Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question - Spoilers from May through August rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of accelerated incubation questions but none as it relates to the "flexible" character upgrade.

Flexible allows you to discard a card to draw another card of the same color from the discard pile.

Does this count as drawing a card for accelerated incubation purposes?

I'd say since they intentionally chose the word draw, as opposed to (spoilers from June or July)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Soldier power which says "pick up" a card from the discard pile

They were intentionally making the distinction that you should accelerate when using flexible.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think so, but I understand your point on the wording...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The incubation rule is in the "draw from the player deck" part of the rulebook, so my answer is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamequack wrote:
The incubation rule is in the "draw from the player deck" part of the rulebook, so my answer is no.
That's the best argument I've seen / heard to the contrary. Wish the designer would weigh in, but happy to hear other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its more than an "argument" there is an explicit rule dealing with precisely the situation you raise. Accelerated incubation happens when you draw from "the player deck" not when you "draw" or "pick up" from the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
I believe its more than an "argument" there is an explicit rule dealing with precisely the situation you raise. Accelerated incubation happens when you draw from "the player deck" not when you "draw" or "pick up" from the discard pile.
Well, that's not the actual wording on accelerated incubation. It says when you draw player cards, not when you draw cards from the player card deck. The cards in the discard pile are still player cards.

They could have very easily included the words "from the player deck". Or they could have had flexible read "pick up" like the soldier power does regarding equipment.

There's no section of the rules that details taking cards from the discard pile, and there's no where else the sticker could go to be more generally applicable, I think. And an argument on using distinct/specific wording is the same sort of rationale behind being able to use Mobile Hospital to remove two cubes of Coda in the early months (because it uses the word remove instead of the word treat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The incubation rule is placed under the "draw from the player deck" part of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Accelerated Incubation only applies when drawing from the deck not the discard piLe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls