Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Multiplayer variant so no one has to just sit around until the game ends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Koon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a free-for-all game yesterday at lunch and noticed the usual problem with elimination games. Someone has to sit around and wait for the other players to kill each other off once they are eliminated.

So I thought a nice variant might be a vengeful spirit rule. Once a player is eliminated in a multiplayer game, they can no longer play champions, but can continue to draw a single card each turn and can only play events when it would be possible for them to play events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play to first blood, so the game ends when the first player dies?

If you try out the vengeful spirit variant, I'd love to hear your experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Shamelessly looking for a citizenship star!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Vengeful spirit" seems like you might as well sit out. lol

It also allows the player to hammer on whomever he wants thereby giving the game a bigger King factor than already evident in the free-for-all multi-player game.

Personally I don't find multi-player epic any more of a good game than multi-player magic. Everything about Epic suggests "2 player game." The multi-player version seems more of a "it can be done" than a truly viable variation. I think it's typically played that way as well.

Still, keep on coming up with equalizing variations. Ya never know what can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think there are fundamentally three ways to play multiplayer:
- team vs team
- one vs all
- player to your right dies you immediately win and everybody else loses

all these offer two things:
- no kingmaking free for all randomness, it's always clear who to attack
- no elimination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Snyder
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've Been thinking about this and have a few Ideas for game varients for multiplayer that don't have player elimination.

First, in Star Realms I was very fond of a Varient called Jack Pot Gumbo, when the Game ended when one player was defeated and the player with the highest Health wins. I haven't played this with epic yet, as I'm not sure how it will play with the smaller health pools and lack of ramping game play, but it would probably work fine, or require some light house rules.

Second, instead of attacking players, they attack "Celestial Anchors" that are placed between players, so that each player has an Anchor to his left and Right. Each Anchor has 30 health, and when a player loses both Anchors, the game ends with the player across table from the defeated player wins. Loseing a Single Anchor has not effect other then making victory easier to obtain for opposing players. Anchors can be defended by either player it's between. In a Five player game, you need to defeat the three anchors of the two players across the table from you.

Third, as mentioned above, Play Hunter First Blood, althought I believe this works best for 3 and 4 player games.

Forth, you can play Hydra if you have an even number of players, it's quite fun and with two teams, the game is over when one side loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hydra is probably the only good way to play Epic in multiplayer.

Free for all takes too long and can drone on and on.

The "first blood" portion takes long because you have to go through multiple turns. The issue that I've noticed is mainly due to how events are played when declaring blockers, attackers, or "end my turn" with multiple people. Asking four people "do you play an event" gets tiresome.

At least with Hydra, there is only two sides instead of three or four therefore the event portion isn't so painful.

I love Epic, but it handles terribly in multiplayer outside of Hydra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ninjaray wrote:

Second, instead of attacking players, they attack "Celestial Anchors" that are placed between players, so that each player has an Anchor to his left and Right. Each Anchor has 30 health, and when a player loses both Anchors, the game ends with the player across table from the defeated player wins. Loseing a Single Anchor has not effect other then making victory easier to obtain for opposing players. Anchors can be defended by either player it's between. In a Five player game, you need to defeat the three anchors of the two players across the table from you.
I love this idea, and I'm bringing it to the Epic discussion at work tomorrow. It seems great for exactly four players. More than that? *shrug*

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:
ninjaray wrote:

I love this idea, and I'm bringing it to the Epic discussion at work tomorrow. It seems great for exactly four players. More than that? *shrug*

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
Sounds like MTG Pentagram, possibly the best stuff MTG ever offered.
Please gameplay test this mode at WWG with Epic and see if you can recommend it...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls