Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Herculean File UploaderMicrobadge: Platinum Image Uploader
Hello all,

I've recently been creating Flying Colors counters for the Ships of Glory ship bases "I'm about 50% done so far". This would allow you to use your Ships of Glory ships to play Flying Colors rules!

Here is the link to the files if you want to see what is available so far!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124147/flying-colors-...

I recently pulled out my copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men and thought these would also be cool to make so people could use SoG ships to play WS&IM; especially since there are solitaire rules!!!

I'm just trying to see if there is enough interest from people to have me spend the time to do this.

I know a lot of people play WS&IM so if you interested in me creating the counters give me a thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Warriors of God - The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453 fanMicrobadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: 1775: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fan
Re: Checking to see if there is an interest in me making WS&IM counters for the Ships of Glory ship bases?
Heck yes! Funny I have the game but no counters! This would be perfect for my SoG Ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: What a Tanker!Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: Saga fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys
Re: Checking to see if there is an interest in me making WS&IM counters for the Ships of Glory ship bases?
charlescab wrote:
Heck yes! Funny I have the game but no counters! This would be perfect for my SoG Ships!
Charles, you may have to finally show me WSIM - amazingly, I've never played it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ciorra
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I would buy a few ships!!! How much will they be apiece

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Herculean File UploaderMicrobadge: Platinum Image Uploader
pacabn wrote:
I would buy a few ships!!! How much will they be apiece
You can buy the ships from Ares Games direct:

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-of-glory-line

I'm just going to be making the paper counter bases FOR the Ships of Glory ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
Definitely YES!

I don't play SoG, but if I could use the ships for WSIM - I'd probably buy some just to demo WSIM at conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arrrh As some 'corollary' production, then what about making "Likewise" for the vessels of: Pirates of the Spanish Min ? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Mustangs fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fanMicrobadge: Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975 fan
Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GROGnads wrote:
arrrh As some 'corollary' production, then what about making "Likewise" for the vessels of: Pirates of the Spanish Min ? whistle
I'm just creating bases for Ship of the line games that only have counters.

Pirates of the Spanish Main already has actual ships so this wouldn't need bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Here is what I've come up with!

Let me know if you guys like these and I will start making the sheets!

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
Microbadge: Age of Sail enthusiastMicrobadge: Civil WargamerMicrobadge: Napoleonic WargamerMicrobadge: Model ShipwrightMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ years
I can't recall needing anything on the counter besides the ID and some indication of which end was forward. The color code and first two digits of the ID are repetitious (unless you have problems seeing some colors), the ID, color code AND national colors further repetition still.

Maybe a 2 digit ID and national colors at the stern so you know where the bow should be, and that's it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Willis
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper File Uploader
kingspud wrote:
Hello all,
I've recently been creating Flying Colors counters for the Ships of Glory ship bases "I'm about 50% done so far". This would allow you to use your Ships of Glory ships to play Flying Colors rules!
Joseph, thank you for such an ambitious and creative contribution to the naval wargaming community! May the blessings of the almighty Neptune be upon you.

Since you asked, if you would ever consider making counters for Sails of Glory bases for the Flying Colors system expansion, Serpents of the Seas, that would be a godsend.

In particular, the ships used in the Serpents linked scenarios for Lake Ontario would be especially useful to yours truly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Broadsword56 wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Hello all,
Joseph, thank you for such an ambitious and creative contribution to the naval wargaming community! May the blessings of the almighty Neptune be upon you.

Since you asked, if you would ever consider making counters for Sails of Glory bases for the Flying Colors system expansion, Serpents of the Seas, that would be a godsend.

In particular, the ships used in the Serpents linked scenarios for Lake Ontario would be especially useful to yours truly.
Absolutely! I might need a copy of the counter sheet because I don't think I have that expansion yet. If you can come up with an image or a pdf of the expansion counters, I'll create them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
SgtTodd wrote:
I can't recall needing anything on the counter besides the ID and some indication of which end was forward. The color code and first two digits of the ID are repetitious (unless you have problems seeing some colors), the ID, color code AND national colors further repetition still.

Maybe a 2 digit ID and national colors at the stern so you know where the bow should be, and that's it?
So if I understand you correctly, you just want the flag at the stern, the numbers in the corners, and the last 2 digits of the ID, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
Microbadge: Age of Sail enthusiastMicrobadge: Civil WargamerMicrobadge: Napoleonic WargamerMicrobadge: Model ShipwrightMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ years
The second number of the ID tells the class of ship (1,2,3,4), the last two, which ship of that class. With a model on the base, the class is pretty apparent, typically by the number of gun decks.

The two numbers at the stern are the battle/full sail max speeds - not really needed on the counter as it's on the log. The number forward is the direction change rate, again, not really needed on the counter.

It's not what "I want." I'm just pointing out some things I noted from playing the game for 40 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
SgtTodd wrote:
The second number of the ID tells the class of ship (1,2,3,4), the last two, which ship of that class. With a model on the base, the class is pretty apparent, typically by the number of gun decks.

The two numbers at the stern are the battle/full sail max speeds - not really needed on the counter as it's on the log. The number forward is the direction change rate, again, not really needed on the counter.

It's not what "I want." I'm just pointing out some things I noted from playing the game for 40 years.
Let me ask you this, if you were just learning the game but wanted to use your own Ships of Glory ships, wouldn't this information be valuable to you?

I understand that veterans of the game "similar to veteran of ASL" know the counters by heart and don't really need the info but others still might... correct?

Also, you might not have all the different ship classes in your SoG collection and may have to use different type ships for your game, so knowing the class would be helpful.

Just play devils advocate but I appreciate your input.

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
I've taught the game to a pile of people over the years. Basically, a player needs to know which ship is which and what direction it's pointed in - everything else is on his log sheet. Another game of this genre, Close Action, only shows a class number and an ID letter with the ship image on the counter.

Clutter in the form of unneeded data is distracting and makes it harder for the "new player" to learn the game. The speed numbers, for instance, only reflect the ship's speed in one attitude to the wind and doesn't account for the other five attitudes, nor for wind velocity, or battle damage. So, under battle sails, in attitude B, with a rigging section gone, and a heavy breeze - those numbers mean nothing, except confusion for the new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
SgtTodd wrote:
I've taught the game to a pile of people over the years. Basically, a player needs to know which ship is which and what direction it's pointed in - everything else is on his log sheet. Another game of this genre, Close Action, only shows a class number and an ID letter with the ship image on the counter.

Clutter in the form of unneeded data is distracting and makes it harder for the "new player" to learn the game. The speed numbers, for instance, only reflect the ship's speed in one attitude to the wind and doesn't account for the other five attitudes, nor for wind velocity, or battle damage. So, under battle sails, in attitude B, with a rigging section gone, and a heavy breeze - those numbers mean nothing, except confusion for the new player.
Gotcha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pink Ribbon (Breast Cancer Awareness)Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Thomas AquinasMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fan
Joseph,

Are you a member of the Anchorage: http://sailsofglory.org/activity.php?

Very neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
7eat51 wrote:
Joseph,

Very neat idea.
I was a long time ago but don't remember by password or the email address I used! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kingspud wrote:
Here is what I've come up with!

Let me know if you guys like these and I will start making the sheets!

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

From gallery of kingspud

Actually, the original Wooden Ships by Battleline had named ship counters:

Board Game: Wooden Ships & Iron Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pink Ribbon (Breast Cancer Awareness)Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Thomas AquinasMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fan
kingspud wrote:
7eat51 wrote:
Joseph,

Very neat idea.
I was a long time ago but don't remember by password or the email address I used! cry
I'm an administrator on the site. If you ever want to return, please GM me and I will help. Folks would enjoy seeing what you're doing here. I think this is a very cool idea. I wonder how it would translate to Close Action.

We have developed a set of solo rules and solo campaigns for SoG you might find interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
7eat51 wrote:
kingspud wrote:
7eat51 wrote:
Joseph,

Very neat idea.
I'm an administrator on the site. If you ever want to return, please GM me and I will help. Folks would enjoy seeing what you're doing here. I think this is a very cool idea. I wonder how it would translate to Close Action.

We have developed a set of solo rules and solo campaigns for SoG you might find interesting.
I'll PM you today because I want to get back on the site! Take a look here, I've already started the PDF's for Flying Colors!!!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124147/flying-colors-coun...

Once these are finished I can do the Close Action if people want them!

If there is enough interest wink, wink, nudge, nudge... I'll start on them soon!

Joe

NOTE: I really need to try out the solo rules for Sails of Glory, they look so cool!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dreamblade fanMicrobadge: Monsterpocalypse fanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Giga-Robo! fan
kingspud wrote:
Hello all,

I recently pulled out my copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men and thought these would also be cool to make so people could use SoG ships to play WS&IM; especially since there are solitaire rules!!!

I'm just trying to see if there is enough interest from people to have me spend the time to do this.

I know a lot of people play WS&IM so if you interested in me creating the counters give me a thumbs up!

Thumbs up given! I would be very interested in this, and would be grateful for your effort.

Incidentally, you refer to Sails of Glory as "Ships of Glory" in the subject line and original post, which might confuse some search attempts; I only mention it because there might be even more people interested in this that might not have noticed your post.

Cheers,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Eldil wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Hello all,

Thumbs up given! I would be very interested in this, and would be grateful for your effort.

Incidentally, you refer to Sails of Glory as "Ships of Glory" in the subject line and original post, which might confuse some search attempts; I only mention it because there might be even more people interested in this that might not have noticed your post.

Cheers,
Nate
Fixed! Thanks for the catch!

So far I have people interested in Flying Colors, which I'm more than half way finished!
Wooden Ships & Iron Men, plus Close Action!

I'll try to work on all these but I do need to finish Flying Colors first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls