Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us solo wargames for various reasons. What is your opinion of games designed solely for solo play vs. two-player games that have high solo playability?

Poll
What type of designs do you prefer to play solo?
Two-player wargames with medium to high solo playability
Wargames designed solely for solo play
      340 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy solo-ing multi-player games - by the time each "player's" turn gets around I've forgotten enough things that each turn stays interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played a 2 player game solo since I began using vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Microbadge: "I'm givin' her all I can, Captain!" - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (Scotty)Microbadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: "I'm a doctor, not a . . ." - Dr. Leonard McCoyMicrobadge: "The name of the game is called, uh... fizzbin." - Captain James T. KirkMicrobadge: "Oh, but they do give us something, Mr. Spock. They give us love." - Lt. Nyota Uhura (in The Trouble with Tribbles)
Most solo games feel far too puzzly for my taste - the one exception so far is Mage Knight Board Game. But I'm fine soloing most 2-player wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a difficult poll for me to answer. I had to answer two (or more) player games as that is what I solo most--usually to get rules and strategy/tactics under my belt before playing opponents in a serious game. But this really isn't playing solo for solitaire's sake. For that, the custom solitaire games are far better and I love them for what they do best.

I have a pretty hefty/healthy pool of FTF opponents where I live, so I only play solo to learn the rules when I prep for games. We are all older and working our way through the wargame "bucket list," since we've got more games than we'll ever play before we kick the bucket. So we don't often play the same game more than just once or twice.

But there are those rainy days when I'll drag out some of my favorite solitaire games, titles like Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic, Tokyo Express, and Phase Line Smash, or even some of the newer DG titles....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a game designed for solitaire play when I'm playing solo - IF it's a good game on a topic of interest.

But I enjoy playing multi-player wargames solo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends only on the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
Microbadge: Disabled GamerMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Time for the penguin on top of your television set to explodeMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Watchmen fan
Poll
Han Solo
Hope Solo
Napoleon Solo
      126 answers
Poll created by davepanzer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me." Blaise Pascal
badge
"There is yet faith, but the faith and the hope and the love are all in the waiting." T.S. Elliot
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I have yet to master the learning curve, what Mark Herman has done--is attempting to do--in Churchill is much appreciated. His "Bots" look like a way of trying to take the average wargame and make it "work" for solo play.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me." Blaise Pascal
badge
"There is yet faith, but the faith and the hope and the love are all in the waiting." T.S. Elliot
mbmbmbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:
Poll
Han Solo
Hope Solo
Napoleon Solo
      126 answers
Poll created by davepanzer
If it is the original Napoleon Solo, then it is a tie between him and Han. If it is the new guy, let Han Solo blast him and blast him good.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
bentlarsen wrote:
Though I have yet to master the learning curve, what Mark Herman has done--is attempting to do--in Churchill is much appreciated. His "Bots" look like a way of trying to take the average wargame and make it "work" for solo play.

goo
While for some 'project', then how about an "updated" version of the 'Politco'-aspects from the TSR: A Line in the Sand ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: POLL: Sulu vs. Sulu
bentlarsen wrote:
If it is the original Napoleon Solo, then it is a tie between him and Han. If it is the new guy, let Han Solo blast him and blast him good.

goo
/kiss\ ~"Daughter VS Dad, the 'Preacher'!" surprise ~"Father...SULU!?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
Microbadge: Disabled GamerMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Time for the penguin on top of your television set to explodeMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Watchmen fan
bentlarsen wrote:

goo
To do that he'd have to shoot first--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soloing multiplayer games to learn the rules is a must, after that I feel like its playing Thumb Wars with yourself even if the game is great.

Solo designs can do incredible things others can't, so I miss that when playing a game solo anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Melnick
United States
Enola
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
I have not played a 2 player game solo since I began using vassal.
I have not solo'd a wargame since email became common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have soloed the Global Campaign in A World at War twice, and I enjoyed every minute. On the flip side, some solo games give me a feeling that I am playing against a robot which leaves me cold.

So yeah, solo-ing multi-player games works better for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Many solo-only games are exercises in beating the odds. They can definitely be fun, but often the design is built around the idea that you have to play well and get lucky (or else the game is "too easy").

Not all multi-player games work well with a solo 'bot. Often there is quite a bit of effort involved in running the 'bot. Never-the-less, I generally find them to be a little more interesting.

This was a difficult question for me, but I came down on the side of 2-player solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to solo two player games. Didn't have much of a choice. Eventually I got tired of knowing exactly what the enemy was thinking.

Fortunately designers are catching on that solitaire only wargames sell like hotcakes and are becoming much more prevalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Many solo-only games are exercises in beating the odds. They can definitely be fun, but often the design is built around the idea that you have to play well and get lucky (or else the game is "too easy").

Yes, I definitely lose interest in a solitaire game once I have figured out a strategy that seems (near-)optimal and the only question after that is to replay until the dice are nice, which I am not going to waste my time doing. I don't mind if it is like a puzzle as long as it takes time to solve, but I prefer if there is just enough variation to make the puzzle unique each time so that it is not just replaying the same strategy over and over. That is why I think a solitaire game almost must have something like the random setup and events in Fields of Fire or lots of scripted scenarios like Ambush!. If it is just the exact same historic setup over and over it will quickly just be about rolling well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I enjoy more playing solo with two-player games than games designed solely for solo. It is the process of thinking about strategy and tactics, the system itself and the victory conditions that I was indulged in. While playing games designed solely for solo, I always think the computer AI is a much better opponent than paper one. Very few solo AI in board wargames are smart enough. One big exception so far I hanged onto was Mark Herman's The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC. Smart AI in computer game is also hard to come by but the recent Wars and Battles is pretty good. I play this game solo more often these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game itself !

Paper AI is sometimes hard to beat, for exemple in Tokyo Express or in Carrier. The AI is not really creative but its tactics are efficient, more than anything I never saw in a naval computer game.

Sometimes, it is much easier. After 1 or 2 games, Peloponnesian War is no more a challenge as you have cracked the system and understood how to turn the AI' expeditions into no-return journeys. The balance system is all that saves a design far more interesting with 2 human players.

Randomness is no issue for me in a solo game as long as you have to make and balance decisions. OK for Fields of Fire. Not OK for B-17...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 (or multi) players with high solo suitability.
Why cutting my chances? Also, it's nice to have a rules' feedback when played in 2 (or more), has a positive effect whenever I solo play.

Probably there are only 2 solo wargames exclusives so far that are really "must", to me: D-Day at... Butterfield's franchise, and Fields of Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bolo75
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A difficult poll for me to answer as well, I came down on the side of solo-only game designs but I often play both styles.

The best/most effective solo design I am aware of is the enemy unit activation and movement for Raid on St. Nazaire! Quite elegant and provides a great solo game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Second the comments about a general preference for solo'ing 2- or multi-player games vs playing designed-as-solitaire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I've yet to find a solo board game design that's worth the effort expended in modeling an opponent. It's much easier, and often less gamey, to simple play a two player game solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |