Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Chartrand
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a destroyed city still provide the fortification ability for the Draconum present?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this wasn't clear in the rules.
EDIT: The ruins of the city provide no fortifications.
However, you can play with a variant rule that says the remaining city walls still do count as fortifications if you find the scenario easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Apologies if this wasn't clear in the rules. The city is still a city - costing 2mp to enter and providing fortifications.

2MP - that's clear, because it's mentioned explicitly in the rulebook.

But hell, "the city is still a city"?
I never thought so. I deduced from the rulebook that it's just another kind of site named "destroyed city". The rulebook says you don't use the city figures - and I reckon that implies you don't use the city cards either.

Without the city card, there're no regular city garrisons, no city specific interacting options, no hand limit bonus, and no fortifications (because
is printed only on the city cards).

With this interpretation (novel to me), I'm afraid we need clarifications on interacting options and hand limit bonus again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll have a think about it and let you know. Sorry for my "city is still a city comment" - that was even more unclear

However... don't go over the top There is no city card. I thought the rulebook specifically said that you don't use the city cards.

So, no shields placed on it, so there is no interaction options, and no hand limit bonus. Not sure how making the ruined city count as fortifications (from the ruined walls etc) leads to a hand limit bonus or interacting options - they both come from an actual city with people in it doing city-type things.

It's just a case of game balance really - Making the Draconum harder to kill because of the fortifications or not. It's been a while since I played it and I can't honestly remember what I had it set to. I've been involved in the development of about 15 other games since then, so I've asked the development team to see if any of them remember from their plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good timing as I literally just came across this exact question when deciding whether to take an AA with siege attack or not for my level up before taking on the first draconum.

The rules do say not to use the card, and the card does specify 'Fortified site' so I'd agree it's not very clear whether it's fortified or not. Even a thematic argument is difficult to make as it would depend how badly destroyed the walls etc are.

Since it's the first time I tried this scenario I have no idea how it will play from a balance perspective.

So I would appreciate further clarification for next time - in the meantime I will assume it's fortified and take Intimidate. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, new official rule. Unfortified. Some people on the development group said that this is how they tested the scenario, and I may have done too, I cant remember.

So - officially UNFORTIFIED.

Variant Rules if you want it harder: FORTIFIED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
ok, new official rule. Unfortified. Some people on the development group said that this is how they tested the scenario, and I may have done too, I cant remember.

So - officially UNFORTIFIED.

Variant Rules if you want it harder: FORTIFIED.

Thanks Paul.

As it turned out, I think sticking with normal attack was the better move for me anyway, and despite treating the draconum as fortified I still just managed to beat the scenario. Looking as a couple of other posts it seems a score of 94 is respectable too.

I really like that this scenario plays in so little time - usually we can't finish a 2 player game of Mage Knight in one evening, but with this scenario it will definitely be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Chartrand
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input and clarification everyone.... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.