Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I really enjoy SDE, but there are a few things that bother me. One is allowing the Consul to spam spawn points to generate bosses, and one is only drawing two or three exploration cards in a game.

The Lootimeter variant suggested by another user seems like a very good way to resolve the first issue, and I want to try it out without making any other changes to the rules. Basically, it would be this:

* Structured loot deck - 16 cards, mini-boss treasure, 16 cards, 1 random boss treasure (the other boss treasures go into the treasure deck).
* Discard one loot for every minion killed or wound taken by a hero.
* When a boss treasure turns up, spawn that boss.
* When the mini boss dies, it drops its unique treasure card (the card that spawned it) and a key.
* If the boss spawns before all spawn points are destroyed, it gets an extra activation until all spawn points are gone
* If an ability such as Tax Collector allows you to draw extra loot, you can choose to take it from the discarded loot

As for the explore cards - I was thinking of drawing one every time a spawn point is destroyed. It seems to make sense that the dungeon reacts every time a spawn point goes down. Destroying the spawn may free a unicorn, reveal a stash of potions, set off a trap, or summon a horde of creeps.

I haven't tried this out yet, and I am not an expert at SDE so I am not sure if it will break the game.

Has anybody else tried this, or something similar? How did it work out?

(I don't normally house rule, but I'm making an exception because I really like SDE but with a few minor caveats.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Buntinx
Belgium
Genk
Limburg
flag msg tools
If my calculations are correct, now would be the perfect time to fling poop.
Microbadge: Kamikaze gamer - if I can't win, I'll take you down with me! BANZAI!!!Microbadge: Middara fanMicrobadge: Critical Role fanMicrobadge: I play with black!Microbadge: English syntax to Jedi not important is!
I was planning on playing a few SDE games with the Loot-i-meter rules this weekend. Your idea for the exploration cards is really interesting, I'm gonna pick that up and let you know the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All that up there...yes.
Gonna try it this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
Oh, I like that. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, please let me know how it goes if you try drawing exploration cards following the destruction of a spawn point. It seems like a really simple change that wouldn't break anything in terms of gameplay, but I'm not deep enough into SDE to know for sure.

A few things to note -

Creeps spawning following the destruction of a spawn point should still appear within two squares of the destroyed spawn point's location.

Exploration events that trigger following the destruction of a spawn point (such as "Armory") trigger immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I had considered trying something similar to that, too, but ultimately decided against it.

I understand what you're going for, but a lot of the effects would be pretty anticlimactic if they occurred AFTER a Spawn Point is destroyed, because the Heroes are going to be moving on to the next tile pretty quickly and any lasting effects are going to be pointless (especially if they're beneficial). It seems to me the intent of the negative Explore cards is to PROTECT the Spawn Point and delay the Heroes from reaching it.

That being said, I'd really like to make better use of the Explore cards as well, but am currently at a loss as to the best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Hmmm...I had considered trying something similar to that, too, but ultimately decided against it.

I understand what you're going for, but a lot of the effects would be pretty anticlimactic if they occurred AFTER a Spawn Point is destroyed, because the Heroes are going to be moving on to the next tile pretty quickly and any lasting effects are going to be pointless (especially if they're beneficial). It seems to me the intent of the negative Explore cards is to PROTECT the Spawn Point and delay the Heroes from reaching it.

That being said, I'd really like to make better use of the Explore cards as well, but am currently at a loss as to the best solution.
Sorry, I may not have been clear on this: You still pull the explore card when you enter the tile as normal, but then you get another when you kill the spawn point. So, it isn't really anticlimactic, because you aren't taking away from the game, you are adding more instances of exploration.

It actually adds some interesting things, like if the Consul has hidden the spawn within a walled area, but when you kill it you get the ability to phase through that wall, or when you kill the spawn a bunch of creeps spring out, bogging you down (which, when used in conjunction with the Lootimeter is quite bothersome).

It's not for everyone, but I am quite enjoying it as it mixes up the dungeon a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls