8 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Geekbay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Im curious on how people approach Geekbay auctions. Many times Ive looked at items I'd like to buy but the asking starting bid+shipping is more than the cost to purchase new! Of course a lot of times these items dont sell and the auctioner has to repost with lower prices etc to stimulate bidding.

My question is do you approach Geekbay to find deals, or think of it more like a charity where you will pay a new price for a used game to help out a fellow geek? Me personally, Im looking for deals. If I wanted to pay a new price, I'd buy it from a retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prices are often unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a bunch of deals in the past few weeks. It is just like any other auction.. Decide on how much you will pay for something that is used. Some auctioneers are better than others. Some will state that "I start the reserve at 25% of the retail price", but it also depends on what other people are willing to go up to.

Also, I think it is a good community type of thing. If you are planning on getting a game and a fellow gamer who is having a baby or needs a new car is selling the same game, why not buy it from them and help them out. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burk
United States
flag msg tools
Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut.
badge
Eagle powers, come to me! Please!
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing I check is where the seller is located. If the seller is local, I'm likely to be a bidder, especially if the price is right. Zero shipping is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
The prices are sometimes reasonable.

With the aid of the auction tool that looks up my wants, I'm able to focus on finding titles that I want without much effort. Shipping costs are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
RIVERSIDE
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the prices I see would be no savings when you factor in shipping vs. buying brand new and getting free shipping. So, I don't buy a lot at auctions unless I find one that has at least quasi-realistic pricing and multiple items I want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah its all over the board. I think mostly its due to the fact that this place mixes many different types of people who value things differently.
Usually when I see someone who priced near retail prices its less about them selling and more about asking "would I rather have this game or this amount of money". I'm struggling with this now, I got Nile the same weekend my brother-in-law got Nile DeLuxor. So for the past few months I've been trying to trade it with no luck and I'm gonna try doing an auction soon. Its value is next to nothing now that theres a newer version out but I still rather have the game then sell it for a dollar. So I'm gonna price it at the point I'm happy with and maybe theres a buyer who would want it along with another item so they don't have to worry about shipping on it.

I think everyone is looking for a deal. But what qualifies as a deal is different to everyone and their situation. Local deals are done often.

I think our society is still messed up from all the tv shows and news articles saying how valuable some things from the past are...and those damn bennie baby value books

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
Yeah, I no longer spend $100 or $150 to receive free shipping, when all I want is one game. It was different when I had fewer games, but now, one at a time is enough.

Also, if I'm selling, I won't give the item away, because I don't really need the $ and it takes time to package, ship, etc... so the transaction has to be worth the while. Usually, I just wind up donating things I want to get rid of, because the return is better with the write-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls