BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Collaborativ game suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat GEMinGame
France
flag msg tools
Hi there

I would love to find a game for my students (20year-old) in order to show their abilities to cooperate, listen and power to propose.
This game could take the shape of a "group exercice" around a dilemma or a problem to solve. It couldn't exceed 30 minutes.
The idea is that, thanks to the game or the case, they would be able to solve a situation collectively, finding the optimal strategy or solution (if there is one).
It is kindly possible to use a board or pieces.
Print'n'Play game are welcoming.

Thanks in advance for your precious advices.
Best

Mathias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
How much creativity are you looking to invoke versus strategy? And how many students will be involved in one game? Do you want them to break apart into small groups, or run something as a whole?

One option that comes to mind is a plane crash scenario, where the group can only grab so many items from a plane before being trapped in the wilderness. Each person prioritizes the items alone first, then discusses with the larger group to come to a consensus. There is not one right answer, although there are certainly better options than others.

Another similar problem is a life raft scenario, where there is only so much food, and the group needs to decide which individuals need to survive to start a new civilization. So the carpenter might be important to build a shelter, but the judge might not be because his skill set is easily replaced. You can mix this up by handing out a background for each person, and let them pitch how vital they are.

Both of those are readily available on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat GEMinGame
France
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for your answer Michael.
My students will be by group of 8.
I like the survival scenarios but I want something new for them, I already made them play on such a scenario.
I like the idea of an interaction with a board (ptinted or not) at the center of table, they would be able to write, to draw, to show something to the other. I also like the idea to interact with objects (physical or imaginary).
I thought about a scenario where they will be invaded by zombies and they would have to take refuge in an old house. They would have ressources to allocate in order to barricade the entries. For sure there would be a optimal way to use the ressources. It also possible to add a disruptiv element during the game.
The dilemma has to be strong enough to make them debate or collabortively find a solution/action plan.

Do you know other scenarios of this nature?

Thanks for your help

Best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cooperative games like you mention, but most do not play in under 30 minutes. They also do not play well with eight people. There are non-cooperative games that may have elements you are looking for - Mafia de Cuba comes to mind.

Designing your own scenario could be fun. You could make it a real time game, to give the game a set playing time and a sense of tension.

For example:
---
Strength and directions of the zombie attacks are determined by a deck of cards, assigning each suit a cardinal direction and the strength indicated by the value on the card.

Another deck is used for baracade cards, with each player being given a few cards in their hand.

Players could use all of their resources right away, but it might be best if they hold off and see which barriers need to be beefed up.

Every so many minutes a card is flipped. This would encourage them to be decisive, and includes the "not making a decision" element.

---

Custom games are much trickier, and unless you have time to playtest them I would advise against it unless they are straight knockoffs of exsisting games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls