Istanbul #100

Top Ten Trends
Mage Knight: Board Game +1 #7
Android: Netrunner -1 #8
Star Wars: Imperial Assault +1 #10

Top 5 Winning Movers
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Roll for the Galaxy
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (second edition)
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Alchemists

New Highest Peaks
Mage Knight: Board Game #7
Star Wars: Imperial Assault #10
Roll for the Galaxy #35
Castles of Mad King Ludwig #46
Alchemists #56
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game #60
Codenames #63
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective #64
Pandemic Legacy #72
The Voyages of Marco Polo #80
BattleLore (Second Edition) #96

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

The fact that it is a Sherlock week only ranks as the fifth biggest piece of news for the week.
#4: Star Wars: Imperial Assault rises into the top ten.
#3: 11 total games reach new peaks this week, the largest I can recall in any week.
#2: Pandemic Legacy enters the listing at #72 and Codenames bounds to #63.
#1: Two new games in means that TWO games that had never missed the chart before both drop: YINSH and Ra. The remaining 17 games that have been on every chart are:
Puerto Rico
Tigris & Euphrates
Power Grid
The Princes of Florence
El Grande
War of the Ring (first edition)
Age of Steam
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Paths of Glory
Go
Twilight Imperium (third edition)
Goa
Memoir '44
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride
Crokinole
Tichu

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arsenal fanMicrobadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Golden State Warriors fan Microbadge: Marvel Cinematic Universe fanMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fan
Ra out of the Top 100 and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game moving higher shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Ra out of the Top 100 shake and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game moving higher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
Is Istanbul really that good? I only played once and never looked at it again because the game I played seemed very luck dependent had a runaway leader, thus there was really no fun or tension that game.

Maybe it was a fluke--there are so many ways to set up the board. I might have to give it another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love France!Microbadge: I love books!Microbadge: Bordspelmania.eu userMicrobadge: Volleyball playerMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
YINSH and Ra? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:
Is Istanbul really that good? I only played once and never looked at it again because the game I played seemed very luck dependent had a runaway leader, thus there was really no fun or tension that game.

Maybe it was a fluke--there are so many ways to set up the board. I might have to give it another look.
I disliked Istanbul immensely, having played it 2-3 times. My issue with it is how many turns you lose recovering when someone blocks a critical move from you. I'm alone in my dislike though. The group loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
SHERPB:GUDPWBDIUBDOUYWBD:QASMKALSLOOCCCKKKK!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also, woah, big week. Does the rapid ascendancy of Codenames and Pandemic Legacy means they'll likely be top 10ers eventually? Or have others entered with as much fanfare, only to peak much earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:

I really enjoy it. I like the variable setups and it plays quickly even with 5. If everyone is on point it takes like 45 min to play. My biggest issue is that it's a simple game but it takes awhile to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really suprised to see Alchemists reach a new peak. I thought that once the novelty wore off it wouldn't hold up. That the deduction element is the focus but it is a deduction game second and worker placement first makes it really quirky, and it isn't the cleanest worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is the only true party game (Not Resistance or similar) that has ever made the top 100 in my time.

I know no one cares, but 11 is the third largest number of peaking games since I started tracking it in Feb. 2006.

#1 38 Mar. 21 06 (The big rating shake-up)
#2 12 Apr. 7 15
#3 11 Nov. 3 15
#4 10 Feb. 21 06
10 Mar. 28 06
10 May 7 13
10 Sep. 3 13
10 Mar. 25 14
10 Jun. 2 15
10 Sep. 1 15

It seems like the charts are regressing to their older more volatile selves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marco polo and Alchemists <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
BaSL wrote:
YINSH and Ra? shake
Add Glory to Rome at #99. You know, it kind of helps to be in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
jmsr525 wrote:
Dixit is the only true party game (Not Resistance or similar) that has ever made the top 100 in my time.
And just to see "Codenames" get as far as it did being a party game is interesting. I am wondering if we'll see a new push to try and create more interesting party game like it.
As someone who is quite well known for his dislike of party games, I must say I do like Codenames.

But Yinsh and Ra? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Also, woah, big week. Does the rapid ascendancy of Codenames and Pandemic Legacy means they'll likely be top 10ers eventually? Or have others entered with as much fanfare, only to peak much earlier?
I don't know if it would totally shock me to see Pandemic: Legacy in the top 10 one day. Top 20 or 30 is obviously more likely, but just about every review I've seen or read has heaped immense praise onto that game.

Codenames won't hit top 10 but it does say a lot that a party game has shot up so quickly. I could see it landing in the 30-40 range. Heck, I own it and play it all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtacular wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:
I don't know if it would totally shock me to see Pandemic: Legacy in the top 10 one day. Top 20 or 30 is obviously more likely, but just about every review I've seen or read has heaped immense praise onto that game.

Codenames won't hit top 10 but it does say a lot that a party game has shot up so quickly. I could see it landing in the 30-40 range. Heck, I own it and play it all the time.
I can't fully understand the popularity behind pandemic (played it back around its conceptions), then again a full rehash with some extra bits. Then again, look how much people love caverna shake. Then again the only people jumping on it will be folks who love Pandemic, so it will get an overwhelmingly positive review as a consequence. I will assert, again, that I don't feel like # of votes is a big enough factor in the rating system (or in other words, the system does not necessarily have enough inertia). 939 votes is enough to break the top 100 at 72?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IA in and Eclipse out of the top 10? Is IA that much better than Descent? I haven't played IA yet, but from what I've heard it's a streamlined, SW-themed Descent. If that's all there is to it, then I think it's sad to see it bump Eclipse down.
And I found Pandemic a snoozefest, so shoo from the top 100! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Wormaap wrote:
Is IA that much better than Descent? I haven't played IA yet, but from what I've heard it's a streamlined, SW-themed Descent.
Not necessarily better, but slightly different, and some of the gameplay offenses fixed.

With no actual playing experience about Descent (2e), I wouldn't call IA streamlined (except for the mission structure) but tweaked and adjusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bit of a bump, but I want it on record that I think Pandemic Legacy is going to be the #1 game soon.

It's got the War of the Ring (Second Edition) effect where many people will know they'll enjoy it already going in, which inflates its average rating compared to most new offerings. But it also has Pandemic's massive BGG fanbase (4th most ratings of any game on BGG). And, of course, it actually appears to be a great game based on reviews I've read/watched. That kind of pedigree is almost impossible to replicate.

There will be a backlash bc people think the ratings are serious business, and there may be tweaks and corrections. I'm not saying it will stay there indefinitely. But the potential is there in a way that it isn't for any other game on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls