23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: How to store sleeved cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer to sleeve my cards and usually game inserts will not accomodate the space that they take up so I have to create custom solutions. I have in the past created custom tuckboxes that specifically fit a certain amount of cards. These take some time to make and I was wondering if there was an easier option out there.

I had though about getting two ribbons and placing them across the cards to make a plus sign, then attaching some type of paperclip or something similar so that the ribbon wouldn't move and everything would stay in to place. I also thought about getting two velcro strips and doing the same thing, but instead of using paperclips I could just use the velcro.

Does anyone have a cheap, fast and easy way to hold cards of a certain width together easily? I don't want to use rubber bands or anything that could be too tight so that it warps the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply use ziploc bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Patrick

Medford
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugo's Amazing Tape, sticks only to itself, not the cardscool You can find it on ebay or amazon. More reliable than the ribbon methodwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I once made some cardboard 'tubes', only just a bit longer than the sleeved cards, so that I could close the ends with rubber bands without them eating into the cards. Full tuckboxes could be better, but that was quick and easy.

(I usually use ziplock bags.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as a MTG player... i have about 30 decks sleeved and box. Which means I need to be careful when it comes to price... this crap can get expensive when you are doing it in qunatity.

I swear by deck pro deck boxes, and depending on the size of the cards, almost all traditional cards i know of fit well

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/145726?gclid=CMf4pqmf9cgCFYYRH...

They are $1.99 each and have some nice support to them. I have never had an issue with these, and like I said... I have about 30 of them in use. I actually buy 2 or 3 whenever I go out just so I have them if I need them.

They are also nice little boxes for Bits and pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freakin' Ed
United States
Saylorsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do something similar to Hugo's Magic Tape.

I take sheets of scrap paper, which I always have more than enough of, cut them into 1/2" to 1" wide strips. I then cut them to the required length to fit around the stack of cards, use a small piece of tape to hold the ends together, and there ya go.

Occasionally, the cards will come free if I didn't tape the "band" tight enough, but it's rarely an issue, especially if the cards have some kind of insert to sit in. If it really becomes an issue, I just re-wrap them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

Most people who care enough to sleeve their cards would likely prefer a more sophisticated storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Most people who care enough to sleeve their cards would likely prefer a more sophisticated storage solution.

Bags would be fine if they were the right size but if you use a regular ziploc bag all the cards move around too much. I used to use better fitting bags but found that the plastic sleeves would curve inward at the top because it goes up into a point. If I know where to buy bags that are flat on the bottom those might actually work but I'm not sure where to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Why do you say that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
CapnYB wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Bags would be fine if they were the right size but if you use a regular ziploc bag all the cards move around too much. I used to use better fitting bags but found that the plastic sleeves would curve inward at the top because it goes up into a point. If I know where to buy bags that are flat on the bottom those might actually work but I'm not sure where to get them.

I get mine from here: http://www.clearbags.com/

I have several different sizes, and it is usually pretty easy to find a bag that a deck or stack of sleeved cards will fit in. I intentionally let them fan, for lack of a better term, sideways so that they lie nicely flat in the bag. Never had a problem keeping the corners of the sleeves nice this way.

I prefer making my own tuckboxes, but it does take time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not supported with hard data but a sample size of one agrees with that statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
Not supported with hard data but a sample size of one agrees with that statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you feel like doing a little DIY and searching, tuckboxes work very nicely. Just search the game you've sleeved and see what comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Don't know about most, but I put cards in small zip-locs. You can find ones that'll fit, say, 50 sleeved cards snugly enough that they don't shift around. I know because I do it for some of my board games. I get my bags at Daiso, the Japanese discount store, but I'll bet craft stores, the Container Store etc. would be good options. The ones I use look like those 3rd from the right here:

I play LCGs and use plenty of these too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not derailing the thread......any deckboxes that fit 140 sleeved cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huff wrote:
Not derailing the thread......any deckboxes that fit 140 sleeved cards?
Yes there are. You just need to search for "double" or "twin" deckboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

Only one I see that will 'definitely' fit is the Ultra Pro Dual (180).

Was hoping to find smaller and without the velcro detaching issue !

My search continues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying with the non-hijacked theme. Ultimate guard makes an affordable twin deck box capable of holding 160+ sleeved cards.

Ultimate Guard Twin Deck Case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used the ultra pro deck boxes but they had an unbelievably bad plastic smell to it. Do the ultimate twin boxes have the same problem?

Also, for the twin deck boxes, do those fit fantasy flight sleeved cards? FFG sleeves tend to be taller than other sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
I used the ultra pro deck boxes but they had an unbelievably bad plastic smell to it. Do the ultimate twin boxes have the same problem?

Also, for the twin deck boxes, do those fit fantasy flight sleeved cards? FFG sleeves tend to be taller than other sleeves.

You'll have to ask them for dimensions.
Ultimate Guard - Contact Us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear by those plain white cardboard boxes, BCW is the brand name I think. They come in several sizes, and all hold sleeved cards quite well. Most will also hold the colorful plastic deck boxes pictured above. Plus, you can get them pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeck86 wrote:

I swear by deck pro deck boxes, and depending on the size of the cards, almost all traditional cards i know of fit well...

They are also nice little boxes for Bits and pieces.

Agreed and agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor
United States
Cammack Village
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Pvt. Samuel Palmer 14th Highland Light Infantry KIA 24 Nov 1917 - Cambrai
mbmbmbmbmb
I recycle old transparent report covers into an open-ended tuckbox sized for sleeved (or unsleeved) decks. Essentially, they are built around the dimensions of the particular deck, so each "box" fits well. You just need an Exacto knife and two pieces of tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.