Subject: Threat Detected! dice rolls. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Homebrewer - I make my own beer !Microbadge: Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends fanMicrobadge: Smokejumpers fanMicrobadge: iOS DeveloperMicrobadge: Ogre fan
According to the PnP rules:
Quote:
Threat Detected! - When rolled, immediately place these dice in the Scanner. When all spots are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6).
Assuming this is a turn of the game where there are no threats yet and I roll 2 (of the six) with no Medics which will lock 2 in.

Next turn I roll 2 more (of the 4 remaining dice).

According to my understanding (i.e. guessing) I must immediately lock the first one in (triggering a new threat), move these to the returned section, and then lock in the remaining die before I can assign any dice. If a medic was rolled I could unlock the lone die otherwise it waits.

The reason I ask is that I had the misfortune of mid-game rolling all 6 dice and all came up threats. So after "assigning" the 6 Threat Detected faces (+2 threat cards) I moved to the assign roles phase (I had nothing to assign) and then drew a new threat. cry Needless to say after activation there wasn't a ship to continue with.

I'm assuming this is the correct interpretation of this rule or can only 1 threat be activated this way per turn?

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Microbadge: Game Boy fanMicrobadge: Physics enthusiastMicrobadge: Hunters of Arcfall fanMicrobadge: Deep Space D-6: Armada fanMicrobadge: Ramen lover
You've got the rules correct.

Rolling 6 threat icons in a single roll is incredibly rare (1 in 46,656 or less than 1%) and would result in drawing 3 total threats in a single round without being able to assign any dice.

You're not implicitly doomed from this kind of roll but you would have to be doing pretty well before it happened to survive.

Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
robkoch2112 wrote:
According to the PnP rules:
Quote:
Threat Detected! - When rolled, immediately place these dice in the Scanner. When all spots are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6).
Assuming this is a turn of the game where there are no threats yet and I roll 2 (of the six) with no Medics which will lock 2 in.

Next turn I roll 2 more (of the 4 remaining dice).

According to my understanding (i.e. guessing) I must immediately lock the first one in (triggering a new threat), move these to the returned section, and then lock in the remaining die before I can assign any dice. If a medic was rolled I could unlock the lone die otherwise it waits.

The reason I ask is that I had the misfortune of mid-game rolling all 6 dice and all came up threats. So after "assigning" the 6 Threat Detected faces (+2 threat cards) I moved to the assign roles phase (I had nothing to assign) and then drew a new threat. cry Needless to say after activation there wasn't a ship to continue with.

I'm assuming this is the correct interpretation of this rule or can only 1 threat be activated this way per turn?
If I understand what you are asking, then yes, you lock every die that is rolled as a Threat.

For every three Threat, three dice are return (but they can do nothing this turn).

If you roll 1 Threat then you...
Set aside the one Threat die (i.e. lock it into the Scanners).
Then assign your other 5 dice.

If you roll 2 Threat then you...
Set aside the two Threat dice (lock them into the Scanners).
Then assign your other 4 dice.

If you roll 3 Threat then you...
Set aside the three Threat dice (they are locked into the Scanners but then they are all immediately reset and returned), there will be no Threat die set aside now.
One new Threat card is now revealed.
Then assign your other 3 dice.

If you roll 4 Threat then you...
Set aside the four Threat dice (they are locked into the Scanners but then three of then are immediately reset and returned), there will be only one Threat die set aside now.
Then assign your other 2 dice.

If you roll 5 Threat then you...
Set aside the five Threat dice (they are locked into the Scanners but then three of then are immediately reset and returned), there will be two Threat die set aside now.
Then assign your one remaining die.

If you roll 6 Threat then you...
Set aside all six Threat dice (they are locked into the Scanners but then all six of then are immediately reset and returned), there will be no Threat die set aside now.
Two new Threat cards are now revealed.
You have no dice to assign this turn.

Every time you return three Threat dice, you reveal an additional Threat card. This step is done before you assign your remaining dice.

If you follow the 6 steps each turn (see the PnP rulesheet), you shouldn't go wrong.

Hope that was clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Microbadge: Game Boy fanMicrobadge: Physics enthusiastMicrobadge: Hunters of Arcfall fanMicrobadge: Deep Space D-6: Armada fanMicrobadge: Ramen lover
The original rules said: For every 3 threat die rolled, draw a new threat.

But this didn't cover threats that stuck around from previous rounds, and one of the other ships draws threats after 2 threat detected rolls.

If there is a better way to write the rules regarding threat dice, please let me know. I spent a long time trying to figure it out once I made the switch.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Alan Moore fanMicrobadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: Carl Sagan fanMicrobadge: Computer Technician

"When rolled, immediately place these dice, one at a time, in the Scanner . Whenever all sectors are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card and move dice in the scanner to the returned pool. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6)."

That might clear it up a bit, maybe. (Also changed 'spot' to 'sector' just because I think it sounds less generic and more Sci-fi) Whatcha think boss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Homebrewer - I make my own beer !Microbadge: Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends fanMicrobadge: Smokejumpers fanMicrobadge: iOS DeveloperMicrobadge: Ogre fan
Aron's wording would have worked for me and I have included it in my "clarification" . There are two sections I see that reference this in the PnP rules:

Quote:

Page 1, 2nd column:
Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here. When all spots are filled, immediately draw a new threat card.

Page 2, 2nd column:
1. Roll available Crew Dice - Roll all available crew. Any {threat} that are rolled are immediately locked into the Scanners.

2. Scan for Threats - Check Scanners. For every three Detected Threat icons, draw a new threat card and place those dice aside (These dice become reset). Any remaining Detected Threats will stay there until they are removed by a scan.
These could slightly be altered to read:
Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here one at a time. When until all spots are filled, then immediately draw a new threat card , reset these 3 dice, and continue placing any remaining {threat}.

1. Roll available Crew Dice - Roll all available crew. Any {threat} that are rolled are immediately locked into the Scanners per step 2.

2. Scan for Threats - Check Scanners. For every three Detected Threat icons immediately place these dice, one at a time, in the Scanner . Whenever all sectors are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card and move dice in the scanner to the returned pool. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6).

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
robkoch2112 wrote:
Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here one at a time. When until all spots are filled, then immediately draw a new threat card , reset these 3 dice, and continue placing any remaining {threat}.
I don't think you would want to be specific in the number of dice that are reset, i.e. you don't want to say "reset these 3 dice".

robkoch2112 wrote:
1. Roll available Crew Dice - Roll all available crew. Any {threat} that are rolled are immediately locked into the Scanners per step 2.

2. Scan for Threats - Check Scanners. For every three Detected Threat icons immediately place these dice, one at a time, in the Scanner . Whenever all sectors are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card and move dice in the scanner to the returned pool. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6).
The problem here is that you introduce a new word, "sectors", that isn't defined anywhere. I would be wondering where these sectors are and how they get filled.

On page 1, the Scanner locations (or slots) are called "spots" so I would just suggest that the same term is used on both page 1 and page 2.

Something like (based on your work).

Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here one at a time until all Scanner locations are filled, then immediately draw a new threat card. Reset the dice from the Scanner locations and continue placing any remaining {threat}.

1. Roll available Crew Dice - Roll all available crew. Any {threat} that are rolled are immediately locked into the Scanners as per step 2.

2. Scan for Threats - Check Scanners. For every Detected Threat immediately place these dice, one at a time, in the Scanners. Whenever all Scanner locations are filled, immediately draw and place a new threat card and then move dice in the scanner to the returned pool. (These dice are unavailable until Step 6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Works for me! copy/paste is evil ... I meant to remove the reference to the number of dice and grabbed Aron's copy as well.

Thanks of the catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
xris wrote:
Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here one at a time until all Scanner locations are filled, then immediately draw a new threat card. Reset the dice from the Scanner locations and continue placing any remaining {threat}.
This doesn't read right as it suggests you draw a threat card whenever you place Threat dice.

Perhaps

Scanners - Place any {threat} that you rolled here one at a time. Whenever all Scanner locations are filled, immediately draw a new threat card and then reset the dice from the Scanner locations and continue placing any remaining {threat}.

This still could do with some work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Alan Moore fanMicrobadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: Carl Sagan fanMicrobadge: Computer Technician
xris wrote:
The problem here is that you introduce a new word, "sectors", that isn't defined anywhere. I would be wondering where these sectors are and how they get filled.

On page 1, the Scanner locations (or slots) are called "spots" so I would just suggest that the same term is used on both page 1 and page 2.
Yes, you would definitely want to keep the terminology consistent. I just think we can come up with something more evocative than 'spots' before Tony go to the presses. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Green Lantern fanMicrobadge: He was crucified under Pontius Pilate, suffered, died, and was buried.Microbadge: On the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.Microbadge: He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father.
I think I somehow missed the "move the dice to the returned pool after drawing the threat card" rule. That would definitely make the game easier to get those dice back instead of constantly being locked and then generating a double threat each turn. :-/

Think I need to go over the rules yet again to make sure I'm not missing anything. I was barely making it 10 turns in as my first couple of rolls inevitably resulted in a full threat meter. Good learning experience for everything else, though. The stasis beam does make a big difference, though I still had a bear of a time eliminating threats. The dice just didn't like me - no tactical dice or medical dice except when they weren't heavily needed. Lots of science dice on the first roll, which was always a bit frustrating. Time to give it another go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls