Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this thread over in the Russian Federation expansion forum: Hunt for the Missing Dragunov - A Quick DTP Exercise

... but I'm thinking that people haven't necessarily subscribed to that expansion's forums, nor are they checking "linked forums" often.

Just so I get a few more eyes and opinions on this before I finalize it and post it to the files section as a PDF, I'm working on adding the Dragunov SVD and its variants. This is what I've come up with so far:

(Click on image to link to image original version)

There's a more in-depth analysis of why I gave it the stats that I have so far over in the original thread, but I'm still waffling over the range 0 kill numbers.

The starting point is the SVD - should it have the same range 0 kill number as the Mk11 or the L129A1? That would seem to make sense. However, I can see arguments for making it a 9.

One reason for making it a 9 is that since the SVDS is handier, it should have a lower kill number (this is the general pattern of the M16 > M4 and L82A2 > L22A1 rifle/carbine combos. At range 0, M16 has 7, M4 has 6, L82 has 6, L22 has 5 - one can surmise this is rationalized by the handiness of the weapon in being able to bring it to bear on a target more easily) - so if you start at 8 for the SVD, the SVDS and the SVU has to be less at 7.

7 is the same kill number as a M-16 or MK14, which seems to be a little low, but increasing the Range 0 kill number for the SVD to 9 also seems high.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or another?

I'm also working on cards for the AKMS, one of the most ubiquitous versions of the Kalashnikov family of rifles after the AKM, as well as the AKS-74U.

Here are the stats I'm envisioning:

AKMS RIFLE

RP Cost: 4

Range...0..1
Reload..2..2
Kill........7..9

Mode...Rolls
Semi.....1
Auto.....3

No Jam
Penetration 1
Loadout Cost 2

4 magazines, 7.62 ammo.

AKS-74U CARBINE

RP Cost: 4

Range...0..1
Reload..2..2
Kill........6..10

Mode...Rolls
Semi.....1
Auto.....3

Purchase XP: 1
No Jam
Loadout Cost 1

5 magazines, 5.45 ammo.

I'm fairly confident with all of these stats for the AKMS and AKS-74U, but feedback or constructive criticism is always welcome.

The other rifle that will go on this page for the PDF is the SV-98.

SV-98 RIFLE

RP Cost: 5

Range...0..1..2
Reload..1..1..1
Kill.......10..6..5

Mode...Rolls
Semi.....1

Penetration 1

4 magazines, 7.62 ammo.

As far as I can tell, this rifle should have near-identical stats to the M40. The principal difference in Real World (tm) terms is that most versions of the M40 has a 5 round magazine, while the SV-98 has 10-round magazines, but I can't reduce the reload number below 1. The SV-98 has a higher muzzle velocity of 820m/s vs. the M40s 777m/s, but I don't think that's significant considering the wider variety of ammunition that possible with the M40.

Any comments on the SV-98?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Narvaez
msg tools
Man those are some really nice cards! Makes me want to hurry up and finish my custom Germany expansion (click on image below for some examples). Hopefully I will finish soon and start testing it out.

I see what you are saying about the Range 0 kill number. I don't know too much about the SVD, but it seems it is meant more as a long range weapon as opposed to close quarters combat. In my mind, its length would make it harder to use close up. Maybe start it at a 9 kill number for Range 0 and then scale your others accordingly. Just my opinion, like I said I have not looked up the real life stats on all the SVDs. It seems like you have done your research on them.

As an example, look at the G36 Rifle and the G36C Carbine down below. I gave the G36 Rifle a better kill number at Range 1 and the G36C Carbine a better kill number at Range 0. In my opinion the Carbine would do better close up.

One thing on your weapon cards, what about the little Russian flag in the upper left corner? That would totally complete the look of already awesome looking cards. Or did you mean for them to not really have a nationality restriction?

Do you plan on making any more weapons or soldier cards? I think you mentioned maybe doing Australian or Canadian forces? That would be really cool to have them as an expansion. I actually thought of doing an expansion with them also. I also started making some French forces, even though I'm not even done with my German expansion, LOL. I also have plans for a Spanish forces expansion. Since I am half Spanish on my mother's side, I thought it would be cool. I was also thinking about making some adversary expansions. I thought of maybe an East Asia (North Korea) expansion or maybe an East Africa (Somalia) expansion.

If you would like, maybe we could work in collaboration on some expansions. I could always use some input on my cards, especially the stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
yikes.. reload (2) and (3!) for a sniper rifle? surprise

Believe it or not, my M82 .50 used up 12 magazines for a 9 or 10 location mission the other day. I was rolling 1's like crazy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
yikes.. reload (2) and (3!) for a sniper rifle? surprise

Believe it or not, my M82 .50 used up 12 magazines for a 9 or 10 location mission the other day. I was rolling 1's like crazy whistle
Well, it's semi-automatic and it only has 10 rounds in the magazine.

Weapons like the M14 rifle (in game) have 20 rounds in the magazine and they have a reload of 3 as well. I gave the SVD a reload of 2 at longer ranges because it would be used in similar ways to the Mk11 and L129 at longer ranges.

Because the magazines are presumably lighter and smaller, I've allowed it to carry more magazines with a standard load.

Does that seem fair, or do you think the reload numbers are still too high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
i'm just having a laugh mate haha those cards look pretty sweet!

I honestly like your idea of having a different reload rating at different ranges

Cards look so legit makes me wonder if I'm missing cards from Exp #6 whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
i'm just having a laugh mate haha those cards look pretty sweet!

I honestly like your idea of having a different reload rating at different ranges

Cards look so legit makes me wonder if I'm missing cards from Exp #6 whistle
Thanks! Rey very kindly pointed out that I'm still missing the Russian flag in the corner, which I'll be adding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Narvaez
msg tools
I think your logic on the reload number is good. The fact that it is semi-automatic and it only has a 10 round magazine, makes your reload number reasonable. The sniper would probably tend to use the rounds faster if he is firing semi-automatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished off the SV-98, AKMS, AK-74U and AK-105. Modified a few stats from those posted above.

Have a look and let me know what you think:

[edit - Just noticed I didn't include the keyword "Carbine" next to the three carbine names. I'll fix that in the next pass - also, with some further reading, it appears that the AK-105 should have the Rails (2) trait]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've made a few changes here and there to RP values, tweaking as I went.

The cards are pretty much ready to go.

I'm going to print them to PDF and post them in the files section, but I have a question for my fellow Warfighter players.

I can format the cards as they are in this file:

Warfighter Card Errata (Wave 1)

...Which is an 8.5x11" page with white space around each card - you'd have to cut out the cards to their thin black line rectangles, then trim them back to the black edges. In the images above, this is how they are laid out.

Alternatively (and this is my preferred layout) I can format them so that they are immediately adjacent one another, separated by a thin white or grey line. This way you can just make cuts right to the edge immediately, rather than cutting then trimming back.

The second layout is my preference, but I can go with the revision card layout as done by DVG if it's the group's preference.

Poll here to vote on:

Poll
Which layout format should the fan-made cards have?

(Note, option 1 allows for small cutting errors if you are using scissors. Option 2 requires more precise cutting, often with a straight edge and a penknife/Xacto blade.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Spaced out, with white space around each card, so that you cut to the thin black line, then trim off excess white.
20.0% 1
All cards adjacent to each other, so that you cut only once along each line and do not have to trim.
80.0% 4
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by Kozure
Closes: Sun Nov 8, 2015 6:00 am

Let me know today, tonight or tomorrow so that I can make the PDF and post it to the file section sometime this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I took pity on the one player who requested the "trimmed-down" version instead of the compressed version and included both in the submitted PDF. I submitted it around 1430h EST on the 7th, so it should be available sometime in the next 24-48 hours unless it is rejected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF file is available for download at this file page:

Russian/Soviet Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles and Airborne Carbines for Warfighter

As noted on the file page, if you just click on the link it will bring up a gibberish PDF for some reason. Right click on the link, select "save link as..." and you should get a successful download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls