3 Posts

Hyperborea» Forums » Variants

Subject: Building Cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: The Ares Project fanMicrobadge: Drum fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Arboretum fan
After awhile, the ruin tokens begin to disappear and you lose options. I wish there were more tanky options/conservative options in the game. Of course you have tech and victory points to work out but still, being aggressive typically gives you some nice stuff. I thought it would be cool to be able to build cities on depleted ruin spaces that can used each reset.

Idea #1: Use the ruin tokens to "buy" other ruins.

Pretty much, once you accumulate and use ruin tokens you may exchange them for others in the pile, Once you do this you can place it face up in a depleted ruin space of the same color (bronze, silver, gold) where it can be use every reset.

Each color has a ruin point value...

Bronze has 1 ruin value
Silver has 2 ruin value
Gold has 3 ruin value

Each ruin token has a cost to be converted into a city...

Bronze City cost 2 ruin points
Silver City cost 3 ruin points
Gold City cost 4 ruin points

So for example you have three bronze ruin tokens and two silver (a total of 7 ruin points), in order to build a bronze city you must have two ruin points - so you could trade a silver ruin token to buy one or trade two bronze ruin tokens to build one. This action does not need any cubes to activate, you may build at anytime on your turn as long as you have units in that hex.

Maybe you can build multiple cities on a space and everytime you use it you may pick which one to use.

First, it adds another interesting base building aspect which is cool. Second, it places more value on conquest but enables you to bunker down. And lastly, you can use those pesky tokens instead of having them sit around all game!

Idea #2 Destroy cubes to create cities

Pretty simple except you can't destroy grey cubes. Cubes that can be destroyed must be from the three you take at the beginning of your turn (or end).

City cost would be different...

Bronze City cost 1 cube
Silver City cost 2 cubes
Gold City cost 3 cubes

The tokens you can choose from are ones you have depleted already.

These are some rudimentary ideas. Would love some feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PhilosopherMicrobadge: Fencing fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
I like the ideas!

Some balance issues with destroying cubes to reach the fabled 1 turn reset cycle, which obviously combos with the new reusable city location you just created. ;-)

The city building sounds interesting - love to hear how it goes. I'm going to attach this to:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349524/new-faction-pow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: The Ares Project fanMicrobadge: Drum fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Arboretum fan
Ah, I see. Whoops. Yes, I will try to get some playing in soon. Thank you for the reference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls