Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan P
Belgium
Roeselare
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, been playing through the first two tutorials but having trouble to understand the door - mundane lock mechanic (3 defense, 3 attack dice)
My question is do you have to get 3 dice successes in one go to get the door open successfully? Or can these by divided in multiple rounds. So for instance the barbarian gets 2 successes but has one short to blow the door open. Do these successes count in the next round, or do we start over again needing 3 of them?

I've been watching the playthrough of BoW and the "Learn To Play" videos by Rodney but all of these show a direct success. So a bit confused from my side. Thanks for anyone clearing this up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You fight mundane doors as if they were a Hero with 1 wound and the listed Armor value (Defense) and Attack Dice. So in this case you would take your barbarian with say 5 dice and go after the 3 AC and the door would roll 3 dice to try to cancel your values.

Assume 5,4,3,2,1 and 6,3,1.

So after rejecting values below 3 the barbarian has a 5 and 4 while the door has a 6. The 6 cancels the 5 but the door has nothing for the 4 the one success is generated which is all that is required. Door destroyed. Take that wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need one hit to smash them. You roll against them like any other enemy, using their dice and armour stats, and if you get a single hit through, youve smashed the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan P
Belgium
Roeselare
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up, had some discussion with the SA as she had to keep rerolling, it stopped our fun (and the game) for yesterdaynight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you break all doors? Or do you have to have a character with the pick locks ability? What if the door can't be broken and no character with the pick lock skill is available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in that situation, also with warded locks and break ward, the overlord has to be pragmatic and realize that the party would not be able to complete the dungeon, and substitute any impassible doors with standard breakable doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
rashktah wrote:
Can you break all doors? Or do you have to have a character with the pick locks ability? What if the door can't be broken and no character with the pick lock skill is available?
As I read the rules you can open a locked mundane door by smashing it in via fight OR pick the lock. So you always have the option of smashing it down. The lock picking is an ADDITION in the compendium (see the rules for locks there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
rashktah wrote:
As I read the rules you can open a locked mundane door by smashing it in via fight OR pick the lock. So you always have the option of smashing it down. The lock picking is an ADDITION in the compendium (see the rules for locks there).
^What he said. Lockpicking is the safe option, youll always get to open that door, and you know how long itll take. Smashing it open is something everyone (even the mage) can do, but you might roll poorly and be stuck there for another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iain_benson wrote:
I think in that situation, also with warded locks and break ward, the overlord has to be pragmatic and realize that the party would not be able to complete the dungeon, and substitute any impassible doors with standard breakable doors.
Or the party, of whatever composition, needs to make sure that they CAN get through any type of door that they are likely to encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls