Subject: As I'm Playing: Super Mario Bros. 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
My first exposure to Super Mario Bros. 3 came from the motion picture The Wizard staring Fred Savage. I remembering being quite impressed with the graphics at the time. The year was 1989, and it would be two years before I owned a video game console of my own. The Sega Master System. It would be another six years before I purchased a N.E.S. of my own. And by that point I had already played and beaten what might be in my opinion the pinnacle of the Mario Series: Super Mario World (the other contender being Super Mario 64, don't make me choose).

As such my experience with Super Mario Bros. 3 has always been colored by coming at it so late. The principal reason I have never progressed very far in the game, or played it seriously is the lack of a save feature. If you lose in Super Mario 3, you have to start from the beginning. Given that I was used to the fact that levels were saved in Super Mario World, and moreover could be played again after beating them, this was a serious step back in game design and one that I had been unwilling to overlook.

But it has been gnawing at me that I haven't beaten this game yet, or at least given it a serious attempt. Super Mario Bros. 3 is considered by many to be one of the better games in the series, and given how much I generally enjoy the series I thought it was time to sit down and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Played some today.

My daughter wanted to join me, and Super Mario Bros. 3 does have a two player option. It is hardly a selling point since each player is playing independently. And personally I don't like that the other player can close out levels. But it is nice that it exists.

One thing that I noticed right away is the 2.5d aspects of the first stage. I don't think that feature is used heavily, but it is an interesting design space.

What does stand out to me is the raccoon is nowhere near as effective as the cape from SMW. I think it has a smaller range, but more importantly flying is more difficult, and floating is also less effective. You can't hold the button and float as long as you want. Floating is a temporary proposition.

The game overall feels much less forgiving than Super Mario World. The difficultly level is higher.

Using a continue wipes out your progress, at least on a certain world.

Given that you can't repeat a level, you only have one chance each game to do any exploring. I played a castle level and found a Warp Whistle. But that meant I didn't have a chance to fight the boss for the stage.

Another feature of not being able to replay a level is that players can't farm for extra lives, or for raccoon tails/big mushrooms or fireflowers like you can in SMW. There is the feature where you can win extra abilities in the bonus stages. But this is much more limited than what is possible in SMW.

I'm guessing there is less content in SM3 than SMW. But given the challenge level I am going to have to spend some time brushing up on my platforming skills to beat this game.

My plan is to go through each world in a straight forward manner at least once, and then make use of warp whistles to get myself as far as I have gotten on any subsequent attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Been having trouble in World 3. Have yet to get past 3:2.

I'm not sure if continues are endless or if they are limited. I'm playing on the Wii, so that is handy since I don't have to try to beat the whole game in one sitting.

But I'm wondering if I might be better served by starting the game entirely over. Presumably I have picked up some skills at the game, and I could grab some inventory items which would be nice. I think I will keep hacking at this, but will certainly consider using a fresh start in the future.

The game has a weird buffering problem on the right side of the screen. Apparently it was not visible on older televisions, but its kind of annoying to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I'm noticing that the levels, while demanding tend to be short. I think that once you figure a good path through, they might not be so bad.

At least as far as I have gotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Finally cleared 3:2. It is pretty easy with a fireball.

Seems like this game heavily punishes the first mistake. You can really breeze through with a power-up.

Did notice the invincibility star lasts almost no time at all. Maybe because of the short levels.

Kind of weird the airships boss stages for each world move when you fail them. I guess to justify the world map to some degree? Since you may not be able to reach the entire map depending on course you took.

Not sure the world map is a positive yet. I mean it is less linear by a whisker. But there is something nice about going directly to the next level. I'm not sure the slight amount of non-linearity justifies the world map in this game.

Lots of different power up-suits here. Arguably too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
One thing about the raccoon tail being underpowered as compared to the cape in SMW is that it makes the fireflower a legitimate choice. There is only one level I can think of in SMW where I intentionally utilize the fireflower.

-Just found out you can't even swing your raccoon tail underwater. No reason to use it at all underwater.

Did I mention yet raccoon tail won't rid the world of pile of bone enemies like the cape does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
Microbadge: "I'm Part of You."Microbadge: CelesteMicrobadge: "You can do this."
frumpish wrote:
One thing about the raccoon tail being underpowered as compared to the cape in SMW is that it makes the fireflower a legitimate choice. There is only one level I can think of in SMW where I intentionally utilize the fireflower.

-Just found out you can't even swing your raccoon tail underwater. No reason to use it at all underwater.

Did I mention yet raccoon tail won't rid the world of pile of bone enemies like the cape does?
hrm... It's been a while since I played, but I could have sworn you could use your tail underwater...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
ColdFrog wrote:
hrm... It's been a while since I played, but I could have sworn you could use your tail underwater...
I just did some Googling. You might be thinking of New Super Mario Bros. 2. The Raccoon Suit comes back in that game with some enhancements. One of them being it can be used underwater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to have a Super Nintendo or something that can play SNES games (like a Super Retro Trio), the Super Mario All Stars cartridge includes Super Mario 3 with a save feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
KlydeFrog wrote:
If you happen to have a Super Nintendo or something that can play SNES games (like a Super Retro Trio), the Super Mario All Stars cartridge includes Super Mario 3 with a save feature.
I have lost SNES saves. I will never again trust a fourth generation video game battery. In fact I wouldn't even trust a N64 game to save the data.

Happily I can soft save with my Wii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
This game has made me realize that I didn't stop yelling at video games because I have become more mature as a person.

I stopped yelling at video games because I don't often play video games that are #@%& obnoxious any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
manukajoe wrote:
You mean this one?
Yup. This game is really challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Just had to use a continue on world 3.

The world map is not meaningless as I thought it was. Some map areas stay defeated, and there are pipes that allow you to travel around even without beating levels.

I'm really hating how fast enemies respawn in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Scarcely advanced at all in the time I put in today. I did reach the castle though, and it appears as if the airship stays available even after using a continue. So that is nice. I do have to defeat more of these levels though in order to reach it, and then of course it will move again if I fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Kind of weird the airships boss stages for each world move when you fail them. I guess to justify the world map to some degree? Since you may not be able to reach the entire map depending on course you took.

Not sure the world map is a positive yet. I mean it is less linear by a whisker. But there is something nice about going directly to the next level. I'm not sure the slight amount of non-linearity justifies the world map in this game.
Yeah, I think the idea was that you don't have to beat all of the levels to get to the boss of a world (and can choose among some of them if some are annoying/difficult), but if you fail in your attempt to beat the boss the airship may go hide someplace and require you to beat another level to get to them.

I'm too much of a completionist to not just play everything... but on the other hand, I've never actually finished this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Accidentally used the warp whistle. Decided to go to level 7.

Pretty tough area. Not sure what I will do from here on. Either continue or start a new game. Or I might just give this thing up. It's probably harder than I really want to put up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I have decided to abandon this game, it is more difficult than what I am looking for and I'm just not having fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls