Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: People of the Skull Campaign Opinion (minor gear spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
KD:M is a game that has a lot of random variations so you can play through the vanilla version plenty of times without feeling a need for change. Here are my findings from the People of the Skull variant on P213.

The special rules are:

Each survivor starts with +1 to the stat of their choice.

+1 in the prologue or starting years can make a big difference. The little extra nudge toward a hit or a crit is really noticeable.
Also noticeable is this personalises your survivors. You have Bob the Swift, Lucky Jill or Tom the Brawny. Survivor progression is normally extremely random and for the first time you do have some choice even if your characters start off like Smurfs, only known for one thing. I became much more attached to my peeps and invested more time in giving them personalities and quirks.

You may only place Weapons and Armour with the Bone keyword in your gear grid.

Again this adds character to your settlement. What culture works with bone? Are they cave people, Inuit, Native American, Maori, or necromancers?

It also makes you think. Other than some of the helms there isn’t really any armour with the Bone keyword and you can’t make a full set of any armour to gain bonuses either so you will be taking a lot of damage. Without armour you have so many more slots free for tactical gear. You can still use Monster Grease, Lucky Charms, and so on and it encourages you to have a second look at how powerful things like Blood Paint, Boss Mehndi and Bone Earrings really are. The Pickaxe and the Sickle are both bone weapons and useful tools for extra resources too.

Weapon wise you can still use the Zanbato and other potent weapons (you get to ignore the Frail Keyword) but don’t get to use rare gear such as the Twilight Sword or Lantern Halberd. Once you reach metal weapons you have to stop. But this is alleviated by…

4 survivors may perform a ritual using a skull basic resource to add +1 to all their stats

This provides the little boost that more accurate, stronger and faster weapons you don’t have access to would provide. It definitely helps but the skull is the rarest basic resource and not found in the monster decks so chances are you won’t be doing this often. I think I did it once every 3 years. Don’t forget terrain can provide you with skulls too. This doesn’t get overpowered as you aren’t doing it each year and survivors do die off.

I found it incredibly fun. It made me look at gear more closely and use items I had never used before. The Lion Skin Cloak has the Bone keyword. Accessories such as Masks don’t count as armour. The Scavenger Kit gets you more resources and so a higher chance of Skulls.

Other than Bone Darts there are no ranged weapons. You can’t use the usual Bow and Arrow which definitely hurts you. You must come up with other ways to deal with this instead.

Your Crafters have far less usable gear. You really need to think about the viability of spending the time to unlock them and to make Leather and Iron just to make a single item. Is it worth it? Should you be using Shrine each Year instead? I liked this extra logistical pressure.

You can’t use your waist Cloth or Founding Stone gear. You start with a totally blank grid and only Fist & Tooth. That’s a challenge I can tell you. As Founding Stones are useless I substituted a Skull whenever I gained one as this seemed more useful and thematic as Founding Stones are a great boon to find.

You might consider if you have Cannibalise that the resource you get is a skull unless they died with a head injury. Or that each starting survivor has a Skull instead of a Founding Stone. This will help get you off to a survivable start.

This variation does make the game harder and more thought provoking and it could be a long time before you want to try something like that. But you don’t need to wait for the expansions to expand the game, you can do it today by reading page 213.

Happy gaming

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ambit
msg tools
mb
I don't write this to argue, but when I was looking for information on this variant, this post came up and very little else.

Our experience with the Skull campaign thus far (LY 12), tells that extra skulls are definitely not needed. While the prologue and 1st lion fight were difficult, following that it became very easy. With monster grease, taking evasion as your +1 from a bone name, and doing a skull ritual on a guy easily puts them at +3 evasion. Paired with standing in grass (another +2) means you're only hit on 7s. This makes lion farming pretty routine and easy regardless of gear. Once you get past the first 2 fights, and get a lion cloak, you rarely get hit and don't get hit hard. At LY10 we had a few that had been on two skull rituals and had 3 green affinities (with monster grease) so were only being hit on 9s in the grass. For nemesis encounters where they hit on 3 or 4+ innately, that's only being hit on 10s. Since you also have all of this plus stats, our damage dealers are all critting on 6s and 7s which easily makes short work of monsters (especially with zanbatos).

Anyway the variant is still quite fun and a change from the normal campaign but I feel it is in no way harder (in fact it's way easier) if you can get past the first 1-3 fights. We haven't been unusually lucky on hunts either (best guy ate by a wurm, a few dying to triathlons and a few others in the early 2-3 fights) so I would avoid making it easier by granting free skulls from cannibalism or other events. The skull ritual is way too powerful. The group just needs to survive long enough to get past the first few fights, get a zanbato and grease, and then it's super easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Some things that are still pretty rough in my experience with People of the Skull:

-King's Man if you have no shields.

-Level 2 Lion if you do not have Dash (which we did not... Grab laughs at our high Evasion)

On the other hand, the +speed bonuses make a frenzied zanbato wielder absolutely gross, and it's getting to the point where my buffed survivors rarely have to suffer through more than one turn on a level 1 monster. The sheer volume of attacks and bonus STR plus a Surge for a second go usually wrecks the monster. Traps are a danger, of course.

I have a suspicion that at the higher end of things, the lack of defense beyond Evasion may be problematic. I'll have more data after I rumble with the Hand and a Phoenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ambit
msg tools
mb
We are on year sixteen, it gets no harder. Having five or more evasion base means most monsters can't even hit you unless they roll very high. Equip acanthus from some antelopes just in case. Just don't go after levels twos without dash, but that isn't a unique tip to people of the skull. We farmed level one antelope with luck guys for most of the game after getting lion cloaks and zanbatos for all. Crits on sixes only take one skull ritual to get obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theambit wrote:
Crits on sixes only take one skull ritual to get obtain.

Not to nitpick, but is it actually taking two skull rituals to crit on sixes or just one and I'm missing something? Zanbato (locked up) crits on a 9, base +1 stat to luck makes it an 8 and a skull makes it a 7. Are you also counting on a valid luck stone for the 6? Or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you are evidently drawing more skulls than we are. We went seven years before finding our first one, and then lost two of the beneficiaries after only one more hunt due to an unfortunate settlement event. So after eight years we basically have half a skull. This is not easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dragonnyxx wrote:
Most of you are evidently drawing more skulls than we are. We went seven years before finding our first one, and then lost two of the beneficiaries after only one more hunt due to an unfortunate settlement event. So after eight years we basically have half a skull. This is not easy.

Maximize your critical hits early on with gear and stats to get more resources from critically hitting hit locations.

Game the resource deck with anything that allows you to pull resources (use the endeavor at the stone circle that allows you to draw additional basic resources in place of monster specific resources).

Use cat's eye circlet and high crit chance weapon and items. Remember that a fist and tooth attack with +1 luck (if you assign that as your base stat from the people of the skull) already crits on an 8+ and after you get a skull ritual you're now critting on a 7+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.