10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: First skirmish game, few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M G
Croatia
flag msg tools
So I've just played my first game of Imperial Assault. Lost badly and have few questions.

Ive played that tutorial skirmish map, the one with the crates. I've took tutorial Rebel army and my opponent Imperial forces. Things I'm wondering about are:

Can we move two times in a single activation. Seems pretty powerful, especially with Vader who got close so fast and just used brutality to kill one of my character (the jedi girl) and really hurt another (Chewy clone). They were close to each other.

In fact, how do I kill Vader, he seems super strong.

Another thing, do we need to use activation to pick up crates of contraband?

For example, one of the stormtroopes uses his action to get on the crate marker, and then uses his second activations to move with the crate back to homebase (he used -2 speed). Or does he move to contraband, and use activation to take control of it and the move it next turn (two move actions with -2 speed each)

Also, Imperials seem pretty powereful on this map, since they have 6 stormtroopers that they can spread around and grab crates and consoles.

I'm also wondering about the consoles, say that STrooper uses his two moves to get to console, does he gain control of it immidatily or does it need an action to control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trioxin245 wrote:
Can we move two times in a single activation. Seems pretty powerful, especially with Vader who got close so fast and just used brutality to kill one of my character (the jedi girl) and really hurt another (Chewy clone). They were close to each other.
Yes, you can do any combinations of actions - with the big exception that you can not attack twice with the same figure in one activation.
Darth Vader has a speed of 4. So he is not really fast compared to other figures. And to get close he has to gain movement points equal to at least two times his speed most of the times. And then he can not attack anymore. So I would say this "scenario" is only realistic with Imperial Officers commanding him forward.

Quote:

By using other strong figures... For example a Royal Guard Champion.
Most of the times you do not need to kill him to win, you can get those 16 victory points elsewhere. But yes, killing him is hard and possibly easier with other strong unique figures.

Quote:

Yes, you need an action to retrieve the contraband.

Quote:

For example, one of the stormtroopes uses his action to get on the crate marker, and then uses his second activations to move with the crate back to homebase (he used -2 speed). Or does he move to contraband, and use activation to take control of it and the move it next turn (two move actions with -2 speed each)
The latter.

Quote:
I'm also wondering about the consoles, say that STrooper uses his two moves to get to console, does he gain control of it immidatily or does it need an action to control.
You gain control immediately when standing next to it with at least one figure.
But the effect of gaining one command card through control is only triggered at the end of the round. So this figure must survive until the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Unless specifically said otherwise by mission rules, picking up things requires the Interact action. See Retrieving Tokens from the RRG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
Croatia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I just played badly Altought I still think it's tricky to control those crates with six stormtroopers running around.

I'm guessing that each of those stormtroopers can pick up crate/controle console, and it's not limited to one crate/console per squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Each figure is a separate entity. Each figure operates independently. Each figure activates separately, you just have to activate each figure in a group one after another when you activate a group.

(Usually one figure can't carry more than one token, but that is upto the mission rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trioxin245 wrote:
Yes you can. The only restrictions on actions are that you cannot use more than one action to attack and you cannot use the same Special Action more than once. Both of those restrictions are per activation.

Quote:
Either concentrate all your attacks on him, or ignore him and go for objectives instead.

Quote:
This mission gets you to retrieve contraband. You'll note that the Retrieving Tokens entry in the RRG (page 22) tells you that you must perform an Interact action in order to retrieve a token.

Quote:
An Interact action must be spent on or adjacent to the crate to retrieve it. Note that it is possible to perform a Move action to get movement points equal to Speed before picking up the crate with an Interact action, then spending the movement points gained earlier. The crate penalty will only come into effect for the next Move action.

Quote:
Also, Imperials seem pretty powereful on this map, since they have 6 stormtroopers that they can spread around and grab crates and consoles.
Yes. The starter skirmish teams aren't really all that balanced. They are there to show you a valid squad arrangement and give you all the Skirmish mechanics, but I wouldn't recommend using those teams competitively.

Quote:
Looking in the Control entry of the FAQ, you'll see that it only depends on which figures are adjacent to or on the token in question. No actions are required.

Edit: Dang, it always takes so long to write these long answers out when I'm on the mobile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
Croatia
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
Each figure is a separate entity. Each figure operates independently. Each figure activates separately, you just have to activate each figure in a group one after another when you activate a group.

(Usually one figure can't carry more than one token, but that is upto the mission rules.)
Well there are three tokens and he has 6 stormtroopers and 2 royal guard and Vader. Was really trick trying to control them with my guys (I dont have any expansions so I just used the armies skirmish book suggested)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trioxin245 wrote:
So I've just played my first game of Imperial Assault.

Try and completely ignore him... or try to reduce his effectiveness with stun or weakening.

if you get get a couple of good stun + strong attacks going, then you CAN take him down, but it's not easy. Also why he's so expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
Trioxin245 wrote:

Try and completely ignore him... or try to reduce his effectiveness with stun or weakening.
Well, that is what I meant above: To ignore him you need to get those 18 victory points somewhere else.
So if you ignore him you must be able to gain those by means of the scenario you are playing. And how manageable this is highly depends on the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
simondtaylor wrote:
Trioxin245 wrote:

Well, that is what I meant above: To ignore him you need to get those 18 victory points somewhere else.
So if you ignore him you must be able to gain those by means of the scenario you are playing. And how manageable this is highly depends on the scenario.
Yes, of course, I was merely adding to your point with inflicting conditions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls