Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm just checking we did this right. It felt a little exploitative...

On our first hunt, we got ambushed by a level 1 White Lion and were getting pretty beat up with he decided to go to Ground Fighting. By this point, he had taken a critical hit which caused the lion to roll each round and take a wound on a '1'.

So, we all ran away, spent some time searching the terrain and then lined up in the grass just beyond one full move away from the lion and waited for the wound to eventually get him up.

The question: did we handle Ground Fighting correctly? He just sits there inert until a wound happens or somebody does an activation (not movement) next to him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly how ground fighting is handled. This is why you need to have folks with ranged weapons.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
So, I'm just checking we did this right. It felt a little exploitative...

On our first hunt, we got ambushed by a level 1 White Lion and were getting pretty beat up with he decided to go to Ground Fighting. By this point, he had taken a critical hit which caused the lion to roll each round and take a wound on a '1'.

So, we all ran away, spent some time searching the terrain and then lined up in the grass just beyond one full move away from the lion and waited for the wound to eventually get him up.

The question: did we handle Ground Fighting correctly? He just sits there inert until a wound happens or somebody does an activation (not movement) next to him?

When Ground Fighting starts the game in play and you have resource-/benefit-giving terrain this leads to a great start for the survivors.

I don't remember which card rolls each round or if it triggers on an AI draw vs a round though. If the former, then you're not drawing AI so it wouldn't matter. For the latter, you could sit there and let the lion die on his own (eventually you'll roll enough 1's).

Last night we started a new game again and we had a Ground Fighting scenario come up. You basically can take as many turns as you want to setup as long as you don't use Activations in the specified zone. After that, you can hit with a ranged (or chuck a founding stone if absolutely required). In fact, you can also sit around and manipulate the Monster Controller to be sure that it ends up on your "tank" (make sure that the Controller is on the person counter-clockwise BEFORE your tank when you try to hit with ranged so that it passes on to the tank for the monster's turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo, I triggered the Hunt event where the Lion enters play with Ground Fighting in action…

So, I took the time to salvage the terrain cards, and position perfectly, while one survivor (with darts) took her time to get her aim, just right… So, if she missed, everyone else skipped their turns, waiting in the blindspot… laugh

Then, after like 7 turns of fast forwarding, she finally hits him, and then the rest of the crew just proceeded to beat the mean outta him. We went from 10 AI (+ GF) to 3 AI in no time… his final few turns were drawing Alert, or Enraged, or Ground Fighting, while we just wailed on him. It was one of the first times I felt like I had gamed the system, and that my survivors were "powerful" with the knowledge that their fallen comrades had sacrificed themselves for…

After the few crits, plus the Victory resources, we finally had the right stuff to make a King Spear, Cat Gut Bow & Lion Claw Arrow, and we proceeded to obliterate our first Antelope.

Moral of the story: Ground fighting is awesome.
Make sure to build Bone Darts after the First Story / Lion Kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueskew wrote:

I don't remember which card rolls each round or if it triggers on an AI draw vs a round though. If the former, then you're not drawing AI so it wouldn't matter. For the latter, you could sit there and let the lion die on his own (eventually you'll roll enough 1's).

Ground Fighting is discarded once he is wounded. You can't just sit around and wait for him to bleed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
Blueskew wrote:

Ground Fighting is discarded once he is wounded. You can't just sit around and wait for him to bleed out.

Ah yes, any wound would do it in that case, not just a survivor wound. I still don't remember whether or not that card wounds every monster turn or only upon draw though. But that isn't terribly important either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain you roll a d10 at the start of the monster turn. On a 1 it gets wounded.

There are others that trigger when he draws an AI card and when he moves. The wound one is definitely start of turn, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
I'm pretty certain you roll a d10 at the start of the monster turn. On a 1 it gets wounded.

There are others that trigger when he draws an AI card and when he moves. The wound one is definitely start of turn, though.

Correct.

As it turned out in our case, it took something like 11 turns before he got up again. Plenty of time to do everything.

It does feel pretty gamey though. Of course, if he isn't bleeding and you don't have any ranged attacks, somebody is going to get walloped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting house rule that could remove the gamey feel would be to limit the amount of time the lion spends in ground fighting. Something like three rounds sounds about right to me. I know my cats won't sit still if they are tussling and one of them just walks away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ng
Australia
Camberwell
Victoria
flag msg tools
I think as you play you realise part of it is the nature of the game... particularly as monsters ai decks become very low... They are very predictable and easily exploited. Ground fighting is really harsh if you just have melee weapons though... Seems to be a huge gamble by the lion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.