BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Revisiting sleeving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
robininni wrote:
Sleeved card decks can only stack so high before sliding and toppling.
Not an issue when you get some wear on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm not buying new games for me in 2018 Microbadge: I Hate Reading RulesMicrobadge: I wish I had a games group
My rule is simple, I sleeve games I love most. Even if the cards aren't being handled much. X-Wing and Netrunner are two examples.

In X-Wing, I sleeved everything in high quality sleeves because I love the game and the look of the cards when sleeved. For Netrunner, I plan to sleeve the main deck in Dragon Shields, everything else I'm not using will be sleeved in penny sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion isn't a game where wear on the card will ruin the game. In a game like Citadels or Hanabi, knowing one card can make all of the difference, so I'd consider sleeving those. Citadels also has that annoying black border which shows wear particularly easily..

That said, I have yet to decide to sleeve a game in my collection, because I don't generally play any one game enough to bother with it. I also like seeing some wear on cards, as it means the game is loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hillis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
knowing one card can make all of the difference...
I sleeved both Bang! The Dice Game and The Resistance for this exact reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved Love Letter: Batman because it gets played a lot and the cards live in a little bag. I might sleeve Eminent Domain: Microcosm if we enjoy it. But once the 50 or so sleeves that were in my barely opened copy of Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin run out, I'll be done. The effort of sleeving cards is just too much and far too expensive to be worthwhile, unless you've a super rare oop game. My copy of Nightfall came sleeved, but that's the only game I'd come close to considering and only if it becomes more pricey secondhand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Sleeving is mandatory for me since my group eats and drinks while they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started gaming I sleeved all the things. Then I realized that most games were not expensive enough and/or I didn't play them enough to bother. So I stopped. Then I started noticing that for games I play a lot, people aren't lying; the cards really do start to show wear. Not usually an issue for me since I buy games to play and not to collect, and I never look close enough at the backs of cards to notice marks that would give information away. But I also realized that it's a whole lot easier to shuffle sleeved cards. So [sigh] now I'm back to sleeving. But only for games that are A) expensive, B) out of print, or C) played more frequently than average.

Mayday standard sleeves all the way. I agree with what you say about that little extra space at the top of the sleeve being annoying, but at that price I'm more than ok to live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
xBino wrote:

That moment you realize it would be cheaper to hire new friends than to sleeve all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
but one of them is my wife... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
I akin this approach to people who leave the plastic wrap on their sofas to keep them pristine. No-one ever gets to use them in their truly 'best' state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was actually noticing some wear starting on my original Dominion set vs the new base cards when I added Intrigue that got me started sleeving. I also went with the Mayday penny sleeves due to cost and sleeve thickness.

I found that it took a little adjustment time to get used to the sleeved cards, but after that it really isn't an issue. You get used to the side-shuffle (and find that it's actually easier & the sleeves help). You also develop the habit of keeping the cards oriented the same way.

Thus far I have not had an issue with decks falling over for Dominion--even by end game your deck isn't big enough for it to be a problem. Now a game like Evolution it can become an issue as that deck gets really tall once sleeved (and those cards really need sleeving). They get a little less slippy with use & you get used to dealing with it.

I'm not sleeving all my games, but the ones with heavy shuffling & handling like the above two, or ones with cards that will wear easily like Evolution or Sentinels of the Multiverse--those get sleeved. Others with more durable finishes and less handling I will leave unsleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermes Padilla
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
Last night I went to my nephew's house to play some two player games. We started with Jaipur, one of my favorites. I was explaining the rules to my nephew who has never played it before, when he suddenly spilled half his bottle of ice tea on the table all over the cards!! I couldn't believe it! It never happened to me before! And I didn't panic, I grabbed some paper towels and calmly started to dry the cards. They were sleeved. Thank god. Some of you may say it's a cheap game (around $17) but it really isn't. It's a deck of cards (no the greatest quality) and some cardboard chips. Those sleeves cost around 3 bucks. I mean it totally wort it.

I started sleeving my games from day one a year ago when I started into the hobby, and a month ago I was seriously thinking that it wasn't worth it, but last night changed everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
Sleeving is silly. We're all going to be dead so why sleeve? (You gonna leave that copy of Innovation to the grandkids?) With sleeving you lose that sexy tactile feel that cards give you. As someone said, it's like plastic on your couch. What are you saving that thing for? Use it like god intended, unsleeved!!! I'll never, never, never, NEVER sleeve.

(Just bought some sleeves for Glory to Rome cuz, you know, out of print. I feel so ashamed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
I love sleeves more than the cards inside them. If I could play a game with stacks of empty sleeves, I would. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Sleeved card decks can only stack so high before sliding and toppling. I don't know the limits of this yet, but I imagine the Premium sleeves make this worse but the thinner regular sleeves could still create a problem.
Best I've managed so far, seems haven't hit my toppling threshold yet at 7+ inches:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

(Just bought some sleeves for Glory to Rome cuz, you know, out of print. I feel so ashamed.)
Don't worry about it, I'll save my sealed copy of GTR Black Box edition for you. You're going to die someday, so you don't need all that money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster - my corpses pave the groundMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: My Games For Trade
The only time I used Premium Maydays was for my PnP Dune. The rest of the games are sleeved with regular Maydays and I'm happy with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Don't worry about it, I'll save my sealed copy of GTR Black Box edition for you. You're going to die someday, so you don't need all that money.;)
Ooooo, Black Box?!?!? Can I trade you my kid? He's kinda surly but good strong shoulders, salt mines material. I'll even sleeve him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls