Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
First of all I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I did a brief skim of the General Forum and didn't see it explicitly asked.

I'm going to a Thanksgiving dinner where we usually play games after wards. The Crowd of people are very casual and range in ages from grandparents to young kids.

I'm considering buying this to bring and play but I don't know which version of the game would be most appropriate. I've only played the original with the gambling mat which I've read is no longer present in the later ones. Any more insight into the differences between versions would be appreciated plus general suggestions.

From the sounds of it the party or the family sound more appropriate but I don't really see much difference between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the original and Family versions and while I store them both in the same box, Family gets played much more often - even with parties of only adults.

* Questions seem to trend a little more fun and accessible to most ages. Though there are questions that lean younger or older, almost all the questions anyone should be able to make some sort of educated guess at. (Besides, one of the great things of W&W is that it's "trivia no one is expected to know", as I tell new players.)

* Scoring - much more streamlined and balanced than in the original. The first time I played the original, I had an insurmountable lead in the third round due to a lucky bet. I then played nothing but conservatively the rest of the game and had a solid victory. In Family, the most one player can score is 4 points in a round, so while a solid lead can occur if the players do it just right (or wrong), it's much more uncommon in my experience.
It's also faster since you don't have to deal with the odds and the chips and the math.

Sometimes I play with the original game's questions, other times Family's, but I always use Family's scoring.

I'm not sure which play more people, but you can play in teams or partners.

I've never played Party. I saw it at a thrift store and should have gotten it, if just for more questions, but I didn't.

Given the tone (casual) and age ranges (all ages) of your event, I would go with Family (or maybe Party, but again, I have no first hand experience with it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
I'm going to a Thanksgiving dinner where we usually play games after wards. The Crowd of people are very casual and range in ages from grandparents to young kids.
Wits & Wagers Party was designed for inter-generational parties exactly like this one. The questions are lighter and more fun than the original W&W questions. The Family questions are also good, but skew a little more towards kids.

Wits & Wagers Party has poker chips, but players cannot bet their winnings (except on the final question) and the guesses do not have odds. This keeps the game moving along faster and keeps run-away leaders from happening.

allstar64 wrote:
I've only played the original with the gambling mat which I've read is no longer present in the later ones.
The gambling mat is still available in the Wits & Wagers Deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Oh hey I never followed up on this. I ended up getting the original version (with gambling/betting) and it actually went over very very well. The only problem? They were moving through the questions so fast that they are in danger of running out. I wanted to get them some more as I thought they would have "additional question packs" for sale but I haven't been able to find any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Oh hey I never followed up on this. I ended up getting the original version (with gambling/betting) and it actually went over very very well. The only problem? They were moving through the questions so fast that they are in danger of running out. I wanted to get them some more as I thought they would have "additional question packs" for sale but I haven't been able to find any.
Family Questions:
http://www.northstargames.com/collections/family-kids-games/...

Party Questions
http://www.northstargames.com/collections/party-games/produc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
domcrap wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
Family Questions:
http://www.northstargames.com/collections/family-kids-games/...

Party Questions
http://www.northstargames.com/collections/party-games/produc...
Tank Q

Do they also sell replacement pens? Some of those weren't working 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! You can get them for $0 + $0 shipping and handling if you sign up for our mailing list. All of our fans get free replacement pens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
domcrap wrote:
Yes! You can get them for $0 + $0 shipping and handling if you sign up for our mailing list. All of our fans get free replacement pens.
So I was wondering If you could help me out. I signed up for your mailing list and ordered Some Questions and sent a message through your customer service that I would need some new replacement pens and that if it would be convenient for them they could group the pens with the question order... then nothing. Well I did receive conformation that the questions were sent but I don't know what happened to the request for the pens. Ideally I wanted them for thanks giving but I don't know if that went through or not.

Was that the proper way to ask for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email Apinya and Jonathan and copy me into the email. Our emails begin with our first names, an at symbol, the company name, a dot and then C O M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls