Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play a lot fillers, nor do I particularly enjoy them. However, I do like to have in collection "after dinner" games that I can play with friends or family who have played games like Catan or Carcassonne before. I have some good ones for up to four players (King of Tokyo, Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, Pandemic), but would love for a few options that play 5-7 players (must play at least 5, but up to 7 would be great). I recently played Between Two Cities, which really intrigued me and I might pick up for this category, but would be interested in other suggestions.

Here are some preferences, and some games that didn't quite match:
Not a Social Deduction game (The Resistance)
Not a 10 minute game. I would prefer 20-45 minutes. (One Night Ultimate Werewolf or Coup)
Not a gateway game. I like Cash and Guns at times, but I would like something that has some strategic choices.
I would prefer either Simultaneous Action Selection (drafting) or the actual decisions to be shorter. For instance, I like Cinque Terre in this category, but I find "choose 3 of these actions" to sometimes harder for newer games.

Again, I am aiming for games for people who have played some games before. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders might be some thing like what you're after.

Not that many games play 5 to 7 players in less than an hour, but yet are 'substantial' (what I take from your 'not a gateway game').

Another good option would be San Juan. Normally it's only 4 player, but we used the expansion to make it a 6 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't really find 7 Wonders that great without the Cities and Leaders expansions, and with them it is a little more complex then I would like in this category. I meant to specifically mention that 7 Wonders is a no-go for me, because I figure it would be the first mentioned.

Also, Space Cadets: Dice Duel was a total flop for me as well. Everyone I played with found it too stressful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is great for 5-7.

I'd also look into Shadow Hunters. It has some deduction in it but has a lot more depth than Resistance and the other ones listed.

7 Wonders is a game everyone should have, especially with up to 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fennic wrote:
How about Citadels
Well, so far we have great suggestions, but they are also a laundry list of games that I don't really enjoy.

Bohnanaza I actively dislike, Citadels is okay at best, and Shadow Hunters is more of a social deduction game than I am looking for (although I need to try it again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Would Libertalia work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! The Dice Game Is a pretty good game.
Might be classified as a "filler" game.
But its simple, portable, and pretty good!
Also, King of Tokyo can be played with more then 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bouthner
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games come to mind.

Rise of Augustus
Very underrated game, easy to teach and plays in 30 minutes with up to 6 players and has simultaneous action like you requested. It probably falls into the gateway game category but you should give it a try, it definitely rewards strategic planning.

Stockpile
Only plays up to 5 but is a really really great game, dont let the stock market theme scare you, even if you have no interest in the stockmarket this is a very fun auction game. Again this is easy to teach and plays in about 45 minutes but this is a very strategic game that rewards the astute players.

Roll for the Galaxy
Roll for the galaxy also only plays up to 5 but is a great game, can be a bit tricky to teach at first but I have found people tend to pick it up pretty quick once they start playing. This game also has simultaneous action and can be played in 30-45 minutes. A really great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Sushi Go! too 'gateway'? 2–5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
If your friends enjoy games with a "gambling" feel, Manila and Camel Up might warrant your consideration. Manila plays five and Camel Up plays seven (or eight even?), both can be played in under an hour and both allow for some degree of meaningful decision-making.

Dark Moon plays well with five or seven, but I suspect you may consider this a social deduction game.

Just throwing my $0.02 into the pot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Eh... if I might be so bold, I think your requirements as outlined are a bit... challenging.

7 players with 45 minutes total play time means each player gets 6 minutes total (assuming a minute or two of setup/tear down time) across the entire game. Assuming a player gets at least 6 turns before the game ends (which seems reasonable for any kind of individual strategy to come to fruition), that leaves about 60 seconds per player per turn, as the absolute maximum.

That's not really enough time for deep 'strategic choices', IMHO. If you doubled the time allotment... or capped the players at 5... I dunno, some possibilities come to mind, but otherwise...

*oof*, dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally
Samurai Sword -bang without player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Zendo does fine with seven. I highly recommend it.

Incan Gold is great for seven, and has simultaneous selection.

Nuns on the Run does well with seven. This is my weakest recommendation as, in my experience, it tends to take longer than BGG says.

For only six, TransAmerica works great. For six with simultaneous selection, try Ruse and Bruise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm guessing you aren't into Wits & Wagers for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up - plays quick and can get rowdy
Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg - my absolute favorite game with 6
Pit - loud and fast, good icebreaker, easy to learn
Panic on Wall Street! - haven't played this one, but it's on the list
Mysterium - awesome game with a group, easy to learn
Ca$h 'n Gun$ - speaks for itself I think?
Revolution! - plays 6 with expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: LutheranMicrobadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Games that play more than four, are beyond gateway level, and play in 20-45 minutes is a pretty narrow definition. Something you might look at is the Eight-minute Empire series. The original game goes to 5 players, and the Lost Lands version goes up to 6. Game play is tight and quick, but there is decent substance there.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution plays great with 5, haven't tried 6 yet but could be okay. Plays in roughly an hour, likely less with the full 6 people.

Las Vegas + Boulevard is a nice combo for that number. You can add or remove the expansion modules as you see fit as well to alter the game.

Jamaica is great at 5 and 6 and has simultaneous action selection. It's probably already been mentioned.

Dice Town + Expansion plays 6 and is a hoot, and reasonably fast.

Shadow Throne is a great little card drafting game. Plays fast, max 5 people.

Colt Express plays 6 and has the right play time and hilarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Colt Express if you don't mind a bit of light-hearted silliness.

+1 Mysterium for something social. Feels very "after dinner" to me.

Steampunk Rally - drafting phase and simultaneous action phase mean this plays pretty quickly. Not sure if the mechanics and tone are right for you but I find it offers some good choices and is a great time to play laugh

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mysterium
+1 to Stockpile- But plays only upto 5

If you like you can check out Fearsome Floors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised I'm the first to recommend Codenames. Seems to be a perfect fit

Camel Up is also really cool with that amount of players.

I'll throw in some more obscure games here that work really well with 5-7 players:

Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game
Oriente
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
Evolution plays great with 5, haven't tried 6 yet but could be okay. Plays in roughly an hour, likely less with the full 6 people.

Jamaica is great at 5 and 6 and has simultaneous action selection. It's probably already been mentioned.

Colt Express plays 6 and has the right play time and hilarity.
+1 to these three! Evolution is a great suggestion and Colt Express is fun with the right crowd. Not a fan of Jamaica myself, but it fits your requirements very well and is enjoyed by a wide range of gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are not many quick games for 5-7 players but I would recommend Tsuro ord Tsuro of the Seas. 6 nimmt! is also good but perhaps too light for you.

(If you don't mind indie games, I've made some attempts myself with quick games/large player counts: Mingle & Murder and Comrade.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFettuccine wrote:
Bohnanza is great for 5-7.
Good suggestion here I think. I was surprised how much game there was in those stupid lookin cards.

Quote:
7 Wonders is a game everyone should have, especially with up to 7 players.
NO NO NO NO NO, stop playing 7 wonders with 7 just because it can. It's not social across a table, so pointless playing with larger groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
neoshmengi wrote:
Camel Up - plays quick and can get rowdy
Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg - my absolute favorite game with 6
Pit - loud and fast, good icebreaker, easy to learn
Strategic?? If the ice isn't broken after an entire meal, you're screwed.
Quote:
Panic on Wall Street! - haven't played this one, but it's on the list
That's a pretty good suggestion actually I think
Quote:
Mysterium - awesome game with a group, easy to learn
Nothing says social like one player having to remain utterly silent and empotionless!
Quote:
Ca$h 'n Gun$ - speaks for itself I think?
Not if you read his actual post where he discounts it specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |