Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Status: FINISHED. This thread is no longer being updated. Please see the RCC V1 thread for current info.

I just finished up work on a couple variants for Descent 2E and Imperial Assault. Figured I'd take a break from creating stuff for a bit. But no, my brain kept churning and ideas kept popping into my head.

I love Flash Point, but always felt there could be so much more that could be done with it. I looked at the Ladder 11 variant, and was keen on a lot of stuff it was trying to do.

I did want to try something a bit different though. I had been making notes on a campaign variant for Flash Point for some time. I figured now would be a good time to put it all together and see if it sticks.

I'll say right up front that I did borrow stuff from Ladder 11, though modified to fit into my setting. I've spoken with Charlie about this and he is fine with it. I like what Ladder 11 was trying to do, I just wanted to take it in a different direction.

I only have a basic framework put together. I'm putting it up here to gauge interest and see if I should develop it further.

The campaign centers around a city map, which contains locations representing the different Flash Point boards. There is also a location for a firehouse. The location for an alarm call is determined by rolling two dice.

Players start with a firehouse of unskilled firefighters (basically what you get when using the family rules). The firehouse gains XP when the firefighters go on a call, and that XP can then be used to purchase upgrades for the firefighters or the firehouse.

Locations on the map can be razed if the players fail the call. But, locations can also be rebuilt if the players do especially well on another call.

There are event cards, firefighter death, and other things to make it more interesting than just a standard game.

As I said, this is just a very basic set of rules right now. If people express interest, I will flesh it out. I'm not happy with the travel rules as they stand right not. I'm also not sure if the XP gains/costs are balanced well. I want to have constant progression, but don't want it to happen too quickly.

The setup I have assumes that players have all the Flash Point expansions. I suppose adjustments could be made for missing expansions.

So please take a look. Give some feedback and let me know if RCC is something you would be interested in seeing developed further.

All the files can be found on my Google Drive at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzpR1-5sN2wANjJpdXhE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're single-handedly reinvigorating my interest in my game collection Paul!!

Bring it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an idiot and forgot to include a link to the files in the original post. Just added it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went straight to your folder sitting in my Google drive - it must be habit!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cameron Corlew
United States
Martinez
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like fun! and im very interested in what you develop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I've already changed the travel to location rules. Didn't like the original anyways.

When traveling to a call, roll a d8. On a 1 or an 8, the firefighters encounter a traffic jam. Then roll a d6 to see how long the delay is. Resolve a number of Advance Fire steps equal to the amount rolled on the d6.

I like this method better. This also allows me to add another upgrade to the firehouse, and maybe another commendation card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definite interest from me! Especially if you include support for all the expansions. I'll playtest and give feedback or any other help you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewmdale wrote:
I went straight to your folder sitting in my Google drive - it must be habit!!
Stalker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% trying this! If it's as good as your SW:IA AE variant I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V0.2 is up. All files have been updated.

- New Travel rules.
- Added Traffic Control firehouse upgrade. Removed travel bonus from Faster Vehicles upgrade.
- Added Game Phases section.
- Reorganized most of the rules to follow the steps in the Game Phases section.
- Event cards: Added Clear Roads, Busy Streets, Hidden, and Could Be Trouble cards. Edits to Trash Heap, Blocked Hydrant
- Commendation cards: Edits to First On The Scene.
- Training cards: Added water cannon to Deck Gun Use.
- Added Training section. Moved Specialization, Endurance Training, and Cross-Role Training section into the Training section.
- Added Special Rules section.
- Added lose condition for losing the last engine or ambulance.
- New, sexier city map

I'd like to add rules for adding explosive objects to the garage, and dangerous objects to the lab.

I'm not completely happy with the unlocking of roles mechanic. Gotta figure a way to tweak it or throw it out.

I want to add levels to firefighters. Firefighters would gain a level for each successful call they go on. Would tie levels into training and as a factor for how many Commendations a firefighter can carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I've just banged out a whole system for firefighter and firehouse levels. This solves my problem with role unlocks as well. Levels also give structure to how and when various upgrades and training can be purchased.

I'll probably post the changes tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
And I've just banged out a whole system for firefighter and firehouse levels.

Paul, you're absolutely awesome! Thanks a bunch for all the dedication and effort you put into those things, can't wait to see the final result, my boys will love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the level system mostly fleshed out. However, it may be too ambitious. I'll explain.

The Firehouse will have Funding Levels, and the firefighters will have levels. The max level for both is 14. A Funding Level of 14 is required to have all roles and upgrades unlocked.

The Firehouse gains a Funding Level on a successful call, but loses a level on a failed call. This means, at the very least, it would take 14 sessions to reach the max Funding Level.

My first thought was "Oh s**t, that's way too many levels". But then I realized that the campaign is not designed to ever be 'finished'. The campaign is designed to give a feeling of progression while playing a game you were just going to play anyways. So, each time you sit down to play Flash Point, you simply progress your characters and the campaign a little bit. And next time you play, you will possibly have some new options unlocked.

As the variant stands now, it's not a sit down and play it from start to finish kind of thing. It's turning into a different way to play Flash Point using persistent characters and a leveling system over time. Yes, it may take you a year to max out the Firehouse Funding Level. But is that really a problem?

I could shorten the level spread. But then my concern would be that everything would be unlocked too soon, and the campaign would lose it's sense of progression. You'd just be back to playing playing (mostly) regular Flash Point.

I suppose my slight ramble will make more sense once I post the new version of the rules tomorrow.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Are people OK with a system that may take a long time to max out, but gives a feeling of accomplishment every time it's played? Or do people prefer instant gratification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V0.3 is up.

- Assemble Team: Added rule about roles banned from a board and cross-training.
- Added level system for firefighters, and funding level system for the firehouse.
- The role change action is not available at the start of the campaign, it is unlocked based on the Firehouse Funding Level.
- Because of the new role change rules, all firefighters that participate on a call will gain XP and will be allowed to upgrade at the end of the call.
- Available firefighter roles and Firehouse upgrades are now unlocked based on the Firehouse Funding Level.
- Available training and max number of Commendation cards are now unlocked based on a firefighter's level.
- The Firehouse Roster sheet has been split into two sheets: The Firehouse Record sheet (which tracks Firehouse info and unlocks for both the Firehouse and firefighters) and the Firehouse Roster.
- Added Firefighter Level and Firehouse Funding Level sections.
- Training cards: Added roles to Cross-Training cards. Reduced the number of Basic Firefighting cards, because it can only be used by one role.
- Changed Winning A Game section to Completing A Call. Changed Losing A Game section to Failing A Call.
- Lowered some of the XP costs.

I initially had some concerns about the leveling system, but made some adjustments that make me feel better about it.

The XP costs will likely fluctuate a bit every update. I'm still trying to find the perfect balance.

I worry a bit about the first call using all Probies. I want the first call to have a decent chance of being successful, so that at least one of the Probies will have a good chance to specialize. I'm thinking about not drawing an Event card for the first call of the campaign to make it a little easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming in the next update:

Fire training exercises. For training Probies or just having a no-pressure game.

Rules for explosive and dangerous objects.

An even sexier city map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V0.4 is up.

- Knocked Down: A free Role Change action can be used to replace a lost firefighter.
- Completing A Call: When pushing to rescue more Victims after a successfull call, the decision to end the call must be may after a Victim is rescued, or a False Alarm is revealed.
- Game Phases: Added easier rules for the first game in a campaign.
- Added Fire Training Exercise section. For training Probies or just to have a no-pressure game.
- Special Rules: Added rules for placing explosive/dangerous objects in the Garage and Laboratory.
- City Map: Added check boxes for marking razed locations. Re-aligned text elements. Corrected spelling error. Added bling.
- Event cards: Made a pass through the cards to correct some text. Added Out Sick card.
- Commendation cards: Made a pass through the cards to correct some text. Added PR Expert card.
- Removed the Completing A Call and Failing A Call section. Moved that information into the Arrive section for better information flow.
- Renamed Switching Roles section to Role Change.

I do wonder if starting out with all Probies is going to be too difficult or frustrating. I'll have to rely on your feedback about that.

At this point, the rules are ready to sit and cook for a bit. Updates will slow down to allow time for playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original V0.4 City Map was missing a couple checkboxes. I just fixed it and updated the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, do you know what you've done? You've gone and cost me a bunch of money by forcing me to go buy all the Flash Point expansionswhistle

Thanks for the hard work on what is shaping up to be an awesome variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goreyok wrote:
Paul, do you know what you've done? You've gone and cost me a bunch of money by forcing me to go buy all the Flash Point expansionswhistle

Thanks for the hard work on what is shaping up to be an awesome variant.
Well, of all the games I have, Flash Point probably has the least expensive expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad that RCC is sparking renewed interest in Flash Point for some people.

I've always thought that Flash Point is an excellent game, even though the rules are a bit spread out and an official rules compilation is greatly needed. I think it deserves to be in the top 100 games on BGG.

What I'd really like to see in another expansion is more house layouts for variety . A shopping mall or hospital would be cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedJak7 wrote:
I've always thought that Flash Point is an excellent game, even though the rules are a bit spread out and an official rules compilation is greatly needed
Yes! I have to go back and look up the rules for some of my KS stuff all the time! (Specifically the heavy and injured victims)

I do love the game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed out my playtest version. The city map looks really nice.

I do apologize for the cards being a bit heavy on the ink. I wanted to keep a similar style to the Flash Point role cards (white text, dark background). I did print my own cards using a low quality setting to save ink.

I suppose it won't matter if people are going to get the hi-res cards printed through Printer Studio.

I could lighten the background a bit if people think it's absolutely necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll now find a Tuck Box folder on my share. The boxes are sized to fit sleeved cards. I'm pretty sure I made them deep enough. If not, I can fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone be terribly upset if I mentioned that I am considering adding an easier Town Map to the campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first playtest.

I played with the first game rule (choose location, no Event and Travel phase) and chose the Ranch. On a hunch, I also played without Hot Spots, Hazmats and Special Victims.

Holy crap, it was hard.

Not sure if it was just that we didn't have any extra abilities, or we had terrible luck. Early in the game, one of my firefighters (Dirk Gently) got knocked down. I sent another over to help him. That meant two of our four firefighters were tied up on their turns.

My wife tried to keep things under control with her two firefighters, but she was having a hard time. We had crap luck with rolls, and got explosion after explosion along one side of the house.

We did win, barely. The house was about to collapse and we were dragging our last two Victims towards the ambulance. We got them out just in time. We kept the other two firefighters out of the house on that last round because of the impending collapse.

But, even though we had to fight tooth and nail to win, we had fun. We got our Commendation cards and promoted Dirk to a Generalist. My wife liked the idea of progression in the game. And we're looking forward to our next game.

So here's my analysis from this first play:

The knockdown mechanic adds a measure of difficulty. But it also feels thematic.

The possibility of losing someone in a structure collapse really makes you think about your actions towards the end of the game. Do you try to rescue that last victim? Or do you make for the door to save yourself?

Naming your firefighters gives you more of a connection to them. They're not just throw-away firefighters.

Starting with all Probies is not easy. I may change the starting roster so that it isn't so brutal. I don't want people to be so frustrated that they don't want to play. I'm thinking starting with 1 Generalist, 1 Driver/Operator, 1 Fire Captain, and 3 Probies would be a good balance.

Or maybe the whole idea of Probies just isn't going to work? Something to think on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |