Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played five games now and even had a European victory (for the US in mid-game!), but the space race has never even been close to finished. Anyone have a different experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
As the USA I won the Space race and the game on the last turn. It was a very close game and when we came to count up, the extra VPs I got for landing on the moon won me the game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
just about. I got one space away as the US last game, only because I got to play 2 card per turn. I ended up winning turn 9 so if it had lasted one turn I could have done it. I was playing a total newb though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm done it once outta about 45 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Henrique
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No...3 games and I never finish the space race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the game was published, I have finnished it one time. It was on turn 10, and I used One Small Step to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

After more than 20 plays, I've never even seen it come close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
My memory's a bit hazy, but I think I've done it once, as USSR, with the aid of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can get close when one player is not playing to the space race much or is failing to advance (as 1 player can play 2 cards per turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weir
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played 4 games where both players have been experienced and only One Small Step has gotten anyone close. Playing the USSR in my first winning game of TS dice rolling alone stoped me finishing in turn 7 which was the last turn of the game.

However as the US I tend to burn more cards on the space race and have less success. First game of 2 as US was five boxes in by turn five thanks to Nazi Scientists and may have completed it but that game should have ended earlier thanks to the FAQ on We Will Bury You. I lost that one turn 6. In the last game, lost in turn 5, I used Nazi Scientists and played a card each time rolled poorly missing 4 of 5 and finished in the second box by the end. The USSR played 5 rolled 5 of 5 and won the game exactly the same as before.

Rolling a dice for automatic victory ie 2vp on turn 8 of the second game as USSR and missing does suck when you lose by 2vp in the end of turn 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the following variant rules I employ, completion of the space race becomes a lot more feasible.

a) Add a -1 drm to your space race die roll for every failed space race attempt since the last advance.

b) Add a -2 drm to your space race die roll if using an event card affiliated with your own power.

The main objective of these rules is to allow for more player control/decision-making while equally compensating for bad luck. Allowing for a more historical space race timeline, the portrayal of trial & error engineering progress and extraordinary national efforts are secondary benefits.

These rules at least work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, once. But in that game I realized that finishing the Space Race is not necessary a good thing. Once you complete the Space Race, you no longer have a place to dump those "bad" cards. It's better to just stay ahead of your competition than to actually finish, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Ive played 6 games and seen the space race finished 2-3 times and get close every other time.. Maybe were more lucky in Australia or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MYOB MYOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I won the Space Race in my first game, and the SR in general was what kept my Russia afloat.

The way it happened was that America didn't spend much on the SR and had horrible luck when he did; till Late War, he was at Earth Satellite. I, meanwhile, got good luck and had a lot of bad cards, so I vaulted up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george jaycock
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just literally finished my first TS game and I did indeed complete/ win the space race on turn 9. A small consolation as same turn my opponent played the Aldrich Ames card as headline and 'wiped the floor' with me!gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.