4 Posts

Formula Dé» Forums » General

Subject: This might be a silly question (but I'm gonna ask anyway) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted to learn a programming language specifically for the purpose of making a PC version of this game, what would be the best programming language to use?

I've been playing around with a couple old adaptations, and they're adequate, but far from perfect. So I'd like to make one of my own, and that would give me an excuse to learn some basic programming (which is an idea I've been toying with anyway, but I need more direct motivations to get myself going for that kind of thing). If I want to make it so you can use image files of the actual circuit maps, instead of just a dull "wireframe" race track, and probably customizable car images as well, what would be the best programming language to learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very little programming experience but, I'm going out on a limb to say Java.

From the little bit I know and have used, it's fexiable and widely accepted by many platforms.

Hopefully someone else can elaborate more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What programming language you use depends mostly on which platform you want the application to run on and on personal preferences

If you want to make a cross-platform application you better go with java, as the application will be able to run on most platforms with almost no changes to the code. I believe it's the best choice in your case due to this flexibility.

If you are interested in windows only, I would go with Visual C# , which is similar to java in syntax, but has more specifically defined libraries IMHO. Also there is a a variety of game engines available online like Unity, XNA (although not officially updated anymore for a couple of years, XNA still is a good game engine) and a multitude of other resources that will help significantly.

Or if you feel more adventurous you could tackle with C++ . It has a steeper learning curve than the other two though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my own usage, I only need it to work on Windows, but if I finished it, I'm sure I could get a fair amount of GeekGold by sharing it with other people, so I wouldn't mind if it had cross-compatibility. Which one do you think would be easier to learn?

Can you give me a little ELI5 of what role a game engine would take in something like this, and how their functionality is implemented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls