Subject: Teaching using aslsk 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought aslsk 3 because I wanted a taste of what asl has to offer, and figured I could handle the rules without the stepping-stones of the first 2 starter kits. So far it is working out well. With Jay's tutorials and playing scenarios slowly by myself (and constant rulebook checks) I am learning the rules.

However, while I can learn the system this way, I am not confident in my ability to teach others by this means. I was hoping I could lure a few friends (and the odd family member) into the asl trap, but I think starting with the infantry-focused sk1 might have been better for that.

Does anyone have advice or experience teaching the uninitiated using sk3 as the starting point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tam
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
I bought aslsk 3 because I wanted a taste of what asl has to offer, and figured I could handle the rules without the stepping-stones of the first 2 starter kits. So far it is working out well. With Jay's tutorials and playing scenarios slowly by myself (and constant rulebook checks) I am learning the rules.

However, while I can learn the system this way, I am not confident in my ability to teach others by this means. I was hoping I could lure a few friends (and the odd family member) into the asl trap, but I think starting with the infantry-focused sk1 might have been better for that.

Does anyone have advice or experience teaching the uninitiated using sk3 as the starting point?
Teach with an infantry only scenario from ASLSK#3 or the first scenario from ASLSK#1 Retaking Vierville.

I taught someone using that scenario in 15 minutes. Just go into sequence of play, firepower, movement and TEM. They are simple concepts. The defensive fire concept is probably the most complex aspect but you can teach that in detail during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have aslsk#1. thus the partial concern. sk3 has one infantry-only scenario, joseph 351, which I thought was very good, but comments on here suggest it may not be the best for a learning game. (I think I read a comment to that effect in one of the AARs for that scenario)

should I set up a simple example scenario to walk through the SOP, playing out an example, scripted turn, then jump into joseph 351 at a snail's pace?

Also: related, but partially tangential. My father in law is a WW2 history buff who has expressed some interest in playing a WW2 themed game, but is not really a big "gamer" so to speak. Should I try to nudge him in this direction, or show him Axis & Allies (is that a heretical term here?) and be happy with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Enemy Action Ardennes fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: Call of Cthulhu RPG fan
There are more infantry only scenarios here, but not sure if any of them uses the mapboards from ASLSK#3:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLSKOffi...

However, ASLSK#1 is very cheap and most definitely worth every cent, so I would recommend just buying that if you want to teach others how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jack,

If you do go with ASLSK #1, make sure you get the 10th anniversary edition. The rules have been cleaned up since the first version of ASLSK 1.

Hope this helps and good luck on your ASL journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smythe
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dan Verssen Games fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Victory Point Games fanMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
If you're going to teach someone the game using ASLSK#1, the single most important player aid I've found is:

http://grognard.com/info1/aslsksheet.pdf

It's a super easy to use tip sheet that has the basics of the sequence of play, helpful tables, marker removal, and important DR values to remember!

Love it!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Microbadge: To infinity ... and beyond!Microbadge: EastFront fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
greggie66 wrote:
Jack,

If you do go with ASLSK #1, make sure you get the 10th anniversary edition. The rules have been cleaned up since the first version of ASLSK 1.

Hope this helps and good luck on your ASL journey!
I found that the changes were more clarifications, and pretty minor, so the latest edition isn't essential. Besides, the #3 rulebook should incorporate all the changes.

The errata from the first edition is listed here:
http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLSKOffi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls