Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm on lantern year 4 of my first campaign, and it's becoming clear that the rule book isn't going to make it. A few more sessions and some of the pages will separate from the binding - despite trying to be very gentle with it.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any useful suggestions? I'd be tempted to pre-emptively put the whole thing into a binder, but the page format isn't binder-shaped

I'm a bit annoyed, honestly.

Cool game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply take it to your local copy place and have it ring spiral bound. It costs peanuts and with a plastic cover, protects the book. I wiil be doing this here shortly when I get the time. I do it with a lot of books.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Arnold
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just got it spiral bound at my local FedEx office. Cost around six bucks and the spiral binding and clear cover make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a photo of the spiral bind that a user posted a while back:

I also plan on doing this eventually... As soon as I get over my hangup about mutilating original game components. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
Here's a photo of the spiral bind that a user posted a while back:

I also plan on doing this eventually... As soon as I get over my hangup about mutilating original game components. cry
It isn't really mutilating it. Regardless, the book is going to get worn regardless, no matter how carefully you handle it.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Keep a close eye on where they cut the binding. They chopped way too much off of mine. It's still usable, but a few of the pages have holes in the first letters of each line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Keep a close eye on where they cut the binding. They chopped way too much off of mine. It's still usable, but a few of the pages have holes in the first letters of each line.
I was going to ask about that. Hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
I was going to ask about that. Hmm
The book itself has more than enough extra space to rebind it with no issues at all. The person rebinding mine cut off what looked like about an inch though... That turned out being just a bit much on 3-4 pages so anything less than that would probably be fine. I'd recommend just clearly telling them to cut off as little as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
After seeing this thread yesterday, and the images that were previously shared, I took the plunge and dropped this off at the local FedEx location.

I'll admit it, I was worried that a botched job would be gut wrenching… It would be. But my fears were misplaced. It turned out to be quite a nice job, the employee literally shaved off as little space as possible. It's barely noticeable, and the book now lays flat, which is just excellent.

It cost $8.31 - including the plastic covers & tax.

As Ski said… Peanuts.

Sorry about them not necessarily being the best orientation… Silly phone codes not agreeing with BGG… and I'm too lazy to mess with it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Bill
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Brett, that looks awesome. Where did you have it done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: I prefer the original TronMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
criticalbill6966 wrote:
Brett, that looks awesome. Where did you have it done?
brrrmanza wrote:
dropped this off at the local FedEx location.
Looks amazing though. I might go do it. Did they say anything about the nudity? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unleashed Kraken
Germany
Gießen
Hessen
flag msg tools
how did you cut of the back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
I literally went to the closest FedEx Office location.

I just went in with the book, and told the dude what I wanted, and to try and cut off as little as absolutely possible - and to plastic cover it, and he obliged…

It was 1.49 for the single cut, 1.25 for the setup fee, and the coil clear cover was 4.99… Like I said, it cost me 8.31 (I had exactly 31 cents in my pocket that was on the dresser, and I just knew to take it. It was weird.)
I dropped it off and they called a couple hours later.

Apparently they don't like to let customers stay in the store while they do it… Something about hovering customers watching adding pressure and all that "because, if we botch it, it's really bad"

My location is open til 11PM, apparently. In quiet, little white suburbia. Everything else is sleeping already, but I stopped by at like 10:45 (night owl), and the guy was like "Looks like a pretty cool game" and that it reminded him of Paranoia, a table top game from the '80's… and the GM was encouraged 3 things: 1 - to create confusion, 2 - to create paranoia, 3 - to kill the bastards!

As I checked out, it was apparent he flipped through it.
I wouldn't be able to resist either.

Luckily when I showed him a few things briefly, there wasn't any big pans of nudity, which says something about how classy the book is overall. I mean, there's maybe a dozen boobs in the rulebook.

Of course, there are a few penes, though.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brrrmanza wrote:
Apparently they don't like to let customers stay in the store while they do it… Something about hovering customers watching adding pressure and all that "because, if we botch it, it's really bad"

My location is open til 11PM, apparently. In quiet, little white suburbia. Everything else is sleeping already, but I stopped by at like 10:45 (night owl), and the guy was like "Looks like a pretty cool game" and that it reminded him of Paranoia, a table top game from the '80's… and the GM was encouraged 3 things: 1 - to create confusion, 2 - to create paranoia, 3 - to kill the bastards!
The first bit is what worries me

Also he was probably talking about Paranoia, which is still on my list of things to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
LL6869 wrote:
brrrmanza wrote:

The first bit is what worries me

Also he was probably talking about Paranoia, which is still on my list of things to play.
Definitely this game… I was too lazy to look it up and "thing" tag it.
It sounded pretty awesome.

You have 6 clones… and you'll definitely use them.

You just gotta let it go, man… Just, drop it off, and then go eat ice cream or something to take your mind off of that book and the 1d1000 shot it'll get maimed and murdered.
Real life isn't KD:M, so the odds of rolling that fateful "1" on your binding roll, are really, really low.

[of course, to me, it's 50/50 - either it's botched, or it's perfect. There is no middle ground, nor need for stats. It happens, or it doesn't - everything else is speculation and conjecture, and I can't be bothered by it]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
That is actually an excellent idea... i have not taken a look inside, just to minimize wear on the book. A PDF would be great...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got it done. $6.99 at my local copy place complete with plastic covers...... Yay!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls