Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backer from the USA here.

I went all-in with this Kickstarter and I'm starting to get pretty bummed out from all the errors, mistakes, proofing errors, etc. And this isn't my first KS, just the first where I've seen real problems... It just seems like there are loads of shipping/picking errors, all the proofing issues and people missing key products to even play the game. And if that stuff is missing, having to wait till Dec 7th before Mantic is really going to address the problem.

So, with all that, is there anything to be excited about with this game? Is the co-op version playable currently, or will I have to wait months before the AC is properly edited?

EDIT* I did get the tile/furniture packs and dice sets I ordered and they look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the base game appears to be well done. I do not think any of the components individually are the best you find in the genre but the package together is solid.

I do not think the AI will be anywhere near as good as a real live necromancer but hopefully it will not be so bad that playing against it actually makes you worse at the game.

Overall I think there is a lot to be excited about just some issues that in the world of kickstarters are not that bad. We getting the components pretty much in one go and not requiring the creator to make secondary sales to fund what is already promised, they are not so ugly that the creator replaces them for retail, and the community can probably whip up a FAQ for the adventurers companion that makes it pretty good until mantic figures out what to do.

I just personally hold Mantic up to high standards in terms of kickstarters since they have done 10 and had 3 others funded while working on ours. If they ran out of time on ours maybe they should have concentrated on it more instead of funding 3 more during that period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time I backed a Mantic product, so all the errors and what-not have really been killing my hype.

I just received Blood Rage last week and that turned out amazing. However, CMON has done way more of these and really has the KS process down.

Hopefully, the bugs get ironed out soon. And thankfully, the community is pretty active so if there is a temporary fan-fix, that'll at least mitigate some of the worst problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill corlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I think it was worth it, well yes.

You have got a solid dungeon crawling game here with miniatures which good (to overy good for one or tow sculpts) quality for what is being sold as a boadgame. Not so good if you wanted high detail tabletop miniatures.

The AC typos are a pain, but I did not go for the hardback so effectively it was an extra and it was gthe additional rules that interest me anyway. The page refs are the same as in the rulebook so I would not be probably not be usingthe AC for look up and I can live with missing a description and the added paparagraph to the wizard.

Played a few games already with the kids and everyone is enjoying it. The mechanics are stripped down and easy to pick up , so you do not have much down time explaining it. It lets players concentrate on playing the game and not the rules

Only slight critisism , the time limits for some scenarios is extremely tight, even adventure one has come down to the last move in the three plays we have had. Suggestion, for beginners and younger players add a few cards to the Overlord deck to give just a little breathing space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
tthorn23 wrote:
This is the first time I backed a Mantic product, so all the errors and what-not have really been killing my hype.

I just received Blood Rage last week and that turned out amazing. However, CMON has done way more of these and really has the KS process down.

Hopefully, the bugs get ironed out soon. And thankfully, the community is pretty active so if there is a temporary fan-fix, that'll at least mitigate some of the worst problems.

I guess 20 kickstarters is the magic number so we just have to got through 10 more ones with issues from mantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Blood Rage last night - a friend got virtually everything I think. The quality of the figures and packaging for the expansions way out did DS.

I would have preferred to have got the Main Game then wait for the hard back book and the expansions to be proof read, published and properly packaged. To have a typo and worse littered paperback only rule book with the expansions just rammed into boxes and bags to be bent and damaged really let me down.

Just because it's on KS doesn't mean you bugger about. KS for me is "I can do this, this is my product, believe in me" - so far it's not 100% hit the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read on Dakka before DS about various QA issues on their KS products, but Jake Thorton has a very good history as a game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah a bit too much drama here,there are cool stuffs in the AC : creation of hero,leveling,the locations cards,the spells...
it's really good.
the IA rule has some potential,but need a few examples.
I think uncharted dungeon is important,because there is a lot of cards to create your dungeon,in the AC and in each expansion.Doesn't sound like something rushed.

And Mantic just release an updated pdf of the AC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to (mostly) be a very boring, steady, easy going person (father of two and a special ed teacher), so take this with that knowledge in mind.

I get the feeling that, given time, everything will be squared away. Mantic cares A LOT about this product. They will fix up any problems with it. It seems the base game (hero player vs. necromancer player) is extremely polished and I am confident that the Adventurer's Companion will receive similar treatment in the long haul. I trust the initial reports that express a lackluster start for much of the added content, but I think you'd be safe in resting confidence in long-haul support.

My two cents.

edit - Added the word "mostly" because... honesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not worried about it
Mantic will follow through with the missing bits
annoying, yes, but look at how much you got!!
Is it a good game?
yes!
a few errors doesn't change it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not as positive as others here.

It depends "what" is missing / wrong with your KS. I have miniatures that just miss the base - can't use them unless I find a way to get my own bases.

Others reported missing / wrong cards. If you don't have set 1 - 5 but 2 x 2, 2 x 4 and 5 ... well, you have to wait.

And I wonder how they will fix all of this:

Sure, you can register on their webside for downloading all the new scenarios / living rules at all. But this is not a prefered solution but a form of helplessness. It fixes the problems but gets the customer a not fully usable booklet and a bunch of printouts ("oh, you have vesion 1.4 - but there was a version 1.5 that replaces this and that...").

And you have to hope that their stock of products is high enough to fulfill all of the "I am missing the following stuff / this was damaged and I need a replacement...".

The Hardback: Well, if you don't want to loose your reputation you do a full reprint.

And I really wonder that - when you put extra stuff in a small box that should contain 5 different pieces - how in the world you can mark "5" when the damn thing contains 2. Were these people able to read basic English and know what they did or was it just plain: You do the marking, I do the packing...

I am not "angry" about this (have plenty of other games to play so this one will be on the shelf for 6+ more month) - it is something different:

First it is the level of frustration that grows the more I dig into the box and try to find out which bag is which part of the KS-promise.

Second it was that it was a big box that contained:
the base game (below), some KS extras and the second bookcase (middle), then a bunch of minis in plasic bags (so far so good) and then a box on top of them (press it down a bit more so the outer box is able to be closed) which damaged the minis while the box contained 2 pieces and a lot of plastic chips. What a sloppy handling!

And third: Yeah, I'm old(-school). When you take money in advance you should be more than focused to fulfill your promises. This looks - I'm not saying IT IS - like getting sloppy, leaning back, feet on the desk and saying: Hey, we have our money, any sale above this is just extra...

I'm sure they will be surprised by the number of "replacement - demands" they get. And everyone who has sent in a request should be aware that it takes some time to work thru these lists - given that there is enough product left and that it doesn't has to be "reproduced".
I would suggest - given the date is "7th of December" that we are talking a whooping 3 - 5 month until they worked thru this list.

We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP - Here is a thread where I posted everything I got to see if this whets your appetite -

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1464296/what-i-got-my-c...

This is everything bar the Dragon (which didn't do it for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankBradshaw wrote:
OP - Here is a thread where I posted everything I got to see if this whets your appetite -

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1464296/what-i-got-my-c...

This is everything bar the Dragon (which didn't do it for me).

Thanks Frank, reading your post helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
tthorn23 wrote:

First and last for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still excited. We are getting a hell of a deal!
It may be not everything that was advertised in the KS. But aside from the mistakes in the AC I still think everything is quite reasonable.
In the forums and KS.Comments is now a anti-hype going on that is notrectified by whats going on. The shipping could have been handled better (perhaps - I myself have never had to handle something this big) but I'm sure that mantic is going to deliver everything that's missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hopeful that a Adventurer's Companion 2.0 will be printed and mailed to backers - I don't care if it's hardcover or not.

The massive errors on that are kinda what's been killing my hype the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable but I don't think it's gonna happen.
If you don't care about the Hardcover then I don't really see where the big gain would be from another print edition.
I don't see anything that makes the game unplayable so everything can be done with an Errata (That's the thing with first editions).
The AC as a hardcover was supposed to be a collectible thing thats a very nice to have. Sad that it's got these ugly mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Understandable but I don't think it's gonna happen.
If you don't care about the Hardcover then I don't really see where the big gain would be from another print edition.
I don't see anything that makes the game unplayable so everything can be done with an Errata (That's the thing with first editions).
The AC as a hardcover was supposed to be a collectible thing thats a very nice to have. Sad that it's got these ugly mistakes.

I also agree that the chances of a physical reprint are so low as to be immeasurable. The best case is really a fixed and improved digital version which could be done for probably a tenth the cost of a reprint and improve the game going forward.

After fixing the errors, they need to add the missing fluff section about the history and geography of mantica and rewrite/organize/example the Random Dungeon/AI/Designing Dungeon Sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.