Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter recently mentioned that she really enjoyed reading about war. I'm wondering if there are some gentle introductory war games out there. I'm looking for:
- Thick on history
- Smallish set of intuitive rules
- Shorter playing time
- Ideally still in print

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition or Memoir '44

Of the Commands & Colors games, these have the simplest rules. Both play in about an hour or less, and they have nice plastic figures. You might play the first couple of games with just the section cards (e.g., order 3 units in the center section), and throw the tactics cards (which have a lot more text) in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Memoir '44

It has some historical value, it is very simple and easy to obtain...

You can even try it online, Days of Wonder has a (limited) app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion is often cited as an excellent historical war gamey game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
Microbadge: Walking in a Winter WonderlandMicrobadge: Starships & Spacemen RPG fanMicrobadge: I love SnowMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Winter War fan
Napoleon at Waterloo
Trenches of Valor
Wings of Glory: WW2 Rules and Accessories Pack
Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
+1 Memoir '44
+1 1775: Rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line is a good choice for the American Revolutionary War. More or less in the same ballpark as Memoir '44.

But I don't know if any of the games mentioned are really "thick" with history, but it's hard to get that without adding complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Memoir '44, but in that same system, the thing I like about Commands & Colors: Ancients and Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition is the historical write ups for the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a good light wargame. Maybe 2 hours or so, and pretty basic, once you get it down. Might take 20 minutes or so to explain the rules to her, if you learn them first. GMT has it for P500 order, but they also still have some copies they'll sell you right now if you email them about it. And it's got 6 or 7 pages on the history in the back of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Microbadge: "I'm givin' her all I can, Captain!" - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (Scotty)Microbadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: "I'm a doctor, not a . . ." - Dr. Leonard McCoyMicrobadge: "The name of the game is called, uh... fizzbin." - Captain James T. KirkMicrobadge: "Oh, but they do give us something, Mr. Spock. They give us love." - Lt. Nyota Uhura (in The Trouble with Tribbles)
Hammer of the Scots is frequently recommended as a good asymmetric wargame that's easy to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Another one to consider is Manoeuvre low counter density only eight units per side. All the major participants of the Napoleonic Wars are represented including the Americans.

Each nation has its own deck of cards to play with and the style of play for each is unique. Playing time is about an hour or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What subjects has she enjoyed reading about? I would find an entry level wargame on one of those subjects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She may find it fascinating reading but do you know that she wants to play a war-based game? (Two different things.) What topic about war interests her? And is she learning about a specific era and/or part of the world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1775: Rebellion is often cited as an excellent historical war gamey game.
I agree. 1812 is also excellent and probably a better game to begin with as the frontlines of each force is linear and less complicated as opposed to 1775. I think for an eleven year old it would be easier to a grasp strategy for each side. Then definitely move on to 1775.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
She may find it fascinating reading but do you know that she wants to play a war-based game? (Two different things.) What topic about war interests her? And is she learning about a specific era and/or part of the world?
This!

But aside from that, if she is really into wargames and happens to like World War 2, you should go for Heroes of Normandie, since you can keep it as small and simple or as big and demanding as you want (or as she wants it).
Plus the campaign grows in complexity. (Though you are not required to play the campaign!)

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a solitaire war game: A Spoiled Victory: Dunkirk 1940. If it is OOP, there is still an option to build it yourself (PnP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormybriggs wrote:

- Thick on history
- Smallish set of intuitive rules
- Shorter playing time
- Ideally still in print
Thanks
There are very nice suggestions here but "thick" in my book has probably a "heavier" meaning

Along the general, euro-wargames, you could check Quartermaster General for a global "feeling" of WW2. You play a card each turn, expanding your holdings and trying to cut-off the chain of the other side, both in Europe and Pacific. It's very simple and fun.

My 2 cents for something more "historical":

- W1815 is a very low-complexity treatment of Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo; wooden static pieces, yet there are individual historical positions and attack sequences so you could "re-enact" and explain real history with just a bunch of rules (2 pages IIRC?) and ~15 minutes of playtime;

- 2 de Mayo is another semi-abstract napoleonic wargame about civilian surge against French invaders in Madrid, 1808. Both players move wooden cubes around the city areas trying to accomplish their goals (crush the rebellion, or survive long enough). Historical notes, compact space and again, ~20 minutes of playtime;

- HoldFast Russia is a block wargame about Barbarossa, meaning that the units are wooden blocks, hidden from the opponent (fog of war), and when they take hits you simply record it rotating the block on its side; yet it's a true wargame with moving units, MP terrain costs, resources to manage and the "big enemy" weather; rules are 8 pages long but don't be fooled, there's a lot of strategy packed inside and it won't be over in less than 2 hours (maybe more);

- if you're on WW2 tank battles, don't miss the chance with the fresh reprint of Tank on Tank, East Front and West Front: clear maps, big counters, very simple rules. Kursk? Brody? Goodwood...? In an evening, yes, it's doable, while still being a "true" wargame with LOS and other concepts withouth the classic complications of the armored combat (like armor penetration and so on);

- some of the older Wallace designs, like Bull Run 1816 or Shiloh 1862 are great intro ACW games; you roll dice and spend them to move/fight;

- speaking of ACW, what about some strategic grand-overview of history? A House Divided is easy enough to be played at a very basic level (units have a single big number), yet you can increase the details at will and after 30 years that this game is out you'll find a lot of custom and semi-official tweakings;

- let me introduce you the Victory Point Games publisher; here you'll find many simple, compact, fast-playing yet historically accurate wargames, like the Napoleonic 20 series so-called because it works with no more than ~20 chits in play; for something else, check for example Leuthen, Frederick's the Great victory in 1757, it could be a nice choice because there are rectangular unit counters, other than the classic "square" ones!
Another title worth checking is 6th Panzer Army (WW2, the Bulge) but really, have a look at their catalogue.

Sorry for the textwall but I jumped at the chance to introduce a new grog to the good side of the hobby! Good luck meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
With a little further prodding it seems that a game like Arabian Nights might be more her style, but my 8 year old son thought these games sounded awesome. Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also must say that I was under the impression that war games are generally long and war games in the 30-45 minutes range didn't really exist. This thread has proven me wrong to my great satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stormybriggs wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:
With a little further prodding it seems that a game like Arabian Nights might be more her style, but my 8 year old son thought these games sounded awesome. Thank you all!
If she likes just the storytelling aspect and not the theme, then Above and Below is a storytelling game with more "game" to it. I've been debating picking it up when it releases in a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reading this thread because I have a 10 year old son who is obsessed with military history and I was looking for game ideas for him. However, I do have a couple book recommendations for your daughter if you are interested.

If she can handle the death of a main character, she might love Code Name Verity. She also might like Victory, by Susan Cooper. Both have female main characters and involve active participation in battle rather than just surviving in the homefront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test of Fire: Bull Run 1861 might be exactly what you are looking for...

In print, inexpensive, based on a real battle, dice, cards, leaders, artillery, big name designer, 16 page rulebook (base rules less than that), under an hour playtime, asymmetric victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
123ABC wrote:
I am reading this thread because I have a 10 year old son who is obsessed with military history and I was looking for game ideas for him. However, I do have a couple book recommendations for your daughter if you are interested.

If she can handle the death of a main character, she might love Code Name Verity. She also might like Victory, by Susan Cooper. Both have female main characters and involve active participation in battle rather than just surviving in the homefront.
Thanks. I'll pass those titles along. She reads books faster than I can eat popcorn, so book titles are always appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls