A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Pandemic myself. Especially the On the Brink expansion has turned this game into my favourite coop (closely followed by Forbidden Desert and Shadows over Camelot. Thunderbirds seems promising, too). I will be playing my first games of Pandemic Legacy this weekend and I have been looking forward to that since Spiel. Still, I was very much surprised when I saw that PL is currently #72 with not even 1000 votes...

This begs a few questions:

Will Pandemic Legacy be the game to finally knock Twilight Struggle off its throne? Or is this a very extreme version of Cult of the New? Will Legacy be the end of the normal Pandemic series? Will "Legacy" be the new trend in board gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So...
These one play games are not forced to stand the test of time. So it will be interesting to see what happens to the rankings in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy is that awesome. I'm just on June, but I'm 100% sure I would play again with another group. In my opinion, Pandemic Legacy is the sort of excitement & fun you won't find on another medium but in boardgames. It would totally deserve that #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already two whole topics about this question. I'd recommend participating in them instead of creating yet another thread, especially one with a completely uninformative title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
There are already two whole topics about this question. I'd recommend participating in them instead of creating yet another thread, especially one with a completely uninformative title.
I changed the title. My question seems to be more expansive than the others, but if this thread must be closed then so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just forget about the rank question, since there's another active thread about that right now.

Will Legacy be the end of the regular Pandemic series?
I can't imagine they'd stop making regular Pandemic titles as long as they keep having ideas for new expansions. They don't seem to have any problem expanding the franchise in multiple directions at once. 2015 saw the release of both PL and State of Emergency, while 2014 had both Contagion and The Cure. Basically, they have a popular brand and I can't imagine why they'd suddenly decide to focus on only one aspect of it.

Will "Legacy" be the new trend in board gaming?
Yes. You don't see a game this successful without other people trying to copy it. Risk Legacy is sitting just outside of the Top 100 (and was actually in the Top 100 at some point, I think). The "Legacy" designer (Rob Daviau of Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy) was already working on two other Legacy games before this one came out. SeaFall has been near the top of various most-anticipated game lists for a long time now. He'll keep doing it, and other people will jump on the bandwagon.

For both questions, the short answer is: if a concept is successful, people will keep doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Anyone know what the deal is with "Legacy" as a trademark/name?

It seems *unlikely* that Hasbro would have just signed it over to Rob, but then if we're taking the approach that it's just a generic term (which it arguably is) then I guess anyone could use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
Let's just forget about the rank question, since there's another active thread about that right now.

Will Legacy be the end of the regular Pandemic series?
I can't imagine they'd stop making regular Pandemic titles as long as they keep having ideas for new expansions. They don't seem to have any problem expanding the franchise in multiple directions at once. 2015 saw the release of both PL and State of Emergency, while 2014 had both Contagion and The Cure. Basically, they have a popular brand and I can't imagine why they'd suddenly decide to focus on only one aspect of it.

Will "Legacy" be the new trend in board gaming?
Yes. You don't see a game this successful without other people trying to copy it. Risk Legacy is sitting just outside of the Top 100 (and was actually in the Top 100 at some point, I think). The "Legacy" designer (Rob Daviau of Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy) was already working on two other Legacy games before this one came out. SeaFall has been near the top of various most-anticipated game lists for a long time now. He'll keep doing it, and other people will jump on the bandwagon.

For both questions, the short answer is: if a concept is successful, people will keep doing it.
I guess I was talking about "normal" Pandemic. I have played Contagion (but would not mind never playing it again) and am interested in playing The Cure. But my preferred game is still Pandemic (2nd edition + On the Brink). I might look into adding the In the Lab expansion, even.

What will happen to it now that it's apparently wildly attractive young offspring has lept onto the stage? Of course I do not expect to be playing it much once our Legacy Campaign has started, but what about when it has finished? Will we ever be able to go back to "normal" Pandemic and enjoy it? Or would season 2 be available by then? And if it is, will that then settle it for Pandemic? Or would the self-destructive nature of Legacy mean that there is a place for daddy-Pandemic in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
AernoutMJC wrote:
...what about when it has finished? Will we ever be able to go back to "normal" Pandemic and enjoy it?
We're in late June. Playing this has actually gotten me interested in pulling out my now-old copy (wooden cubes!) of Pandemic and On the Brink and playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
On the one hand, I can totally see any mechanics from Season 1 that work really well being developed and back-ported into a future Pandemic expansion.

On the other hand, I can totally see this not happening, as they may not want people playing Season 1 in five years time and going "this is all very well but it's all taken from Pandemic expansions".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, how I hope the Legacy series is FAR from over. SeaFall truly sounds entertaining, but I'm far more intrigued by taking existing games and giving them a narrative of permanence. I would gladly see many popular games that have grown tiresome in our group (Catan and Ticket to Ride come to mind) get new energy from the Legacy concept. I'm a massive fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls