14 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moved cars and to be moved cars in the same corner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Page 2: …. Simply ignore those cars that have played their individual turn already. They may still defend themselves in a contest but they cannot take a new turn.
Page 11: …. These situations are normal and those cars who have not moved yet take their turn trying to unlap themselves if they have enough movement points to spend or battling between them if not obstacled by driver who have already moved.

Thes two rules seem to be contradictionary.
Page 11 seems to tell me that no contest takes place between a car which has already moved and (a) car(s) that are still to be moved.
In which case has a car to defend itself in a contest if already moved, as on page 2? Is there an example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Race! Formula 90 fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Builder iOS fanMicrobadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Burninating Peasants fanMicrobadge: Rod Hockey fan
The first quote is from page 6 in the rule book. It took me a minute to figure out what paragraph you were quoting from.

You are not alone in the confusion on this. It is a rare case where the leader laps cars and ends their turn in a corner, splitting other cars. It creates a sub-section with the line right in front of the leader. Figure 3 on page 12 is the printed example of this. There is no contest on blue's turn according to the rule book.

However, Alessandro has suggested a new resolution to this somewhere in the forums. It was really confusing though, so I would just use the rule book until an official printed clarification comes out. Alessandro has said that he will give us an updated rule book with further clarifications on contests this fall.

Other players use a house rule so that a normal contest takes place in Figure 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: Race! Formula 90 fanMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fanMicrobadge: Gears of War: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game fan
I'm rewriting the rulebook in brazilian portuguese. After Alessandro finish the rulebook, I will update the rules.

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I had also an answer from Alessandro through mail:

Quote:
The sense of these rules is that if you have already moved you cannot initiate a new contest, you can only defend if someone else declared a contest against you.
This rare case happens when the leader of the race laps another player car and both are in a corner section. Now the just lapped player can declare a contest against the leader and the leader can defend.
Now imagine same example as above but Leader has another player car in front in the same corner section. So the situation is three cars in this corner section: X(lapped), Y(Leader), Z with Z in front. X does not contest. Because of the rules below Y cannot contest (he can only defend and there is none attacking him). Without the rule below Y could contest against Z and eventually gain a position after taking its turn, which is what we wanted to avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Race! Formula 90 fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Builder iOS fanMicrobadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Burninating Peasants fanMicrobadge: Rod Hockey fan
That makes sense on why he did not want the leader (who already moved) to be able to challenge the car in front. He did not want the leader to pick up a position when it is not their turn.

So figure 3 on page 12 stands.

Another example came up in the forums a few months ago. Someone that was about to be lapped took a pit stop and ended in a corner with other players that were on the lead lap, and now the pitting player was lapped. After the pit stop the order was

front of corner section
leader
playerA
playerB
playerC(-1, just pitted)

It is now playerC's turn and they can declare a contest. The other players can defend or decline. After the contest the only player that can take their individual turn is playerC. "Page 6: Simply ignore those cars that have played their individual turn already. They may still defend themselves in a contest but they cannot take a new turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Please note that the 3.0L Engines rule book should clear up any confusion on this. See the second example on page 19.

Front of section
Fast Robot
-- subsection break
Leader
player (-1)
slow robot (-1)

By limiting the contest to the subsection with the leader, this guarantees that the leader cannot pick up position.

If the lapped player wins the contest, then they move into the subsection with the Fast Robot and play their turn when that section is activated. This allows lapped players to now get a chance to put a gap between them and the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: Race! Formula 90 fanMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fanMicrobadge: Gears of War: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game fan
Sorry my english

ok, I understand. The leader splits the section in two subsections. Each subsection must be treated individually (congratulations Guys, easier to understand).

Question: The Bonuses/penalty corner is applied in the leader of subsetion? I think that no (I don't found in the rule).

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lock 'n Load fanMicrobadge: Fan of the Thunder Alley gameMicrobadge: Bolt ActionMicrobadge: Battle Cry fanMicrobadge: Cycling fan
Is Iyellow a robot or human car?
If robot car it doesnt defend and moves to the back during the contest.
If it's a human car it will defend.

But I guess since the corner is split in two, it must be a robot car and therefor moved to the back.

But your question about the bonus for the corner, must give +1 to the leader since the robot car was the first car in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
The yellow car is a robot, but it does not matter. All cars in the section other than the yellow car will get the plus one bonus. The current contest is just the purple, orange and leader.

The contest at the end of the turn will be between the now unlap per player and the yellow robot, who will defend his position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lock 'n Load fanMicrobadge: Fan of the Thunder Alley gameMicrobadge: Bolt ActionMicrobadge: Battle Cry fanMicrobadge: Cycling fan
ryan3740 wrote:
The yellow car is a robot, but it does not matter. All cars in the section other than the yellow car will get the plus one bonus. The current contest is just the purple, orange and leader.

The contest at the end of the turn will be between the now unlap per player and the yellow robot, who will defend his position.
Fair enough.
We play with the variant 0, +[, +2, and so on, so that's what puzzled me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arz man
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shuffle ImpairedMicrobadge: Component BaggerMicrobadge: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: I speak Catalan
ryan3740 wrote:

After the contest in the leader subsection, it would be the turn of the purple slow robot (because he is activated right behind the leader). Robots never unlap themselves so nothing happens.

But what would happen if the purple car was a player instead of a robot?
I assume he would take his turn right after the leader, before the cars in the subsection ahead (yellow & orange), right?
Would he pay MPs to unlap himself and would automatically join the end of the subsection ahead? or would he stay at the front of the leader subsection? Is the only way to move to a subsection ahead via contest?

If he gets into the front subsection will he participate in the upcoming contest?
If so, let's assume he wins. He already moved, so can't move anymore. Does he just become a nuisance to the yellow and orange cars?

If there had been no cars ahead, after the contest with the leader, he could have unlapped and advanced several sections. Do the cars ahead limit how far he can go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
arzman wrote:

After the contest in the leader subsection, it would be the turn of the purple slow robot (because he is activated right behind the leader). Robots never unlap themselves so nothing happens.

But what would happen if the purple car was a player instead of a robot?
I assume he would take his turn right after the leader, before the cars in the subsection ahead (yellow & orange), right?
Would he pay MPs to unlap himself and would automatically join the end of the subsection ahead? or would he stay at the front of the leader subsection? Is the only way to move to a subsection ahead via contest?

If he gets into the front subsection will he participate in the upcoming contest?
If so, let's assume he wins. He already moved, so can't move anymore. Does he just become a nuisance to the yellow and orange cars?

If there had been no cars ahead, after the contest with the leader, he could have unlapped and advanced several sections. Do the cars ahead limit how far he can go?
If the order after the contest is
yellow robot
player1
leader
player2

Then Player2 gets to move, uses 2 MP to unlap and then stops. It cannot overtake cars on the same lap in the corner, unless it has a track card that allows it to overtake in that corner or banging wheels. It is now in the sub-section in front of the leader.

When the turn gets around to that sub-section (near the end of the game turn) then Player2 has already taken her turn and cannot declare a contest. Player1 can declare a contest against the yellow robot, which will defend.

Then yellow robot and Player1 will play their individual turns. Player2 has already taken her individual turn and will not play again this game turn.

Next turn begins and the leader can declare a contest with Player2, which can defend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975 fanMicrobadge: Race! F90 FanMicrobadge: I respond to all trade offersMicrobadge: Western fanMicrobadge: Washington Capitals fan
Quote:
Then Player2 gets to move, uses 2 MP to unlap and then stops. It cannot pass cars on the same lap in the corner, unless it has a track card that allows it to pass in that corner or banging wheels. It is now in the sub-section in front of the leader.
You mean overtake. Overtake has a specific meaning; pass does not. "Pass" could mean overtake, lap, and unlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification Stan. I have fixed the post.

I noticed you are listed as a playtester in the rulebook for expansion 2. Will you share your thoughts with us on the new tracks, skills and strategies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls