Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the speicherstadt play well with two? If not why, any variants to help or is it a lost cause? What about the expansion does it add anything that could help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the base game and have played strictly 2p-it's not great. While we both enjoy the auction & the tension of the fires, with 2p whoever wins the fires will always win and it's way too easy to tell early- to mid-game who that will be with no recourse for the loser. To top it off, the randomness adds to our disappointment with it. That being said, and though I've never had the chance to try it myself, I've heard the expansion solves a lot of this & improves 2p tremendously. Unfortunately, to get an English language edition, you're looking at big bucks and a long wait Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the expansion help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know since I haven't had an opportunity to try it myself, I've just heard it does. Sorry :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
How does the expansion help?
You can see Rahdo's run through here for the expansion and it's 2 player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo doesn't ever say anything negative in his videos so not always the best baseline for an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Rahdo doesn't ever say anything negative in his videos so not always the best baseline for an opinion.
He always says something against a game when it doesn't play well with two.

But forget what he says and just watch the runthrough to see how the game plays. Why rely on someone else to form an opinion for you when they give you everything you need to form your own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this a lot at 2 players only and it still sits comfortably as my personal favorite Feld game. I feel the careful bidding to out maneuver your opponent and trick them into overbidding on something you don't need very intriguing.

It almost turns it into a two player deduction game as you make some bids just to throw them off your scent before bidding big on one item you really need. All the time, trying to block them on their priority. Blocking is a mean action in and of itself, but because its bidding with cash, it really doesn't feel that way to me.
At first it will seem like you are just bidding back and forth with little to no purpose. But as you start to understand the flow of the game, timing becomes everything.

I know it`s most certainly not a lot of people`s favorite Feld, but that clever timing of the bidding really excites me everytime. I think I really need to play Castles of Burgundy. haha.

EDIT: The expansion is a must if you can get your hands on it. The new cards are great and add even more weighty choices; plus the metal coins are just cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Does the speicherstadt play well with two? If not why,
Have you examined the User Suggested # of Players poll on the game's main BGG page ? It won't tell you "why" but it will show you low popularity ... based on a greater number of responses than you most likely will see in just this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Have you examined the User Suggested # of Players poll on the game's main BGG page ?
To save you the trip, 58% percent of the people responding say it is not recommended for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Have you examined the User Suggested # of Players poll on the game's main BGG page ? It won't tell you "why" but it will show you low popularity ... based on a greater number of responses than you most likely will see in just this thread.

I always check that but would rather hear from people that do enjoy with two the those that don't. We never play with more people so when other say it's better with more it's not always the case for us. I like to hear feedback from those that do end up like it and there reasons why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
TVis wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I always check that but would rather hear from people that do enjoy with two the those that don't. We never play with more people so when other say it's better with more it's not always the case for us. I like to hear feedback from those that do end up like it and there reasons why.
So you'd rather trust the opinion of a random stranger rather than watch Rahdo's runthrough and decide for yourself? That's trusting someone else's opinion a little more than I'd care for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
TVis wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

So you'd rather trust the opinion of a random stranger rather than watch Rahdo's runthrough and decide for yourself? That's trusting someone else's opinion a little more than I'd care for.
Never said that, I just like hearing feedback as well. Why does it matter to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Never said that, I just like hearing feedback as well. Why does it matter to you.
Because I like helping people. And most people are able to tell after watching a game being played whether they'll like it or not. There ought to be a way to get you to that point as well. If you're watching the game and still can't figure out whether it'll work for you... somethings wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
TVis wrote:
Have you examined the User Suggested # of Players poll on the game's main BGG page ?
To save you the trip, 58% percent of the people responding say it is not recommended for 2 players.
Indeed that might save the trip but it would defeat the purpose of raising awareness among those not yet familiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I prefer to think he was going to "decide for himself" based on filtering the eplanations given by the "random strangers" rather than blindly adding up their yes/no positions to find the score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I prefer to think he was going to "decide for himself" based on filtering the eplanations given by the "random strangers" rather than blindly adding up their yes/no positions to find the score.

It's a culmination of watching videos, reading articles and listening to feedback from random strangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
Personally, I would prefer to get a smattering of random opinions rather than watch a video/podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of fighting for a simple question...

We love this game with two and do not have the expansion (although I'm not opposed to getting it). We've played it with two and four quite a few times and greatly prefer it with two.

Turns are quick and it feels like you are aggressively competing but also "in it together" because every decision is agonizing and there's never enough to do all the things you would like. It's the only game with an auction mechanic that we like besides Biblios, and it scratches a commerce itch the same way Jambo does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Newman
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with two, I would at least use a house rule that the player who doesn't have as many firemen does not get negative points. Would playing without the fires altogether work? I have only played the game once long ago, and it was with four players. Just trying to get a feel for how it might work. And no, I don't have time to sit through a lengthy video. I just want to read text and then form my own opinion. I generally cannot stand videos because they are so slow and it takes 45 minutes to get about 3 minutes of the content you actually want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since we played, but I can't recall a two-player game where the firemen made a significant difference. If anything they work to distract players from larger points that would have offset the loss of fire points. I'm pretty sure we've had multiple games where the winning player ignored firemen completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls