Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
Microbadge: Spirit Island: Branch & Claw fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 8-ball fanMicrobadge: Shadowrift: Seal the rift!
I will likely be returning a game that we just bought, because of getting the same game in a Math Trade on the same day (tried my best not to make that happen). I do not want to just return the game, even though it is still in shrink, as I really like the FLGS and want to make sure they get some business from me on this transaction.

Over U.S. Thanksgiving weekend, we will be getting together with our best friends and their daughter. We often game together, and love to play Sentinels of the Multiverse. Likely that will be the centerpiece of the gaming weekend, but we already have it (and all expansions). I am looking for a game that I could order through this FLGS that works very well for 4 or 5 players and is a co-op game. We already have a lot of co-op games that work for 2 and/or 4, but expanding to 5 is sometimes tough. We already have (games that work well with the group already are in GREEN, and games that just did not work for us are in RED):

Agents of SMERSH (works well for 4, but may be too much downtime at 5)
Albion's Legacy (never tried it with 5, could work)
Castle Panic w/Wizard's Tower (works, but is VERY light)
Concept (works, but is more of an activity than a game)
Dead Men Tell No Tales (LOTS of downtime at higher player counts, in our experience)
Defenders of the Realm (has an official 5-player variant)
Dungeon Fighter (Have played sporadically with this group - could work)
Legend of Drizzt (Does work for 5, but probably not with this group)
Galaxy Defenders (WAY too much downtime for 5, with this group)
Hanabi (Would not work with the 5 of us - see below)
Hooyah: The Navy Seals game (not the right theme for this group)
Legendary: Alien Encounters (artwork is a turnoff for one of our friends)
Lord of the Rings (not the right theme for this group)
Pandemic: The Cure (works well for this group - we have played it a lot)
Mysterium (worked okay, and we may bring it)
Red November (does not work well for us)
Samurai Spirit (a good game, but did not catch on at higher player counts with our group)
Shadows of Malice (MIGHT work - never tried with more than 2 players)
Shadows over Camelot w/Merlin's Company (works very well with our group - we have several plays of it)

A lot of the restrictions come about because of their daughter, who is a teenager but has a bit of a learning issue. She is very weak in Math, and is not really into heavier strategy. Usually, she is looking for advice from us on what to play, and has trouble making decisions on her own that will be best for the group. But, we love her and like to game with her, so we try to stick to games where we can advise her (Sentinels) or where her decisions can work out anyway (Shadows over Camelot, where we play without a traitor so sometimes her play gives us more of a challenge). Sometimes she will team up with her dad to play a character, but for a lot of games that would bore them both a bit.

So...I have been considering The King's Armory, but I am not sure if it is available for the FLGS to order. Does anyone have any recommendation (including supporting the choice of King's Armory) for a game that will work at both 4 and 5 player counts, so we can enjoy it whether or not the daughter wants to play? She is a teenager, after all, and sometimes she just wants to sit out a game, but I do not want to bring a game that MAKES her do that.

We have a Geeklist that shows co-op games that my wife and I have tried at lower player counts (2-4), if anyone is interested: He Said, She Said, We Said: What 2-player co-ops we play, and why

EDIT: Added Hanabi and Mysterium to list of games that we have. Then edited again to add Dead Men Tell No Tales to the list. Then edited AGAIN to add Dungeon Fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2017 Christmas Card Exchange participantMicrobadge: I wait to open Secret Santa gifts!Microbadge: Rat ownerMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Mysterium is my most recent acquisition. It's a lot of fun (though I ditch the clairvoyance rules). It plays 2-7, though I think 4-5 would be a sweet point.

Flash Point is a game I love! There are lots of expansion maps if you decide you love the game and it plays 2-6, 4-5 being quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Euroninja - Stealth to victoryMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: Portal fan - Aperture Science: we do what we must, because we canMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - has a betrayal element, but you said Shadows Over Camelot worked well, so that shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Spirit Island: Branch & Claw fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 8-ball fanMicrobadge: Shadowrift: Seal the rift!
marcied wrote:
Mysterium is my most recent acquisition. It's a lot of fun (though I ditch the clairvoyance rules). It plays 2-7, though I think 4-5 would be a sweet point.

Flash Point is a game I love! There are lots of expansion maps if you decide you love the game and it plays 2-6, 4-5 being quite good.
Forgot to add that we have Mysterium - you're right, that works for us too. Flash Point would be great, but we got rid of it a while back because of the theme (we volunteer with the Red Cross and often have to work with people who have lost their homes due to fire, so a game based on that was not something that we would want to play). Thank you for the suggestions, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
IdleHacker wrote:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - has a betrayal element, but you said Shadows Over Camelot worked well, so that shouldn't be a problem.
We play Shadows as a full co-op, though. I have heard that DoW does not work as well in that mode. Can you comment on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I Covet More Dark Stone!Microbadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - MageMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fan
marcied wrote:

+1 for both of these. My personal preference for Mysterium is the orignal Ukranian rules. Simple, engaging and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Peanuts fanMicrobadge: University of Alabama
Mizerak wrote:
We play Shadows as a full co-op, though. I have heard that DoW does not work as well in that mode. Can you comment on that?
While I haven't played it that way, I've heard several folks say it's fun as a full co-op if you flip the scenario card to the "hard" side (each scenario card has 2 sides) and still keep the individual goals...

You might also take a look at Elder Sign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
otha62 wrote:
Mizerak wrote:
While I haven't played it that way, I've heard several folks say it's fun as a full co-op if you flip the scenario card to the "hard" side (each scenario card has 2 sides) and still keep the individual goals...
Interesting...I had not heard that. Not sure the theme would work, but it might. I appreciate the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Euroninja - Stealth to victoryMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: Portal fan - Aperture Science: we do what we must, because we canMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan
Mizerak wrote:
IdleHacker wrote:
I haven't played it full co-op but I've played when no one ended up being the betrayer (and we were fairly certain of this towards the beginning) and it was still fun/challenging, so I think I would still enjoy it full co-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damion Pisacane
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Really, I do!
badge
Ready Player Two?
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Haruki Murakami fanMicrobadge: World TravellerMicrobadge: "Think lightly of yourself and think deeply of the world." - Miyamoto MusashiMicrobadge: Studio Ghibli fan
The two games that really come to mind for me in this situation are:

Flash Point: Fire Rescue

and

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Given the type of get-together that you are describing, I think these could both be really good choices. Flash Point really shines because of how well it scales its difficulty. The base game is a fun introduction to the mechanics, and then you can increase the difficulty and complexity considerably with additional rules and a myriad of very reasonably priced expansions. I have played this with many different sized groups and it always seems to be a hit.

Escape, on the other hand, is a really different beast. Yet, imagining you playing with family friends including a teenage daughter, I think this could be a lot of fun. If you don't know anything about it, the game is played along with a recording which determines how much time you have to escape the temple with treasure as well as when certain events occur. It is tense and fun, plus the best part is that everyone takes their turns simultaneously, so there is no down time at all. This game also scales well, and it also has some great expansions to add some serious variety and challenge. This is the kind of game that you will play three or four times in a row, rather than playing it once for 90 minutes. The one thing about this game is that each player is VERY independent. Given what you are saying about the daughter, you could have a house rule that gets her out of trouble if she finds that she is having trouble keeping up or making decisions. I have always found that playing this with kids is pretty much always fun because of the excitement and all of the rolling of dice. Take from that what you will.

If you feel like Escape is a little too light, you could also look into Space Alert. That kind of skews a little too far in the other direction, but once you have the rules down it is a fun and tense experience as well. I think this one would have to be a game where the father and daughter team up on a station, though.

There are a ton of great co-ops out there, just keep asking on these forums and you will find what you're looking for.

Also, I apologize in advance if these suggestions were a little obvious, but I have spent years playing games with either groups of kids or groups of adults, and I feel like these are great games that are a hit regardless of age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2017 Christmas Card Exchange participantMicrobadge: I wait to open Secret Santa gifts!Microbadge: Rat ownerMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Mizerak wrote:
marcied wrote:

Forgot to add that we have Mysterium - you're right, that works for us too. Flash Point would be great, but we got rid of it a while back because of the theme (we volunteer with the Red Cross and often have to work with people who have lost their homes due to fire, so a game based on that was not something that we would want to play). Thank you for the suggestions, though!
Fair enough. Let me try again then, I do so love co-ops!

Dead Men Tell No Tales is very similar to Flash Point, but is a pirate theme instead.

Agents of SMERSH is a secret agent co-op game that is a blast to play.

Fortune And Glory is an Indiana Jones like adventure game. Can be played pure co-op and I find wonderfully entertaining.

I assume horror/Cthulhu themes are out? If not:
Arkham Horror(or Eldtrich Horror) - 4-5 is a good number. I prefer Arkham but there are a lot of people who prefer Eldritch.
Elder Sign - much faster than either Arkham or Eldritch horrors.
Betrayal at House on the Hill - though it requires someone switching sides eventually.
Zombicide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
dpisacane wrote:
If you feel like Escape is a little too light, you could also look into Space Alert. That kind of skews a little too far in the other direction, but once you have the rules down it is a fun and tense experience as well.
Space Alert is great fun, and it has rules for a 5 player game, but I don't know how well it works. I think 4 would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damion Pisacane
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Really, I do!
badge
Ready Player Two?
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Haruki Murakami fanMicrobadge: World TravellerMicrobadge: "Think lightly of yourself and think deeply of the world." - Miyamoto MusashiMicrobadge: Studio Ghibli fan
marcied wrote:
dpisacane wrote:
If you feel like Escape is a little too light, you could also look into Space Alert. That kind of skews a little too far in the other direction, but once you have the rules down it is a fun and tense experience as well.
Space Alert is great fun, and it has rules for a 5 player game, but I don't know how well it works. I think 4 would be better.
Yeah, I forgot to include one thing in my comment above. I have edited it now. My thought was that the father and daughter could team up on that one, as she would probably have a tough time playing Space Alert on her own, anyway. I only mentioned it because he suggested that Castle Panic with the Wizard's Tower expansion is VERY light, and given that comment I got the sense that these people are some serious master strategists. I feel like I am good at these games, and I frequently get whipped by the Wizard's Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Again I assume the theme is a no-go and you'd need both boxes (each only comes with 4 heroes, but they come with different heroes) but I also really enjoy Shadows of Brimstone.

City of Ancients
Swamps of Death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, great suggestions!

I did not realize that Dead Men Tell No Tales went to 5 players, but we found a lot of downtime when we played with 4, so I do not think that would work. I will add it to our "already have" list, though, if it plays 5.

Escape is one that my wife and I have played a couple of times (we do not own it). Interesting idea to throw a real-time co-op in there!

Space Alert is not one that my wife and I have wanted to play, really, and since we would be the teachers, we have to start with a game that really interests us. I appreciate the thought, though.

Zombie/Horror themes. Given the reception that Legendary: Alien Encounters had with one of our group, I think these are probably out. Might be the knock against DoW that keeps us from trying it.

Shadows of Brimstone: We have Swamps of Death, and have started a campaign with the 4 of us (minus the daughter), but I do not see getting the other base set to be able to play that weekend. Possibly, though. Could be fun.

I don't mind if you recommend things we already have tried...sooner or later someone will suggest something I do not already know about, and we may find a hidden gem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
dpisacane wrote:
I only mentioned it because he suggested that Castle Panic with the Wizard's Tower expansion is VERY light, and given that comment I got the sense that these people are some serious master strategists. I feel like I am good at these games, and I frequently get whipped by the Wizard's Tower.
Yikes. All I meant was that it did not involve decision making that was all that involved. The boulders have kicked our butts more than once. We do enjoy a game of CP with this group once in a while, even so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damion Pisacane
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Really, I do!
badge
Ready Player Two?
Mizerak wrote:
dpisacane wrote:
I only mentioned it because he suggested that Castle Panic with the Wizard's Tower expansion is VERY light, and given that comment I got the sense that these people are some serious master strategists. I feel like I am good at these games, and I frequently get whipped by the Wizard's Tower.
Yikes. All I meant was that it did not involve decision making that was all that involved. The boulders have kicked our butts more than once. We do enjoy a game of CP with this group once in a while, even so.
Got it. That makes sense. As for another suggestion, have you thought about Mice and Mystics? Apparently the designer has an official 5-player variant that you can find on the publisher's website somewhere.

If you guys get together frequently to play games, this could be a great option because of the continuity built into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I Covet More Dark Stone!Microbadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - MageMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fan
Mizerak wrote:

Shadows of Brimstone: We have Swamps of Death, and have started a campaign with the 4 of us (minus the daughter), but I do not see getting the other base set to be able to play that weekend. Possibly, though. Could be fun.
There are a couple of user-created character classes here on BGG. If you have a suitable miniature to work with one, an experienced player could use one of those and have the others play the box ones. Or of course, you could have two ranchers, or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
If you want something that plays like a campaign one of the Pathfinder Adventure Card games would work. I've been playing Skull and Shackles which is a blast.

Since Legendary Encounters is out, have you looked at the regular Legendary?

There are two Adventurer's Games: Temple of Chac and Pyramid of Horus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Mice and Mystics: A possibility, but for the 5 of us we will not be wanting a campaign. I should have mentioned that at the start - while the four of us (without their daughter) get together about once/week, the daughter is usually away at school, so Thanksgiving weekend is the last time we will see her for a bit (until January, when their son will likely be home too and we will want to play 5-6 players! )

Pathfinder ACG, which we own (well, the Rise of the Runelords) and are campaigning through (just my wife and I), would be out for the same reason.

Shadows of Brimstone with custom characters could be a possibility - we could play one adventure without needing to campaign. However, it does not involve getting something at the FLGS when we return our game.

The Adventurer's Games look interesting, but they do not seem to be co-op...am I missing something there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Microbadge: Northside Gamers GuildMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
You really should have a look at The Captain Is Dead.

Thematically, it feels exactly like being part of the Star Trek crew, on a ship that in which systems are constantly failing, and breaking down, and where you are under relentless attack from aliens.

Works really well with 4-5 players and can go up to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
anomander64 wrote:
You really should have a look at The Captain Is Dead.

Thematically, it feels exactly like being part of the Star Trek crew, on a ship that in which systems are constantly failing, and breaking down, and where you are under relentless attack from aliens.

Works really well with 4-5 players and can go up to 7.
Now we're talking...is it available for the FLGS to order from a distributor, do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:
The Adventurer's Games look interesting, but they do not seem to be co-op...am I missing something there?
Nope, you're correct. I went crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Napoleonic Wars enthusiastMicrobadge: Malifaux 2e: ResurrectionistsMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Weyland ConsortiumMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip ends here!Microbadge: Eclipse Phase RPG fan
marcied wrote:
dpisacane wrote:
Best with 5, actually. And as a bonus you learn the rules as you play, rather than all-at-once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
nomoredroids wrote:
Best with 5, actually. And as a bonus you learn the rules as you play, rather than all-at-once.
Good to know!

Space Cadets! I just remembered this one. Lots of fun!

Space Movers is another great one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |