Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to a very special Monday edition of the TGIF Poll. Hey, it was Halloween weekend and I had costumes to make and parties to throw.

Let's poll the BGGers about Reviews.

Poll
How do you review?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I read reviews.
80.2% 199
I watch reviews.
61.7% 153
I create written reviews.
23.4% 58
I create video reviews.
1.2% 3
I rarely consume nor produce reviews.
10.9% 27
Voters 248
How do reviews influence your buying?
I don't pay attention to reviews.
4.9% 12
Though I look at them, reviews do not influence me.
5.3% 13
Occasionally, reviews influence my purchases.
36.8% 91
Reviews are often a part of my buying routine.
25.5% 63
I almost always check out reviews before buying a game.
27.5% 68
Voters 247
Do you ever look at reviews AFTER buying a game?
Yes
86.2% 213
No
10.1% 25
I don't do reviews.
3.6% 9
Voters 247
What do you prefer?
Written Reviews
54.7% 134
Video Reviews
35.1% 86
Niether
10.2% 25
Voters 245
This poll is now closed.   248 answers
Poll created by Syvanis
Closes: Mon Nov 9, 2015 6:00 am

5 - Who are the best reviewers?

6 - Link us to some of the best reviews you have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mb
I always watch reviews before buying a game. Often I watch and read all of the available reviews for a game before making up my mind whether to buy it or not.

5) My favorite reviewers would have to be Tom Vasel and Joel Eddy. Zee Garcia and Game Boy Geek are honorable mentions!

6) I don't have any reviews I remember better then others. I enjoy watching almost all reviews.
A few months ago I would've linked to the Shut up and sit down videos, but lately I've lost interest in their method of reviewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Syvanis wrote:
Welcome to a very special Monday edition of the TGIF Poll. Hey, it was Halloween weekend and I had costumes to make and parties to throw.
Hate to break it to you buddy, but, today's actually Tuesday, not Monday cool
Must've been a pretty wild Halloween weekend for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
While I enjoy video reviews, I prefer written ones. I like the freedom to be able to "skim," and written reviews are not as much of a time commitment.

This is one of the most memorable reviews I've read:

Review for Dungeon Twister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Hate to break it to you buddy, but, today's actually Tuesday, not Monday cool
Must've been a pretty wild Halloween weekend for you!
WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch/read reviews if I think a game could be interesting for us (and there are reviews available).

Generally I watch Dice Tower (Mostly Tom, sometimes Zee or Sam or Ryan, don't like the others as much) for a quick impression of the game, and Rahdo for more information (I play mostly with hubby, so his views on whether or not a game works with just 2 are valuable to us). I also watch Board Game Brawl, Drive Thru Review, Hunter & Cron, and Würfelbox.

I watch Shut Up and Sit Down for entertainment value (and a bit for the reviews) - I liked their recent ones on Pandemic Legacy and Time Stories for example - and their review of Sherlock Holmes made me buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will always watch a SU&SD review, even if it's a game I already own or have no interest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Don't read too much any more, mostly use well written comments.

As far as favorite? It use to be Tom Vassel, but stopped writing reviews.

The Witcherlorian
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Want something fun to read - Check out My Top 100 the 2019 Edition!
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Herculean game player. At least 20,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: This is Bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.Microbadge: Herculean Reviewer

But, they are a bit too long. I prefer shorter reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
5 - The most entertaining reviewers are SU&SD by a wide margin, but Tom Vasel and his Dice Tower Crew are whose opinion I respect most. Richard Hamm (Rahdo) does a good job providing objective views in his final thoughts, but he only reviews select games (2p that he and Jen can play together).

6 - The review that sticks out in my mind is SU&SD's review of Arctic Scavengers. I think it single-handedly got Rio Grande to do another print run and finally produce the HQ + Recon expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite reviewers are probably Miami Dice (I like the different perspectives) and Game Boy Geek. My personal tastes align the most with Ryan Metzler, but I don't find his personality to be as engaging. However, I will still often watch his reviews to see his opinion since I know his tastes more closely match mine.

I also really enjoy Scott Nicholson and Games with Hayden, although neither of them are producing reviews now. Games with Hayden is one of the things that used to get my daughter excited about games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
What do you prefer? Written Reviews ... Video Reviews ... Neither
I prefer listening to reviews on podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I love TexasMicrobadge: 12th Gamer - Bryan/College Station, Texas
I almost always watch or read reviews of a game before purchasing it.

I'm not sure whether I really prefer written reviews to video reviews although that is how I answered. It's more relaxing to watch reviews, but reading is more flexible for skimming ahead or not disturbing others in the area.

My "go to" reviewers are Tom Vasel and Richard Ham. I like Joel Eddy too. Most of my gaming is two player, so if there's a Rahdo Run Through on it, I know it's at least decent two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
To be honest, I don't find most reviewers very helpful. They are usually too interested in telling you what you should be thinking, and way, way too biased.

I get a lot more mileage out of the average user's Ratings comments. While most of them (both positive and negative) are too hugely biased to be of use when viewed alone, I often find that things that get repeated a lot in the comments tend to be pretty accurate. If it is a criticism that bothers me, that's enough to steer me away. I tend to read the lower scores, already knowing what would be in the higher ones. But I would never, ever take the word of one reviewer.

Now, interestingly enough, I have found occasionally that criticisms have actually swayed me towards a game, while the occasional glowing positive comment is enough to keep me away. If those things are things that do not align with my tastes. (For example, somebody else's "long and boring" might be my "deep and thinky.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Starlit Citadel reviews with Kaja and Johanna. They give a nice concise review of the game. They offer both pros and cons of the game. I think their reviews are fair and balanced whether they liked the game or not.

I answered occasionally to question two. When a review has influenced me it is usually Kaja and Johanna. Their reviews have on occasion changed my mind, both for and against picking up a game.

Check them out....Starlit Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5) Joel Eddy, Tom Vasel, and Zee Garcia are right up there for me. Honorable mentions: I have also started to watch a lot of what Forensic Gameology do (they are a couple who recently started to do reviews), and Nick from Board Game Brawl always has interesting things to say about games.

6) I know I have linked, on my now defunct FB account to some great reviews, but I can't think of any off hand right now. Zee did some great reviews of the different Nightfall games that I thought were fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Baseball Highlights: 2045 fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fan
Dice Tower is a great resource. I also am a big fan of

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
Microbadge: Night OwlMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Marnaudo's Game Reviews fanMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: BBQ lover

Terrific video reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Reviews expose me to new games to consider. I can't consider the suitability of games I don't know about. After seeing a game I might be interested in I start researching it, then consider whether the game works with one of my gaming sub(groups) and will be different enough and good enough to get playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very, very seldom read reviews prior to getting a game. I NEVER watch reviews. I use Geek comments to get my feel for a game.

I can't think of any reviews that I found really good nor do I have any comments on who I think is the best reviewer.

One thing that I dislike regarding any review is when you get the whole detailed instruction on how to play. Nutshell that stuff! I would rather know what you think then how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally read reviews when researching games.

Videos? Kids these days. Get your videos off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5)
6) any of his are legit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-5 and d10-6 Geekbuddy comments via Geekbuddy Analysis. Like lots of mini reviews all at once by people I want to hear from and a ratings snapshot all rolled into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut Shot Games
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
www.gutshotgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like Game Boy Geek's reviews. His video quality is good and he does a good job explaining the pros and cons of each game. His tastes also seem similar to my own. Two exceptions - his intro is way too long and he started this new saxophone thing at the end for games that go into his collection that I'm not a fan of (but it's at the end so I just quit watching).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it surprising that anyone would NOT read or scan reviews before purchasing a game. If a game has 10k votes and is a 5/10 on BGG, I'm going to feel pretty confident that the game is not good.

Personally I would never buy a game without at least reading some sort of reviews... too big of a risk. Then again I am a fairly new gamer so I don't trust my own research on game mechanics and such yet. I heavily rely on other gamers' opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Driving an orange VolkswagenMicrobadge: PretzelMicrobadge: Play a bird from your handMicrobadge: Polar bear blinking in a blizzard
1. I watch more reviews than I read

2. Reviews are often part of my routine

3. Yes

4. video

5. I watch Tom Vasel and Richard Ham more than any others

6. NSFW review of Infamy
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/48908/infamy/infamy-review-i...
skip to the good part at around 5:20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Joel Eddy is probably my favorite for shorter video reviews. Rahdo does a good play-through and then an evaluation in a separate video. The Dice Tower gang does decent reviews too. (I do wish Tom would skip the dumping of the bits though. shake )

In a league of their own is the Shut Up and Sit Down duo.

I used to read Ender's reviews before video became so popular.

6 - Link us to some of the best reviews you have seen.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

I figure if a review has been done by one or more (especially more) of these good folks, it's probably a decent game. Exceptions? Sure. But they're rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |