6 Posts

Pirate's Cove» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sunday night I played Pirate's Cove for the first time (with 5 players.) I played with a group of friends who were interested in playing, mostly because it had a pirate theme and because of the great artwork. Well, I had read over the rules once and thought I had a basic feel for it.

After a few rounds I just felt like I wasn't getting it. It seemed more luck based than what I had wanted from the game. Those who could avoid comba and get 'free treasure' seemed to thrive while those who lost combats were behind most of the game and couldn't seem to catch up. Actually, we didn't even finish the game because it was late. Everyone did say they enjoyed the game though.

Last night I played again with some different friends, this time with only 3 players. I had a better understanding of all the rules this time and got everything right. But the game still didn't grab me. Again it seemed that whoever got the most treasure cards at the outer island was the one who came out on top. And 12 rounds didn't seem long enough to gather treasure chests and bury them on Treasure Island to get fame. And it wasn't long enough for a player to make a comeback either.

Granted there was a lot of flashes and bangs and shiney things to make the game look fun, but to me there wasn't enough game to it. That must have been my opinion only because as I was putting the game away my two friends said "This is my new favorite game." So now I guess I have to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of with you there. Having enjoyed quite a bit the previous Days of Wonder games I've played, I was really looking forward to this game. I also played with three, and came out of the game thinking I could take it or leave it. I guess a bit disappointed compared with the other games, but wasn't outright a bad game. Maybe I need a few more games of it under my belt..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been looking into a variant or two to address some of the downfalls I've seen. Nothing too drastic, just minor changes. Then I'll see what develops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I play with a more confrontational bunch, and we like to second guess people, and take on the Legendary Pirate. Hopefully the expansion coming out this year has some more "confrontational" cards to make people want to fight a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same impressions of this game. Although I do not own it, I was in the market to buy it and had the chance to play it, it didn't really suck me in as did the other Days of Wonder games. I'm still considering the purchase, but not until I play it a few more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy, got through a few demo rounds with some friends, watched someone else's game, and haven't really felt too compelled to try to get it to the table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.