3 Posts

Dust» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dust with objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Iliano
Belgium
flag msg tools
Has anyone considered playing dust with an objective based system like in Risk?

for example:
"conquer all of america"
"eliminate the orange player"

I feel like it could be fun to have a hidden objective instead of victory points, or to supplement the victory point system. Clearing an easier objective could give you extra points for example, like "have 15 bombers" or "own the antarctic and the surrounding seas"

Does anyone agree with me and have any ideas of how to implement such a system into Dust?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: VeganMicrobadge: I love Palestine!Microbadge: Public Enemy fanMicrobadge: Haqqislam - Masters of the Silk Trade Microbadge: AirMech fan
That sounds like a fun idea to try, but I haven't played the game in a while so I can't make an informed comment on it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I doubt it can work. The idea is nice, but maybe it is exactly one of the reasons Risk is not that popular anymore.

I think you will need the victory point system, at least, because players have to be encouraged to move and attack their units at least as much (on average) as they are producing them. Not using the victory point system gives the players an oppertunity to 'stall' the game, taking the spirit out of it. What is it called that players could do without the victory point system; turtling or something like that? I mean 'slow-playing' by producing all the time to build your defenses without really doing anything else much.

Even with the victory point system, I'm not sure if it's going to work well, because the victory point system itself, as a timing element, forces you to plan ahead. Not so much on the majorities, though, but you will certainly have to keep an eye on your power sources, production centers and capitals. If you're concentrating more on specific objectives than on those three area types, then you might fall behind on the production points for each of your turns, even if you play a card with a high production value. I feel that occupying these areas in Dust could be much more important in relation to achieving the objective's goal in Risk.

I honestly don't know if it works. At least with the Premium version of Dust I have stong doubts. Maybe it works better with the Epic version, but I guess that could make the gameplay even longer and probably slower as well, because (again) you shouldn't underestimate the importance of your power sources, production centers and capitals for getting your production points and NOT allowing your opponents to take them away from you by conquering these areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls