Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavi Bové
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I will be playing my first game tomorrow after three test rounds at Essen with Alban explaining and despite not having great memory I think we played this part of the city council board substantially different from what I understand from the rules...
From the rules In the first space of the construction line you can build a space-1 building without paying its cost...
Does this mean it is build for free? And so on in the next spaces of the construction line? Always for free? Any kind of building? Why then the different icons and colors referring to building kinds are there?

Thanks to all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the 1/2/3/4 bumps on the city council board are to build a building of that size for free. Note, you still have to pay the PP or $$ cost to grease the machinery (IE - "bribe" the official), as noted at the bottom of the grid.

For 1, you could build any of the 3x buildings, 1x1 large, following all construction rules, as per the norm. (Residential, Commercial, Factory, or Refinery [Industry]) - or a park.

For 2, you could build any 2x1 building, observing the influence/building rules. Etc.

The symbols/colors are in respect to the available building types. There is fire station & police station amongst those symbols.

I think for 2, you could build a Wharf, which is why the symbolism is there.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but each of those symbols is giving you the full range of options, and you could even build a building smaller than whichever level you are on (IE - Building a refinery during stage 2).

Keep in mind, the 4th slot allows you to build the building, ignoring influence rules (except the Golden Rule of Industry/Residential cannot influence each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope - you cannot build a smaller building. You always build the size of the new level - 1,2,3 or any.

Building costs you do not have to pay, but of course you need to pay the Council advancement.

Also, note that you cannot build Culture Buildings this way. And that there is a mistake on the board - of course, the Fire Station is 3 spaces and the Police Station only two. The two got mixed up (colours-wise).

And yes, with the 2-spaces Council bonus you can build the Harbour (as it only has two spaces of buildings)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Also, note that you cannot build Culture Buildings this way. And that there is a mistake on the board - of course, the Fire Station is 3 spaces and the Police Station only two. The two got mixed up (colours-wise).

Is that official errata? I didnt see it on the errata sheet in my box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.