Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Dice fanMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!Microbadge: King of Thrifters
I've gathered up some of my thoughts on the game and published them on my blog:

http://windthefrogblog.com/polish-robots-and-kickstarter/

There's also a short list of tips for new players at the end of the post.

I'm looking forward to retiring my pnp copy next Summer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:

Thank you very much for the post, it means a lot to me that it was the Automa helped win you over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post there. You triggered an epiphany for me. I need to print out Morten's Automa deck and use that as a 3rd player when my son and I play. It should crowd up the board a bit and also give us a class on how to play better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Thank you very much for the post, it means a lot to me that it was the Automa helped win you over.
Without Automa I would not have backed this game... so thank YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have backed the game without Automa BUT, I am way more excited to have the game with Automa. The game is probably on the heavier side for my wife and too heavy for my daughter so I'm sure I will be learning against Automa and then when I just have to play it I will always have solo as a choice if my wife isn't up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
I would have backed the game without Automa BUT, I am way more excited to have the game with Automa. The game is probably on the heavier side for my wife and too heavy for my daughter so I'm sure I will be learning against Automa and then when I just have to play it I will always have solo as a choice if my wife isn't up for it.
Similarly; my main game partner, my fiance, sometimes is put off by attritional conflict, so we weren't sure if he'd enjoy Scythe's combat (I wouldn't go as far as to put him on Rahdo and Jen's level of carebearness, it's specific styles of direct getting at each other player that he doesn't get on with) or if it would be non-attritional enough for him, but with the Automa that isn't so much of a problem - I can get this to the table weather or not he enjoys it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
mayneric wrote:
Similarly; my main game partner, my fiance, sometimes is put off by attritional conflict, so we weren't sure if he'd enjoy Scythe's combat (I wouldn't go as far as to put him on Rahdo and Jen's level of carebearness, it's specific styles of direct getting at each other player that he doesn't get on with) or if it would be non-attritional enough for him, but with the Automa that isn't so much of a problem - I can get this to the table weather or not he enjoys it.
From what I've seen, combat is just about as non-attritional as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
Gizensha wrote:
mayneric wrote:
From what I've seen, combat is just about as non-attritional as you can get.
It's the loss of any resources on the hex I'm unsure about. The loss of the territory itself should be fine, he enjoys Twilight Struggle for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:

It's the loss of any resources on the hex I'm unsure about. The loss of the territory itself should be fine, he enjoys Twilight Struggle for example.
That's a real thing. Can't let the supplies sit too long on the shelf. It's a neat aspect of the game; the things you produce exist in the region where they're produced instead of being magically whisked off to safety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
Gizensha wrote:

That's a real thing. Can't let the supplies sit too long on the shelf. It's a neat aspect of the game; the things you produce exist in the region where they're produced instead of being magically whisked off to safety.
Not saying it's a bad thing for the game, and it's an aspect of the game I'm looking forward to; it just might make the game slightly too attritional for his usual tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Dice fanMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!Microbadge: King of Thrifters
bird94us wrote:
Gizensha wrote:

When I first tried combat I'll admit that I didn't think it through. I just wanted to shake things up a bit, saw that someone had some oil, and I was lucky enough to have the player mat that paired Move with Upgrade (which uses oil). So I moved in, beat the other guy down, and then spent his oil on my Upgrade. Ha ha!

But as I noted in the blog, he then saw that I was short on military power and very vulnerable, and decided to take the territory right back for a star. Of course his oil was all gone by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mortenmdk wrote:
bobpony wrote:

I think what the Automa deck did was it gave me a big bump in cycles of learning. I can get through an Automa game in about seventy-five minutes, and each time it gives me something new to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: I'm obsessed with Obsession!Microbadge: Dikke knuffel (Big Hugs) for everybody
mortenmdk wrote:
Without the automa, I would not have backed Scythe, and that is despite my love of Jakub's artwork and world-building. Thank you, Morten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
bobpony wrote:

It really hooked my interest, after just casually following the progress before that. With automa I can still play if my wife doesn't like it, until my sons do too. But once I started reading about how combat is more of a push+resource+star grab rather than elimination, that gave me hope my wife will play it too.

But automa started me down that road, so a hearty thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, guys modest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls