Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: I miss State of the Federation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a competitive player but I still used to enjoy their take on competitive cards. I think they saw that as their main reason for being. As important as that was though, I think I miss their occasional strategy and tactics podcasts more. An example was the podcast they did on antimatter mines and another on cloaked mines.

I also liked the recorded games with commentary (the one between Tucker and Dave and the one from the Worlds championship).
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Seymour
United States
St Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Jakub Rozalski Did Nothing Wrong!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do as well, I miss them pissing every one off. I know everyone was offended, but I found them to be hilarious, even if I didn't agree with them. I also feel a lot more questioning buying new ships than I used to when they would talk about them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can just agree to disagree on this one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Seery
msg tools
Don't miss them or their adversarial attitude to the community at all
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah, really enjoyed their unbias divisive opinions. Tucker was amusing and entertaining.

Loved the match up on Youtube: Dave vs Tucker.

I did not always agree with them, but they were unafraid to call things as they saw them and sometimes that type of honestly is needed if we want to steer clear of reoccurring game issues over time. Not to mention that I also got insights on game nuances from them which I may have otherwise missed.

Not saying that I liked how things devolved in the forums in the past, I much prefer the communal vibe we have now. But I really think it is ultimately possible to have a vast (infinite) diversity of opinions while maintaining an amicable forum.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorpenguin wrote:
Don't miss them or their adversarial attitude to the community at all
It helps to clarify who "they" is. I was a part of things, but I have my own things now. Warp Core Breach is fully alive and kicking and a great part of this community.

As they say, "it takes two to tango."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna stay clear of the SotF question, but I'll happily weigh in on the saying "it takes two to tango," because man I hate that saying. In my youth, that was the go-to saying of those who couldn't be bothered to figure out which of two people was actually at fault.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's second only to "the exception that proves the rule" among phrases that are consistently used to defend an obviously false conclusion.

It's completely possible to have a one-sided adversarial attitude. I get that there's no point in rehashing old animosities, but platitudes about how everyone's to blame don't really help either.

</weird rant>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WizKids hates SoTF more than they hate Klingons (but less than they hate proofreading).

I enjoyed the insights of SoTF and their brutal honesty. I didn't always agree as I'm not a power min/max player but I'll take a brutally honest opinion over apologist fawning anytime.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy an unvarnished opinion as much as the next abrasive loudmouth, but are people that concerned that such opinions are in short supply? That we've just become too uncritical and impassive without Will and Tucker's relentless "honesty" filling that crucial gap in the community?

It's also worth mentioning that negativity is often every bit as dishonest and self-serving as positivity. Not to get too RSP in here, but one need only look at American presidential politics for an example of people's readiness to treat bluster and hyperbolic contrarianism as signs of honesty and even expertise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I appreciate Warp Core Breach since I'm a contributor and they have taken over card reviews from SotF. But there was a certain chemistry between Will and Dave and Tucker that was fun and informative and I'm sorry to lose that. I'm not much of a competitive player, but I still liked hearing Will and Tucker and Dave identify likely exploits for the cards and was entertained by what could be done with the new cards.

Also, as I said, I liked the occasional tactics demo that SotF did and wished for more. No-one I know of is doing that in the podcasts on the game today. Granted there are probably only so many topics you could cover for taking basic strategy and tactics and making a podcast about them, but collectively they could sit there on YouTube and iTunes and provide new players a means to come up to speed on playing well. There are a series of YouTube videos on XWing which make for a nice primer to the game. We could have that on STAW.

And there are few games on YouTube you can actually watch. Steve Smith's games are just snapshots and it's hard to learn from those the way you can from the World Championship game and that one game between Dave and Tucker.

This IS a game you can get out and play with your friend just for an hour or two of fun, but it's a lot more than that. Anyone who has played this game a lot realizes that there are a lot of layers of strategy and tactics which lie beneath the surface in the building AND the playing that keeps us interested.

I think SotF did a lot for STAW and Will, Dave, Tucker, (and lately Joseph) and his other guests should be appreciated for the contributions they made and the collossal amount of work it must have been.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss regular videos from Steve Smith. He posts every once in a while but not nearly as much as he used to. His videos are more to my taste. Steve's vidoes were a great way to watch regular people playing for fun rather than WAAC gamers looking for a way to break the game with each card.

At least we still have truflight silverwing making reviews. His videos are the best for the basic facts on a ship, every card is shown as is the model and ship token.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shipyard is filming full length games and putting them online. Granted, they're not super frequent, but they exist. Also reviews of stuff. I don't show the model, but that's because you have Trueflight. Give you a different style.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wilson
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I miss regular videos from Steve Smith. He posts every once in a while but not nearly as much as he used to. His videos are more to my taste. Steve's vidoes were a great way to watch regular people playing for fun rather than WAAC gamers looking for a way to break the game with each card.

At least we still have truflight silverwing making reviews. His videos are the best for the basic facts on a ship, every card is shown as is the model and ship token.
Some of my fondest memories of our games were recorded thanks to Steve. My borg scenario being one I rewatched just recently. If you have a chance, try and get your own group recording games so you can look back and remember the good times, or past strategies or even just as a resource for players.

A big thanks to Steve for his videos. We may disagree about cloaked mines, but you and I agree about fun being the most important thing STAW has to offer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
I play STAW here and there and same goes with the forums so I was disappointed to see the SotF videos stop. Can someone explain what happened? I thought Will and Tucker and Dave were great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper423 wrote:
I play STAW here and there and same goes with the forums so I was disappointed to see the SotF videos stop. Can someone explain what happened? I thought Will and Tucker and Dave were great.
David left to start another podcast with Nick Norris which was more all-inclusive and less competitive oriented, and for preview/review purposes because SotF is pretty much blacklisted by WK for all intents and purposes (Most likely related to the "Official Rules Forums" reactions).

Joseph joined after David left, but shortly after Tucker got fed up with the aforementioned WK blacklist and chose to pull back from the game for a while.

And for me, there honestly just hasn't been anything worth reporting on competitively since we reviewed all the new blinds. The recent waves have been pretty much junk except for 1 or 2 cards (on top of not wanting to become just a ship review show). Literally all the players near me have quit, the closest OPs by me are ~2hours away and running upto 2 months behind, and even the recently announced regionals have been exceedingly disappointing.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
delta_angelfire wrote:
Clipper423 wrote:
I play STAW here and there and same goes with the forums so I was disappointed to see the SotF videos stop. Can someone explain what happened? I thought Will and Tucker and Dave were great.
David left to start another podcast with Nick Norris which was more all-inclusive and less competitive oriented, and for preview/review purposes because SotF is pretty much blacklisted by WK for all intents and purposes (Most likely related to the "Official Rules Forums" reactions).

Joseph joined after David left, but shortly after Tucker got fed up with the aforementioned WK blacklist and chose to pull back from the game for a while.

And for me, there honestly just hasn't been anything worth reporting on competitively since we reviewed all the new blinds. The recent waves have been pretty much junk except for 1 or 2 cards (on top of not wanting to become just a ship review show). Literally all the players near me have quit, the closest OPs by me are ~2hours away and running upto 2 months behind, and even the recently announced regionals have been exceedingly disappointing.

Now that is a sad commentary on the state of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for replying Will. I did appreciate the hard work you put into your channel and your knowledge of the game was outstanding. Hope to see you back in the future!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could state two things that SotF that I particularly enjoyed it would be a) Sharp commentary on the interesting (and frequently unexpected) uses particular cards could be put to and b) the occasional thorough tactical tutorials on various aspects of the game (like Mines or Movement).

Nobody I know of tries to teach the finer points of STAW on YouTube. Perhaps we're past the point where that would be useful but I always enjoy learning something new about the game.

I also liked Tucker's tendency to take bad cards as a challenge and show it was indeed possible to use them. Of course making a silk purse out of a sow's ear doesn't make the original sow's ear better, it just shows imagination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Toomey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've got a lot of love for state of the federation. I'm a relatively new player. Started in January. I watch your old episodes on YouTube all the time. The strategy tips where excellent but more than that you all had a really great dynamic. Synergy you might say.

I'm pleased David is keeping the torch burning with the shipyard. Enjoying those videos too.

As much as I love this game someone needs to stick it to wizkids dammit! I got my scorpion fighters the other day (I live on a small wild windswept island on the edge of wizkids idea of civilisation so everything gets here late).

So anyway. My scorpions, finally arrived here in the UK. I opened them up and was so totally disappointed I went combing they're website for a contact email address to complain. No luck. So out of despiration I took to the rules forum. Told them these things are supposed to have come off the Scimitar! It feels like a Packled's been having a go at them!

Got a kurt reply by email telling me it was off topic so wasn't being posted...

You guys stood up for the little guy. We love you for that and all the best with the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see Steve Smith and his guys start up regular videos again. Trueflightsilverwing is pretty good too, I wish he would do some battle report videos along with his ship reviews.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthToombs wrote:
I've got a lot of love for state of the federation. I'm a relatively new player. Started in January. I watch your old episodes on YouTube all the time. The strategy tips where excellent but more than that you all had a really great dynamic. Synergy you might say.

I'm pleased David is keeping the torch burning with the shipyard. Enjoying those videos too.

As much as I love this game someone needs to stick it to wizkids dammit! I got my scorpion fighters the other day (I live on a small wild windswept island on the edge of wizkids idea of civilisation so everything gets here late).

So anyway. My scorpions, finally arrived here in the UK (seriously wizkids should just ask Donald trump where it is; he won't leave us alone.. shake). I opened them up and was so totally disappointed I went combing they're website for a contact email address to complain. No luck. So out of despiration I took to the rules forum. Told them these things are supposed to have come off the Scimitar! It feels like a Packled's been having a go at them!

Got a kurt reply by email telling me it was off topic so wasn't being posted...

You guys stood up for the little guy. We love you for that and all the best with the future.
In regards to the Scorpions, there are two ways to look at that -- the thematic in-universe way and the game-oriented way. From a game perspective, it sucks for your Scorpions to be so much less capable of fighting than the other existing fighters -- I understand. However the truth is (IMHO) that fighters SHOULD be more of an annoyance than something that is more powerful than a Scimitar or a Dominion Battleship. I guess what I'm saying is that they ALL should have been no more than maybe 3 attack dice.

In-universe, the Scorpion is a REAL fighter in a universe where fighters don't really work. It's small enough to fly through a ship corridor (something you couldn't do with an X-Wing or shuttlecraft). The Peregrine and Hidekis are patrol vessels, much bigger than a real fighter with upscaled weaponry and defensive systems. So it makes sense that the Scorpions are much less capable than the Hidekis or Peregrines.

I'm sorry you're dissapointed though. At least the model is pretty cool. They're still a pretty good bargain on cost. If I were house-ruling things maybe I might try allowing the user of the Scorpions to employ 2 fighter squadrons for a single "tender" vessel. That might still be a bit powerful though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Toomey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
DarthToombs wrote:
I've got a lot of love for state of the federation. I'm a relatively new player. Started in January. I watch your old episodes on YouTube all the time. The strategy tips where excellent but more than that you all had a really great dynamic. Synergy you might say.

I'm pleased David is keeping the torch burning with the shipyard. Enjoying those videos too.

As much as I love this game someone needs to stick it to wizkids dammit! I got my scorpion fighters the other day (I live on a small wild windswept island on the edge of wizkids idea of civilisation so everything gets here late).

So anyway. My scorpions, finally arrived here in the UK (seriously wizkids should just ask Donald trump where it is; he won't leave us alone.. shake). I opened them up and was so totally disappointed I went combing they're website for a contact email address to complain. No luck. So out of despiration I took to the rules forum. Told them these things are supposed to have come off the Scimitar! It feels like a Packled's been having a go at them!

Got a kurt reply by email telling me it was off topic so wasn't being posted...

You guys stood up for the little guy. We love you for that and all the best with the future.
In regards to the Scorpions, there are two ways to look at that -- the thematic in-universe way and the game-oriented way. From a game perspective, it sucks for your Scorpions to be so much less capable of fighting than the other existing fighters -- I understand. However the truth is (IMHO) that fighters SHOULD be more of an annoyance than something that is more powerful than a Scimitar or a Dominion Battleship. I guess what I'm saying is that they ALL should have been no more than maybe 3 attack dice.

In-universe, the Scorpion is a REAL fighter in a universe where fighters don't really work. It's small enough to fly through a ship corridor (something you couldn't do with an X-Wing or shuttlecraft). The Peregrine and Hidekis are patrol vessels, much bigger than a real fighter with upscaled weaponry and defensive systems. So it makes sense that the Scorpions are much less capable than the Hidekis or Peregrines.

I'm sorry you're dissapointed though. At least the model is pretty cool. They're still a pretty good bargain on cost. If I were house-ruling things maybe I might try allowing the user of the Scorpions to employ 2 fighter squadrons for a single "tender" vessel. That might still be a bit powerful though.
I see where your coming from. And I agree they are a really cool model. I repaint a lot but I don't feel the need to do anything to these.

For competitive play I probably wouldn't take them over the others. I do think fighters are a bit on the powerful side and these ones do cloak. But I think they've dialled down the primary weapon a bit too much and I would also have liked to have seen a rear arc.

I am happy with my Hathaway & Delta Flyer though. Unimatrix Sheilding will be seeing some play I think
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls