Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where a good lunch game here means...

- a four player game completes w/ cleanup and some minor AP prone people in 45-55 minutes
- setup is relatively quick
- doesn't invite people to AP for hours

Examples of my favorite lunch games (excluding the 'fun' games like spyfall/coup):

Biblios - one of my most "legit" games easily played at lunch time
For Sale
San Juan (when we don't have a quick urge to wrap up exactly by an hour)

Assuming RollFTG is already qualified by the kind of game it is, I want to know if I can roll it into our lunch games or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:

- a four player game completes w/ cleanup and some minor AP prone people in 45-55 minutes

Examples of my favorite lunch games (excluding the 'fun' games like spyfall/coup):

For Sale

Assuming RollFTG is already qualified by the kind of game it is, I want to know if I can roll it into our lunch games or not...
I wouldn't say so...
Teaching times are 20 minutes.
slower games should take 45 to 75 minutes

Tear down NOT included, although I guess you could just throw everything back into the box and sort it out later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Adoptive parentMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: Miniature Painter
isthar wrote:

For Sale

We play at lunch and haven't had any problems keeping our games to about 45 mins after the first teaching game (3 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play this game tomorrow over lunch, as a matter of fact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love sloths!Microbadge: Let's do something CRAZY!Microbadge: I prefer to do something that's in my comfort zone.Microbadge: The Awkward Yeti fanMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
paedia wrote:
isthar wrote:

For Sale

We play at lunch and haven't had any problems keeping our games to about 45 mins after the first teaching game (3 players).
I tend to agree. As long as everyone knows how to play, I would think you could get out a game in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as long as everyone knows how to play it's a 30-45 minute game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: "I have spoken."Microbadge: Legendary Online League participantMicrobadge: Black Widow fan
I'm going to say no. I'm in a gaming group that meets at lunchtime. I brought Roll for the Galaxy once. Everyone liked it, but it ran a little too long, so I haven't brought it back to that group. For the first couple of plays at least, the game tends to run about 60 minutes, not including introducing/explaining/teaching the game. Add at least 10 minutes for that. I suppose it's possible, if everyone in the group knew how to play and you played on a regular basis, you could get it down to 45 minutes. At least in my gaming groups, it seems like there's always someone who hasn't played the game before or who needs a rules refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Book EditorMicrobadge: I rate and comment gamesMicrobadge: Blogger
My group plays this frequently over lunch, and even the many teaching games, with explanation, have lasted under an hour. It depends on what your group knows and is comfortable with. Roll isn't a good first lunch game, but if a group has learned other fairly complex games, this one is no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm hearing "not the best"... I mean, this is a group where games like splendor can run the entire lunch "hour"...

while we're on topic who wants to suggest their fave lunch game?

to add more color, I am asking the average "experienced gamers but new to this game" type of timing... see, I know what people mean when they say "race takes me 15 minutes" but really, NO, you cannot say Race is a 15 minute game. It's much longer for average players playing occasionally (we play lots of games...). I am myself psyched for this game, but it feels best to keep it for "after work hours" (which is another set of games)... pity... I'll keep reading reviews, or try to find info on a valid variant that shortens things or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few 4 player games with a couple of new players each time over the last few weeks.

1st game = 1-1.25 hours. Second game = 30-45 mins. Subsequent games = 30-50 minutes.

Setup / packup can be done in 5 minutes (depending on how anal you are).

Ideally, send people the rules to read before you play.

isthar wrote:

while we're on topic who wants to suggest their fave lunch game? :)
Surely Glory to Rome :) Super fast setup, pretty much always under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm going to go on a different tack:

It's not a great lunch game, for reasons you haven't specified: there's not a enough 'downtime' to actually eat! In some games, you have the opportunity to eat while opponents pondering their move. Here, you have no such opportunity, and the pace of gameplay is bounded by the slowest player, who typically is always the slowest player (and often the newest).

If you're okay starving someone, it's a fine lunch game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls