Subject: Yggdrasil Pillage - do winning units remain between ages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fan Microbadge: I have a nemesisMicrobadge: Animorphs fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!
This came up in our (first) game last night and we wanted to verify we did it right. We had pillaged all the outer provinces, and all that was left was Yggdrasil. Sure enough, player 2 started a pillage there, and we all piled in everything to make a giant royal rumble.

Player 2 ended up winning the pillage, thus ending the age. Our understanding was that all the losing units got sent to valhalla - thus, player 2 had the only units left on the board, sitting on Yggdrasil.

It seemed wrong that he got to keep units on Yggdrasil, but we couldn't find any rules reference stating that units got sent home or anything. So in the second age, first player passed to him, and he immediately pillaged again before any of us could invade units. He ended up winning (but he did outplay us in a few other ways too).

We were of two thoughts about this interaction - either A) there's a rule about clearing Yggdrasil we couldn't find or B) we played like idiots (first game!).

Which was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
www.GameBrainPod.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only read the rule book (game hasn't arrived yet), but this seems correct to me.

Nobody had any units in other provinces that could invade Yggdrasil when he attempted to pillage -- remember, everyone gets a chance to move in units to an adjacent province when a pillage is announced.

Strategically seems like it might not be a great idea to leave the board empty but for one player in Yggdrasil who also just so happens to be first player next turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Węgrzyn
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no units clean up as far as I know. You should've known better. Sure there are tons of variables but it wasn't a secret Yggdrasil will be the most important pillage and you all knew who's gonna go next. I bet you could react to his march. Sometimes it all comes down to draft, burning battle potential of a player or posing a threat elsewhere, you simply got outmanouvered that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoskins
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 22 of the rulebook under the Release Valhalla Stage.

Quote:
Any figures on the game board remain there.
The exact same thing happened to me on my first play through. Live and learn I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
...and we all piled in everything to make a giant royal rumble.........or B) we played like idiots (first game!).
Sometimes the thing not to do in a game is the same thing not to do in real life! Has a giant royal rumble ever been a good idea? Pick your battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Blue
United States
flag msg tools
AndySzy wrote:
We were of two thoughts about this interaction - either A) there's a rule about clearing Yggdrasil we couldn't find or B) we played like idiots (first game!).

Which was it?
All units that survive Ragnarok begin the next age in play. This includes figures in Yggdrasil. And yes, this means that a player might be able to easily pillage Yggdrasil. That might seem like an insurmountable advantage, but it's not quite as overpowering as you'd think.

Neon Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. All figures that are still on the board after Ragnarök stay on the board. Only the figures from Valhalla start back in your reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Arcadia Quest fanMicrobadge: Guardians of the Galaxy fan - RocketMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: I backed Mare Nostrum: Empires and Mare Nostrum: Atlas on Kickstarter
Neon Blue wrote:
All units that survive Ragnarok begin the next age in play. This includes figures in Yggdrasil. And yes, this means that a player might be able to easily pillage Yggdrasil. That might seem like an insurmountable advantage, but it's not quite as overpowering as you'd think.
Neon Blue
True. I've held Ygdrassil quite often and even did some double pillages - but that didn't mean I automatically won. Alas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls