Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

504» Forums » General

Subject: How many people are planning to play all 504 games as a personal challenge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: I Adventure with JakeMicrobadge: A Feast for Odin fan
I've never played any game even close to 504 times, but I feel like this game is taunting me with its title. Like it's whispering, "I bet you can't play all of me. I'm too much for you to handle. I dare you to take me on!" I haven't even bought this game and I don't know if I will yet, but it sounds fun and the possibility of so many game possibilities is one I like.

Anyways, how many of you are seriously planning on playing all 504 games? And of those of you, are you planning on reviewing each one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
Microbadge: Metagaming fanMicrobadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Ruthenia fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fanMicrobadge: nestorgames fan
This many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
Not it.

I like the game, I like the idea of a board game system like it, but I don't foresee that happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: Strategicon attendee
At best, I'd probably play this once a month (unless it somehow makes it to one of the online sites).

504/12 = 42 years at the least to accomplish this (assuming I play a different setup each time). Let's just say that the odds of my still being alive then given my current age and the mortality tables is rather low.

And no... I won't insist on a different setup each time. It'll either be random or "123" (if it's a teaching game).

I've probably played Scrabble 504 times in my life (given all the time I spent at tournaments and clubs in the 1980s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I will probably be replaying worlds before I've played 50 different ones.

Some modules interest me a lot more than others, and while I will probably play all modules in all positions in my first 20 games or so and I expect to enjoy most combinations quite a bit, I will still gravitate towards the parts of the system that interest me the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: Strategicon attendee
knaves wrote:
Nope. I will probably be replaying worlds before I've played 50 different ones.
The odds are you'll play the same world twice after only 27 games (50.8% chance of a repeat setup). With 50 random setups, there's only an 8.1% chance that all will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone sells me a few gaming buddies sure
otherwise I can't see this happening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
My wife proposed trying to play it once a week regularly (possibly with additional ad hoc games) if we both like it, which would theoretically let us play all permutations in a decade. Naturally I agreed with this idea. At least one friend (with whom we play Power Grid every month) seems interested in dropping in on some of these. But we still haven't gotten our copy yet.

We play a lot of games, including at least one game of some sort daily, anyway, so it would not necessarily be a difficult thing for us to do if we like 504 enough to want to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
365 days in a year, play the game every weeknight and 4 times on Saturday, but take Sunday off (or 2 games Saturday and 2 Sunday)
9 games every week
52 weeks in a year
504/9 = 56 weeks

Each game 30-120 mins, medium is 75 mins
75 X 504 = 37,800 minutes
630 hours of 504
24 X 7 = 168 hours in a week
26.25 days or 3.75 weeks of 504

Just take up nearly all of the free time you have in a bit over a year and you'll have mastered the game and truly won 504.
NOW you can play a module you particularly enjoyed back in March again.

By the way, don't take this as me knocking it. I'm very interested in getting it. The price isn't too different from Pandemic Legacy which has a finite number of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to, but I'd be lucky if it even hits the table at my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'd like to try the top 72 combinations, but I'm less interested in trying out 7 TOP.III combinations for each of those 72 games unless I really like the game or think it can be drastically improved with a different TOP.III.

72 distinct games is still pretty great, with 7 "expansions" each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it will be a lot easier to play all the iterations once someone makes a computer version ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
BTW in one of the Essen interviews, FF said something about how some people may try playing all combinations, but that this would (of course) be a long difficult project, and that most people will not want to do that, but rather just play random ones each time or play intentionally chosen ones each time.

It seems analogous to games like Kingdom Builder in that sense. I.e. the number of possible KB board setups is not too large, so that one could theoretically systematically play them all, but in practice most people tend to just randomize the setup or choose what boards (or goals) they want, I think.

I can easily imagine many people doing some more feasible and less ambitious sub-goals, e.g. trying to play enough 504 games to have experienced every module in each of the 3 positions (you could easily accomplish this in just 9 plays), or every possible pair of modules, or some other such non-complete coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If 504 supported solo play, I'd probably give it a try. There's a few games I played through with all possible permutations, e.g. Death Angel and Race for the Galaxy.

Since it requires a group, I'll be lucky if I get to see each module in play at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
My wife proposed trying to play it once a week regularly (possibly with additional ad hoc games) if we both like it, which would theoretically let us play all permutations in a decade.
Your wife rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
jhaelen wrote:
If 504 supported solo play, I'd probably give it a try. There's a few games I played through with all possible permutations, e.g. Death Angel and Race for the Galaxy.
Regarding RftG, what do you mean by having played with "all possible permutations"? Given the deck size (especially when expansion packs are thrown in), I can't see any two games being the same. It's only the distribution of the starting worlds that can be controlled.

Another possibility is to consider the combination of three of the nine game mechanics (in this case, you don't care about the order). That would give 9!/(6! x 3!) = 504/6 = 84 games. Yeah, I know that that the order would matter greatly with respect to gameplay (e.g. 825 plays a lot different than 582 or 258). At least you can say that you've played with all possible sets of three...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jhaelen wrote:
I keep meaning to do that with all the combinations of the handful of expansions that come with Onirim and Urbion. A more realistic easy plan than playing all 504 permutations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any one individual can accomplish this. I think climbing Mt Everest would be easier. If someone does do this, I'll eat my hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cardboard Klatch MemberMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Spielworxx fan
I wanted to try to do a video review of one game each day (when possible) for 504 days. However, getting my hands on the game isn't terribly easy. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be possible to cut the number of games down quite a lot, here are two assumptions that might enable that:

* TOP 3 doesn't alter the game a huge amount, could just play permutations in TOP 1 and 2 (down to 72 games)
* "Privileges" seems to best fit in TOP 3, not that great for TOP 1 or 2, could possibly just skip (down to 56 games)

There could be more assumptions, if you're lucky other people might find out TOP 1 and 2 combinations that are weak and you could just skip those too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your assumptions are both very suspect.

Position III has less impact than position I and II but there are a number of significant differences that can result from changing the module in position III.

I don't know why people seem to think that module 3 is bad in pos I and II.
in those positions it adds taxation and auctions, this seems a lot more interesting than position III, the factories add a diferent thing to go for in those positions also. You do get a lot of bang for your buck with the module in position III but that doesn't make it worthless in position I and II.

If you want to have collected them all, feel free to play every world.
However, if you kind of want to be able to say you've played them all but can't be bothered, DON'T DO IT. Seriously play the combinations of modules that sound most interesting to you and try out a few additional random ones to round out your experience of the game a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
beefsack wrote:
It should be possible to cut the number of games down quite a lot, here are two assumptions that might enable that:

* TOP 3 doesn't alter the game a huge amount, could just play permutations in TOP 1 and 2 (down to 72 games)
* "Privileges" seems to best fit in TOP 3, not that great for TOP 1 or 2, could possibly just skip (down to 56 games)

There could be more assumptions, if you're lucky other people might find out TOP 1 and 2 combinations that are weak and you could just skip those too.
I'm not sure whether arbitrarily cutting out permutations is in the spirit of playing all 504 as a personal challenge.

But it occurs to me that there are many 504 skeptics who think that all permutations are uninteresting mediocre games... so they would cut them all out, and thus they have already played all their non-cut permutations... Challenge successfully met!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
Regarding RftG, what do you mean by having played with "all possible permutations"? Given the deck size (especially when expansion packs are thrown in), I can't see any two games being the same. It's only the distribution of the starting worlds that can be controlled.
Yup, I was referring to the starting worlds, i.e. I played with each of the starting worlds against each of the remaining starting worlds. IIRC, that should be 16*15 = 240 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
What can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll certainly play 9 games to try each module in each position. After that I'll just see what people fancy or try random. I'll keep track though, I'll certainly try to choose worlds I haven't played before most of the time, so maybe eventually I can do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
jhaelen wrote:
Yup, I was referring to the starting worlds, i.e. I played with each of the starting worlds against each of the remaining starting worlds. IIRC, that should be 16*15 = 240 games.
Actually, that would be 16 x 15 / 2 = 120 (unless turn order matters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |