Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone played using the Automa rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pretty much be getting this game for solo play, thoughts on how well it solo's?

Jorune
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did one runthrough in Tabletopia with printed out Automa cards. I really enjoyed it. Too soon to say anything about replayability just for solo, though. Some sort of campaign a la Tuscany might be great.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solo around 10 times already.
The first level is pretty simple but helpful to get the feel of the solo flow
The second level provide a challenge for as long as necessary to really make the game your own
And then, comes the third level...and it's brutal

So all in all I would say it will be a great solo mode.

If you played Tuscany automa, you'll get the same feeling and replayability.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Warren
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Play More Games!
badge
Dramati
Avatar
Microbadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of Gods fanMicrobadge: The Expanse fanMicrobadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: SpaceCorp fan
I've played several times now and have enjoyed every game. The Automa feels pretty close to playing against a real human opponent and provides a good challenge. Between the 25 combos of starting faction/player mat, against one of 4 different Automa starting factions, plus the randomness of what order the cards come out for Automa it really makes for a wide variety of ways the game can play out. After playing a few times you have a good idea of how Automa moves and what its general strategy is but the order the Automa cards come out can really have an impact on how Automa advances. So, for me, after about 5 solo games I've found that they've all been different enough to have me wanting to play another to see what different strategy i can come up with.

It's a total blast and I'll be completely happy with my copy of Scythe even if i only play it solo.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Walker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
It really hones your skill in optimising your faction. Games are quick so you can try different strategies in a short time.
If this is of interest , take good notes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bardow wrote:
I've played several times now and have enjoyed every game. The Automa feels pretty close to playing against a real human opponent and provides a good challenge. Between the 25 combos of starting faction/player mat, against one of 4 different Automa starting factions, plus the randomness of what order the cards come out for Automa it really makes for a wide variety of ways the game can play out. After playing a few times you have a good idea of how Automa moves and what its general strategy is but the order the Automa cards come out can really have an impact on how Automa advances. So, for me, after about 5 solo games I've found that they've all been different enough to have me wanting to play another to see what different strategy i can come up with.

It's a total blast and I'll be completely happy with my copy of Scythe even if i only play it solo.
I agree that the Automa is good fun (I have played about 20 games now). The thing that's missing for me is variety because the Factions play in a very similar way and do not use Faction-specific powers. They have different starting positions obviously and there are a few Faction-specific actions on the Automa cards, but in my opinion the experience is always very similar.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the nice comments, everyone.

@Seamo66, if you've played it 20 times in the short amount of time it's been available, then I'm not too concerned about limited replayability .

I agree with you that the Automa plays each faction pretty similarly, with the variability coming from the faction and player mat of the human player and the relative positions of the human and the Automa bases.

I also agree that a larger difference in how the Automa plays the different factions would be nice. We refrained from including that mainly for two reasons:

1) The learning curve is steep enough as is, so we didn't want to add more rules and Automa actions for the player to learn.

2) We wanted to limit the number of variables in the playtesting.

For the expansion we can assume that players are more experienced and we'll have a new round of playtesting and thus we're considering adding more Automa faction variability in the expansion.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
For the expansion we can assume that players are more experienced and we'll have a new round of playtesting and thus we're considering adding more Automa faction variability in the expansion.
And co-op multiple players vs. the great mechanical beast.. right?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aroncraig wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
For the expansion we can assume that players are more experienced and we'll have a new round of playtesting and thus we're considering adding more Automa faction variability in the expansion.
And co-op multiple players vs. the great mechanical beast.. right?
It's also something we've discussed, but I'd call that much less likely. In the end it'd be Jamey's call where to focus our effort.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
I'd pretty much be getting this game for solo play, thoughts on how well it solo's?

Jorune
Jorune,

Greetings! I've seen you before over at the Arkham Horror forum. While I'm still trying to launch Tabletopia and experience the Automa rules, I will say that the number of play-tests that Mort and his team conducted far exceed many games which I've play-tested or developed over the past 6 years. Mort, by what I can determine, reading his posts, is attracted to solo play, so it's in his best interest to "get it right" for all of us. Regarding Scythe, I was attracted by the art; was enticed by the game as Jamey is a well-regarded designer; but Backed the project in large due to Mort's work on solo rules.

Cheers,
Joe
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Jorune wrote:
I'd pretty much be getting this game for solo play, thoughts on how well it solo's?

Jorune
Jorune,

Greetings! I've seen you before over at the Arkham Horror forum. While I'm still trying to launch Tabletopia and experience the Automa rules, I will say that the number of play-tests that Mort and his team conducted far exceed many games which I've play-tested or developed over the past 6 years. Mort, by what I can determine, reading his posts, is attracted to solo play, so it's in his best interest to "get it right" for all of us. Regarding Scythe, I was attracted by the art; was enticed by the game as Jamey is a well-regarded designer; but Backed the project in large due to Mort's work on solo rules.

Cheers,
Joe
Yeah, the majority of my gaming is solo. And thanks .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Seamo66 wrote:
I agree that the Automa is good fun (I have played about 20 games now). The thing that's missing for me is variety because the Factions play in a very similar way and do not use Faction-specific powers. They have different starting positions obviously and there are a few Faction-specific actions on the Automa cards, but in my opinion the experience is always very similar.
Thanks for the honest opinion. I wasn't sure if this was going to be the best solo game since sliced bread, or if maybe folks were being a bit polite on Mort's behalf.

No offense Morten, but these are your stomping grounds afterall.

Definitely intrigued by this game though. I think I'll be getting it after retail release and there are some heavier reviews on the solitaire side of things (it's hard for me to imagine a 4x game of this sort playing as well solitaire as it would multiplayer -- multiplayer seems like a blast though.)

(Am fully prepared to eat these words, by the way, if the game ends up being a true solo play gem.)
No offense taken it's a very valid point you raise. I think that the best measure we have right now is the average rating given by the playtesters (quoted above), but that's also likely to be biased to some extent, since the playtesters got to know me and the team during the playtesting and being part of the process likely made them subconsciously more positive about the game, and the fact that they knew that I'd be seeing the ratings they submitted is also likely to influence the result in a way that increases the ratings.

Thus I find it likely that if someone indepent were to gather data for a solo rating a year after the game has hit the market, then that rating is likely to be lower then the one from the playtests. I'd actually be extremely interested in seeing such a rating.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Dole Melipone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:


For the expansion we can assume that players are more experienced and we'll have a new round of playtesting and thus we're considering adding more Automa faction variability in the expansion.
This is a fantastic idea! Any extra solo stuff in an expansion would make it a must buy for me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls