Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$40 MSRP? It's just new ship tiles and cards isn't it? Why so high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
$25 on the BGG Marketplace just now. So it would probably help if you said where you saw it for $40.

As for the high price it was released in limited quantities at Essen, and I don't think has had it's full release yet, so there is a limited supply, which if there is a high enough demand will drive up prices.

As with Codenames if you wait until it's available more widely it will be cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:
$25 on the BGG Marketplace just now. So it would probably help if you said where you saw it for $40.
I don’t think you understand what MSRP stands for. The OP said

TyDeL wrote:
$40 MSRP? It's just new ship tiles and cards isn't it? Why so high?
MSRP = manufacturer's suggested retail price

MSRP is not store specific. This is the price that CGE (the publisher) recommends. Some stores will discount down from there.

So for example Cardhaus (an OLGS in the USA) lists it as $39.95 marked down to $24.98.

Not all stores can move the volume that the big OLGS can so they have to sell at MSRP instead.

When you say:

JBH1 wrote:
As for the high price it was released in limited quantities at Essen, and I don't think has had it's full release yet, so there is a limited supply, which if there is a high enough demand will drive up prices.

As with Codenames if you wait until it's available more widely it will be cheaper.
You are likely incorrect.

Edit: fixed some mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
False alarm: MSRP is 29.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Runcible. cardhaus.com is indeed where I saw it (still) listed at $39.95 MSRP. $25 after their discounted prices. Miniature Market now has it at $29.95 MSRP and selling for $19.50.

It's definitely worth 20 bucks to me, I'm still grimacing at that MSRP though just because I know that's what it will be in most local game stores. I had thumbed through what was in the box and it's really just about a deck of cards and a handful of tiles.

But again, happy that I can get it for $20. I wish they had also incorporated the Action Point turn-based system available online. Wouldn't be hard at all to simulate, but would have been a nice way to open the game up to those who are scared of realtime racing (not me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Thanks Runcible. cardhaus.com is indeed where I saw it (still) listed at $39.95 MSRP. $25 after their discounted prices. Miniature Market now has it at $29.95 MSRP and selling for $19.50.

It's definitely worth 20 bucks to me, I'm still grimacing at that MSRP though just because I know that's what it will be in most local game stores. I had thumbed through what was in the box and it's really just about a deck of cards and a handful of tiles.

But again, happy that I can get it for $20. I wish they had also incorporated the Action Point turn-based system available online. Wouldn't be hard at all to simulate, but would have been a nice way to open the game up to those who are scared of realtime racing (not me).
MSRP seems fair to me. It adds a decent amount of replayability.

If someone wanted to incorporate the point system, it's totally possible to do with the existing components. Just use battery tokens to track the points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rhodes
United States
California
flag msg tools
GTM 190 has this as 39.95

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

MSRP seems fair to me. It adds a decent amount of replayability.

If someone wanted to incorporate the point system, it's totally possible to do with the existing components. Just use battery tokens to track the points.
Fair based on replayability sure, high based on components. My main post was when I thought it was $40 MSRP though. And I know you can simulate the action point system, I mentioned that it would be easy to proxy, but still seems like a missed opportunity on their part to add a nice action point board and official rules for it. That would have justified the price better and opened up the game to others. Just seems like it would have been a good move on their part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a (self-admitted) completist, I figure I'll probably get this eventually, but, as the OP said, $40 seems a little high. (Yes, I know that's been corrected.)

I mean, I bought the Even Steven cards knowing perfectly well I'll very rarely use them. Then again, it's nice to have options.

$25 seems fair, given that Latest Models was $20.00. I suspect that, long-term, Missions would see more play then Latest Models would, anyway.

I wouldn't quite throw new players into Missions, but, compared to other expansions, it seems like something that would get introduced fairly early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Baker
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the MSRP dropped a bit. According to CSI, the MSRP is now $29.95 and their price is currently $18.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wesbaker wrote:
It looks like the MSRP dropped a bit. According to CSI, the MSRP is now $29.95 and their price is currently $18.99.
The MSRP was never $40. It has always been $30, but was incorrectly listed on a couple sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls