Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Drews
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

Wanted to play my first game with my partner or a groupd of friends.
In order to get this game frequently on the table i want to have a good starting game that thrills everybody - hopefully enough to get this game a lot more on the table!

So my question is:

With which plaxer count for the first game should i start?

First game with two or first game with 4 or 5?

Thx for your advice - i am doing my best to get this game right into the hearts of my partner and/or gaming group :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend 3 players to start. That way, you can play with all the normal rules without worrying about the few changes made for 2 players. And the game will have less downtime for each player and will have a shorter overall playing time since adding in more players only increases the deck size (which in turn increases the length of the game).

The first time I played, we had 5 players and none of us had played before. That was definitely a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
As it's so different from other game systems, I highly recommend setting it up, and soloing two players. Trying to explain the flow of this game without seeing it in action is very hard.

Also, I would start with smaller player counts and then move up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the three player game is probably the best place to start. The game can be taught with more, but, in that case, I highly recommend ending the game after the second topple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other considerations:

1. Don't count out the two player game. It's wonderful and a great way to learn.

2. Larger games are eminently teachable as long as the majority of players already know how to play.

3. When you are teaching the game, I find it's best to only teach what players need to know at that moment. Get the game going with a nice easy rolling start and introduce concepts as the relevant cards come into the market place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
4 and 5 player games with novice players are likely to end very quickly, possibly at the first topple because the Diaz strength will be minimal. People will just be getting the hang of things when it's over. I'd start with three for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
How good is this game with only 2 players?

My order just shipped (yeah!!), so now I'm also trying to figure out the best way to introduce it to my gaming group. (and 1 player will be at the house this weekend so I have an opportunity for a 2 player game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be a good idea to let the players know that the first game is a learning game. Encourage questions and discuss strategies. Play through the first topple and see if they want to keep going or restart. Also look for an action cheat sheet to distribute so players know which a tions are available and what they do. Emphasize the tension between earning money, which usually doesnt grant prestige, and racking up predtige, whoch usually doesn't earn money. The game didn't click for me until the third play. Now I'm a total evangelist about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.