Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Warriors is Risk: The Card Game. It plays so much like it and from my understanding as a shared history of being just that. Even so, this might be a worse game. I'm not sure anyone who play(s)ed Risk as clamoring for the card version. Much of its appeal came from the "dudes on a map" and conquering the world.

If you are going to make Risk a card game this is a fine game. Would it have been terrible to come up with a less generic name than "Warriors" though? I kept thinking "Warriors come out! Come out Warriors". Enough about that. You will find everything a little generic in this game. Orcs, wizards, the art, the game mechanics, the dice. Sigh. I realize this is an older game, but nothing stands out as innovative or new. Same old things we have seen before.

As for the game, the game is fairly fun, quick, and last about the right amount of time. It is a cluster though. You never know who is going to attack or where from. You don't want to be ahead in this game (if people can do the math in their head and figure it out as there is no way to track score in this game). The number of attack cards in the deck are so few, it is likely that you never get any. Just sit back and hope for the best! I played a two player game once where in three rounds one player never got any attack cards and another player only got 1 in round 3. Needless to say, that was a very boring game. You almost need to make sure those attack cards come out and come out early or the game is very stale and you sort of just sit there. It is possible that an attack card never comes out in a two player game.

Another good aspect of the game is the set collection and discarding of cards. Do you need more dice? An archer to add to your dice? or a Calvary that will allow you to attack again? Or is it more important to just focus on VP and now really how the armies are built? This can be a hard decision but an important one. If you knew who had attack cards or even if there were any attack cards currently held your decision may be different. This little cat and mouse game can be fun. Then you roll dice and lose a few guys and frustration sets in.

The game has flaws. I think there are better card games on the market. It is a cheap game currently and it does have some bite. If you like Risk, I highly recommend you checking this game out. Otherwise, feel free to leave this one on the shelf and move on.

Purge.

Components:

The components are good. You get 5 generic dice (red and black) and a very large deck of cards. The art on the cards is fantastic and everything is very readable. A player aid would have been nice for the different scoring. This is an oversight at best. The cards are very good quality and will last you a very long time.

Rule Book:

The rules are presented in a horrendous fashion. We get this bizarre fold out rule book that is terrible for reading. The rules as presented are actually pretty good. I was able to learn the game in a single reading. The example of play was pretty good. The book is in full color and provides plenty of examples.

Flow of the Game:

Goal: The goal of the game is to score the most VP at the end of the game. You do this by collecting sets of armies worth different VP and you gain VP for killing the enemy armies.

Player turn:

Round 1 and 2:

1. Draw 7 cards discard 3.

2. Place all your cards in matching armies and any attack cards are placed in front of an army.

3. Battle (more on this in a minute.

Round 3:

1. Draw 7 cards discard 2 (everything else is the same).

Battle:

Battles are fairly easy. Each attack cards gives you a slight bonus. Otherwise, you count up the infantry icons in your army and roll that number of dice (3 max for attackers, 2 for defenders).

You compare your highest numbers against each other and highest number eliminates one enemy which goes in your VP pile. Archers add + 1 to your highest roll and Calvary allows you to attack again.

That's it. That's everything. I guess there is a rule about catapults that can attack at anytime and then you discard them. Wizards cannot be attacked unless..... And dragons are super powerful.

Otherwise, this is set collection with the ability to roll dice to make your opponents lose cards and score points for you.

Should I buy this game?:

No. This might work for huge fans of Risk, but the lack of attack cards in the deck kills the game for me. This could be modified, but why not just play a better game? I can't recommend this game for anyone but people who just love card combat games and want something really simple.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb