BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: When a game is coming home rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently came accross the game Bretagne, which is about the building of lighthouses in the 19 th century. I can actually see one of the lighthouses, Ile Vierge, from my living room ! I am looking forward to getting a copy of this game .

So, do you have an example of a game being linked to where you live ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than Monopoly re-themes, not so much. I do get a thrill out of games with maps that feature locations I've been to, though. Railroad Tycoon comes to mind, I always enjoy connecting the various east coast cities. I get a similar pleasure out of TransAmerica.

I also have a game idea kicking around my head involving a deck of streets from places I've been. I'm not sure what the scoring would be like, but there would be multiple copies of Peachtree Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a graduate of Michigan Tech and spending 4.5 years of my life in Houghton, Copper Country was an easy sell for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Boster
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Kansas Pacific on Kickstarter simply because my hometown (a small town south of Wichita) is on the game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Québec reminds me of home, as does Power Grid: Québec/Baden-Württemberg. Ironically I own neither of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly J
United States
Kingsford
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
Being a graduate of Michigan Tech and spending 4.5 years of my life in Houghton, Copper Country was an easy sell for me.
Same here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Railways of the World has Talahassee on its Eastern United States map. Considering all the cities more significant in the 19th century than Tallahassee, that was pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing as interesting as somewhere I can see from my house. However places I know well being a Londoner such as Clerkenwell Green, Fleet Street, Cheapside, Hatton Garden, Holborn, Farringdon, The Temple and Covent Garden can be found in

London
Great Fire of London: 1666

And then the places I've spent many holidays at over the years such as St. Ives, Zennor and Mousehole can be found

Cornish Smuggler

Seeing places I know well adds something extra to a board game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss plays over a map of my country, and the cards depict events, places and military tech from the civil war between the government and the FARC insurgent group. Some of that stuff hits pretty close to home, as this conflict dates back to the 70's but is still current (just last month they were signing a treaty that maybe can put an end to it in the coming years), and some of the photos used in the game were taken from the news at the time, with places and people I can see on a regular basis.

On a lighter note, Cartagena takes place in the fortifications that surround the old part of that city (they date back to the 16th century), just a 20-minute flight from where I live. I was there a couple of months ago on vacation, and I have a photo of my family playing Istanbul and other games near the walls of Cartagena... yeah, a missed opportunity because I don't own that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
A new version of Brass: Lancashire that's hopefully going to surface next year will have a 2nd map covering my almost beloved West Midlands. And contains Beer too. Ace. Maybe I can bribe Treefrog to actually get my house drawn on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not linked to where we live now, but the Catan: New York map includes both of the towns where my wife and I were born: mine (Ogdensburg) along the St. Lawrence Seaway, hers (Bingham[p]ton) in the Southern Tier.

A game that came out while we lived in Nashville, TN, was the Music City Edition of Mapple. Our neighborhood was not included, alas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Tate
msg tools
mbmbmb
It has always amused me that Pueblo is one of the market cities in Silverton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortress America, do you see that rocky area west of Washington D.C? That's where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
I live in a suburb of Dallas that has about 30,000 people. I was very surprised when I first played Thunder Alley that one of the fictional team's owner was from my suburb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I recently moved from New York City. As I was preparing to move, I decided to look at getting some games that would remind me of the place I had spent a significant portion of my adult life.

The result was purchasing King of New York and Chinatown with New York: 1901 soon to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Microbadge: "I'm givin' her all I can, Captain!" - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (Scotty)Microbadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: "I'm a doctor, not a . . ." - Dr. Leonard McCoyMicrobadge: "The name of the game is called, uh... fizzbin." - Captain James T. KirkMicrobadge: "Oh, but they do give us something, Mr. Spock. They give us love." - Lt. Nyota Uhura (in The Trouble with Tribbles)
My city, Champaign, is a location on the map of For the People, albeit not one that ever sees any action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby de la Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament involving Robin Hood depicted in Ivanhoe takes place (in the book at least) at the castle of Ashby de la Zouch, which I walk past practically every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spiel-des-jahres.com
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to a localized Monopoly, but way cooler:

Queen Games is situated in my home town Troisdorf, and they did a localized version of their award-winning Alhambra...

Troisdorf: Der Palast von Alhambra Sonderedition

The games artwork features some prominent buildings from Troisdorf... There are a couple of local companies who sponsored the game, but there are also different churches and thinks like that which I know since my childhood.

I was only just dabbling into the boardgaming world and had no idea about Queen Games when I discovered this version... Totally blew my mind back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chez Geek?

But seriously, as a Penzance lad I was going to go with Cornish Smuggler too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost said Oregon, but then I remembered I live in Massachusetts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live on the Underground Railroad path that proceeds north from Ripley, Ohio, which is featured both as one of the few highlighted towns on the board and as a card in the acclaimed Freedom: The Underground Railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm originally from New New Bedford,Ma so when I saw that Dice Hate Me was making a game based off my home town and it's history I got pumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leipzig Germany... a number of Napoleon games to choose from (though not as many as if I would live in Waterloo)...
I was born and grew up in Ostfiesland, same area that Uwe Rosenberg is from. Arle is just a stone throw away from the town I was born in, so Fields of Arle hits close to home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: No catapults in Carcassonne!Microbadge: Cheers fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Jurassic Park fanMicrobadge: Frasier fan
I'm from the Finger Lakes Region of New York State and am always excited about a game that relates to it somehow.

1776 has Painted Post and Owego as Indian Outposts.
Newtown is about the famous American Revolution battle that took place there.
Formula Dé has the expansion track Formula Dé Circuits 11 & 12: Watkins Glen & Silverstone which includes the track map for Watkins Glen.
Thunder Alley has the Verghn's Grove track. whistle

And I know it's a stretch but I like to think I'm in Finger Lakes Wine Country when I'm playing Vinhos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Microbadge: Got My Kicks on the 66!Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: OGREMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...
LEGIO XIII wrote:
It has always amused me that Pueblo is one of the market cities in Silverton.
Well, nearly every day for over 90 years, a train left from the Monarch Branch (west of Salida) to bring limestone to the CF&I smelters in Pueblo ... so it isn't a reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |