Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that best represents the usage of political power/influence.

I don't mean diplomatic political power such as diplomacy or civilization, but rather you (as a player) have a connection with a person with political power and your action then uses this power to perform a duty.

In some games you have "influence" over a person; but the influence is either a variation of area control or does very little.

Is there a game where your political clout actually does something (positive or negative) and your connection to this person is either a mechanic or is rewarded?

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Churchill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Junta El-Presidente gives out offices (that provide power) to the other players at the beginning of each round. He then divides up the budget among the players. He hopes that he made enough of the other players happy enough that they don't overthrow him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In City Hall the actions are auctioned off to the players using Influence as the currency. So when it is your turn, you put one of the seven actions (civil offices) up for auction and then everyone gets one bid to try to buy that action from you. You can either take the influence and let them perform the action, or pay influence equal to the high bid to the bank to take the action yourself.

The goal of the game is to best develop NYC to attract popularity and votes to win the mayorship. So it pretty nicely models the corruption and under-the-table deals of politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Churchill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall might be something to check out. I haven't played it but have watched a few run throughs - it has an area control element in which you wield political influence on different immigrant populations in NYC (which you help settle into different neighborhoods depending on your influence) to win elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kremlin

At the start of the game each player secretly writes down how much influence they have on 10 different characters in the game, ranging from a low of 1 to a high of 10 points. As the characters rise through the ranks of the politburo they gain various powers. The players can take over a character by declaring they have more influence than was previously claimed by another player (of course they can't lie about it). Really quite a good game, very tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks all. I've played City Hall, Tammany Hall so will need to re-review them and the others mentioned.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigismundus Augustus: Dei gratia rex Poloniae
You play as Polish nobility trying to win favor at court

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to get ahold of, but if you can track down a copy of Princes of the Renaissance, I think it would suit your fancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kremlin

Although it's a bit stylistic, I would say your criteria solidly describes Illuminati: Deluxe Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
mb
I would say Kingsburg, though it may be a bit lighter in tone than what you are hoping for. Still a good game though, particularly with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is my understanding that you're looking for something in the mood of Die Macher?

Also, +1 Churchill of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) does this. You are able to bid on the influence tracks and depending on where you end up it affects various mechanics such as turn order, special ability use, and combat ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:
In Junta El-Presidente gives out offices (that provide power) to the other players at the beginning of each round. He then divides up the budget among the players. He hopes that he made enough of the other players happy enough that they don't overthrow him.

The Republic of Rome has players jockeying for all kinds of political positions and influence. Its not quite a simulation but it is intense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers by Rick Heli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.