Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Between my submission of this game design in January 2014 and its publication in November 2015, Decision Games made a number of major changes of which I was not aware until I actually received my subscriber copy.

Per the publishing agreement with the designer, once a game is submitted Decision Games is free to edit, develop and make other changes it deems necessary for publication of a game.
They do agree to credit the designer in the published game rules.
This they have done.
I do not agree with the changes; there are at least 35 I noted, many of them quite strong and which, in my view, make an unsatisfactory game.

I am making the original rules, charts and counter sheet available at the URL below for players to download, so they can play the game as I originally intended.
The map can still be used, with some changes.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/st-296-korean-war-b...

Thank you,

Brian Train
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, a Japanese translation of the designer's original rules is available both at the URL above, and in the "Files" section of this area.

Many thanks to Ken, the translator, who did this off his own bat.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really appreciate your consistent level of support for players of your designs, Brian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Michael, I appreciate your appreciating it.
Few enough people will see this notice on BGG.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

While I appreciate you coming up with the Inchon and Chosin scenarios at my request, there were some serious historical flaws at first blush. Chosin, in particular, grossly overrated Chinese combat power and likewise grossly underrated the Marines in terms of their survivability (two Ex results and they were dead). This is just one example. You may not "agree" with the changes, but the design as submitted has some inherent histotical issues, to say the least. For instance, to allow the Chinese to attack as full divisions is not only an excess of their capabilities (at most they only ever attacked with a coordinated regiment at any one time), but it never happened.

I could go on and on about the other scenarios, but it is important to note that there is a huge difference between game design philosophy and historical accuracy. Designers can disagree on design theory, but it should be validated by a historically accurate model to carry any real weight. Otherwise it's just a philosophy without any verisimilitude.

The published game works fine, is historically accurate, and simulates the real events appropriately for the scope portrayed and rules length allotted. So therefore, disagreements about "changes" are merely a dislike of changes because they are changes, not because the original design was inherently more accurate or true to reality (which it certainly was not in certain key respects).

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Harvey wrote:
Brian,

While I appreciate you coming up with the Inchon and Chosin scenarios at my request, there were some serious historical flaws at first blush. Chosin, in particular, grossly overrated Chinese combat power and likewise grossly underrated the Marines in terms of their survivability (two Ex results and they were dead). This is just one example. You may not "agree" with the changes, but the design as submitted has some inherent histotical issues, to say the least. For instance, to allow the Chinese to attack as full divisions is not only an excess of their capabilities (at most they only ever attacked with a coordinated regiment at any one time), but it never happened.

I could go on and on about the other scenarios, but it is important to note that there is a huge difference between game design philosophy and historical accuracy. Designers can disagree on design theory, but it should be validated by a historically accurate model to carry any real weight. Otherwise it's just a philosophy without any verisimilitude.

The published game works fine, is historically accurate, and simulates the real events appropriately for the scope portrayed and rules length allotted. So therefore, disagreements about "changes" are merely a dislike of changes because they are changes, not because the original design was inherently more accurate or true to reality (which it certainly was not in certain key respects).

Eric :what:

As tempted as I am to respond in kind to the arrogant, dismissive, and wilfully ignorant way you have treated, and later commented on, this and other designs of mine, I won't.

We'll just have to "agree" to "disagree" about the "changes", and others can make up their own minds.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc was the final developer of this game, so I would register your complaints with him.

But your last response would have been the perfect rejoinder to your original post on this thread. Wish I could have been so facile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anthony
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
# of Plays is totally out-of-date. Does anyone actually keep it up-to-date?
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I am making the original rules, charts and counter sheet available at the URL below for players to download, so they can play the game as I originally intended.
The map can still be used, with some changes.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/st-296-korean-war-b...
Thank you for making these available. Your blog entry makes for fascinating reading as you detail your various design decisions, and explain how the publisher's changes to the map, mechanics and unit mix impacted the game on the micro and macro level.

Thanks,
~ Mike ~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike.
I hope you'll visit my blog often!
(I haven't been posting much lately as I have been trying to get new stuff ready for CSWexpo)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls