tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Black & white film fanMicrobadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: I've visited all 48 contiguous US statesMicrobadge: Power Grid World Tour: I've Played All The MapsMicrobadge: Age of steam fan
colmmccarthy wrote:
It greatly ramps up the competition with some really nasty new cards, and gives you more paths to victory, but I don't think the Speicherstadt is much fun with less than three players (preferably four and five).
The expansion adds other mechanisms for getting money and VPs. The base game requires getting contracts and ships, but the expansion adds end game victory point conditions as well. Plus, it comes with a handful of metal coins (similar to the start player token in the base game). The expansion is very hard to get hold of, though. I have the German edition and pasted up the cards. Works just fine. There's a file for that in the forum.

I also agree that two-player is not the way to go with this game -- you need at least three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
We play and enjoy many Feld games with two like Bruges, Macao, Bora etc. What's the problem with this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
We play and enjoy many Feld games with two like Bruges, Macao, Bora etc. What's the problem with this one?
I agree those are great with 2p. But Speicherstadt is basically a bidding game. And bidding games generally aren't that fun with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I agree those are great with 2p. But Speicherstadt is basically a bidding game. And bidding games generally aren't that fun with 2.
We enjoy Homesteaders, keyflower, Scoville and Goa. Is it that different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents. I almost chucked Speicherstadt after 2 players, both 2-player, and I'm a huge Feld fan. For whatever reason, I picked up the expansion and gave it another try (also 2-players). I've now moved it from about a "2" to about a "7" with the expansion, and all this as a 2er. So yes it improves the overall game big time, as well as the 2er experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4Corners wrote:
My 2 cents. I almost chucked Speicherstadt after 2 players, both 2-player, and I'm a huge Feld fan. For whatever reason, I picked up the expansion and gave it another try (also 2-players). I've now moved it from about a "2" to about a "7" with the expansion, and all this as a 2er. So yes it improves the overall game big time, as well as the 2er experience.
Good to hear, can't wait to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Morristown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I thought Kaispeicher added length without adding much depth to the two player game. I'm surprised to hear someone say that this significantly improves the 2p experience because it is still, essentially, the same game (now with more cards and a new bidding mechanism).

I thought this expansion was more important for 4 and 5 player games. The new bidding mechanism makes provides a less chaotic way to take a card in the bidding round (which is good at higher player counts). It also adds cards into the game (I thought the 5 player game was too short as the same number of cards are included as in the 2p game).

So, it may be a good addition for 2. But I thought the expansion focused on making the game even better with 4-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that it makes it better in all player counts.

GodfatherPTS wrote:
This is a pretty old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I thought Kaispeicher added length without adding much depth to the two player game. I'm surprised to hear someone say that this significantly improves the 2p experience because it is still, essentially, the same game (now with more cards and a new bidding mechanism).

I thought this expansion was more important for 4 and 5 player games. The new bidding mechanism makes provides a less chaotic way to take a card in the bidding round (which is good at higher player counts). It also adds cards into the game (I thought the 5 player game was too short as the same number of cards are included as in the 2p game).

So, it may be a good addition for 2. But I thought the expansion focused on making the game even better with 4-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls