Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Games vs. Video Games. Which is better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! FatNastyNerd here! I was having a discussion with a few of my friends who are avid video game players while I, also someone who loves video games and has been playing them since I was 5, am now more of a board game fanatic.

Well, the topic came up on which one was better and while you can poke holes in either argument, I said that board games are better for 3 reasons.

1. You'll almost never rage quit a board game. Mainly because you invest more time in setting up the game and getting everyone ever it would be ridiculous to rage quit because then you'd have to pick it all up. Lol

2. Board games bring a better social interaction than video games. Yes, with video games you can technically be playing with thousands of people but it's not personal. You're playing the same game but not really together. I know when I play multiplayer, I mute everyone because it annoys me when people talk while I'm trying to concentrate.

3. Board games tend to be more solid than video games. What I mean by that is that because board game companies don't have as big of a market to sell to, they have to be more careful on what they put out because if the game sucks, they'll eat the cost and it'll hurft them, whereas as video game company can keep putting out crap games year after year and still make money.

I definitely want to know your thoughts on the matter and I also want to stress that I love video games and I do avidly play both! This is just a topic that has interest me for awhile!

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
To be fair:

1. I've seen plenty of people rage at board games. I think this has more to do with what a game is. Leaving the table when you are in person and playing a 60+ minute game is very different than quitting a game with strangers that has a 10 minute round. If you were playing a long video game with friends, I doubt you'd rage either.

2. I play video games with friends while on skype talking to them. That's not that much less social in my mind.

3. Meh. There are games that are great. There are games that are crap. That's true in both genres.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Na, I've raged on Halo and Smash bros before so playing with friends and strangers is no different to me. That has been in person as well.

2. I still think there's something special about being in person with friends.

3. That is true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both entertainments and there is certainly enough room for both so why choose one over the other?

I don't think I've rage quit anything since I was a very young lad.

Video games today are nearly as social as sitting around a table for me. I primarily play with friends I've known for years and we all use some type of voice chat (Teamspeak) which is just as good as sitting next to one another. You just can't see expressions and faces but knowing those people for years I can easily imagine the scowls or smirks at the right time. I enjoy playing games online and sitting around a table pushing cardboard, both excellent uses of my time.

There is no quantifiable evidence that board games are more solidly tested than video games. There are plenty of duds being published just like there are plenty of dud video games being developed and sold, and if you think for one second that a poor selling video game can't hurt a developer then you have much to learn! Most game development studios live and die by the project they are working on. Very few can suffer even one poor selling title. The same can be said for a board game publisher, it's an even tougher market to make mistakes in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's very little incompatibility issues/bugs, except for maybe when your games table isn't big enough.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FantasyNerd8 wrote:
1. You'll almost never rage quit a board game. Mainly because you invest more time in setting up the game and getting everyone ever it would be ridiculous to rage quit because then you'd have to pick it all up. Lol
I disagree to an extent. If I'm not enjoying a game, I'll be vocal about it. I play games to have fun and learn strategy. If I'm not having fun, I don't want to play.

Quote:
2. Board games bring a better social interaction than video games. Yes, with video games you can technically be playing with thousands of people but it's not personal. You're playing the same game but not really together. I know when I play multiplayer, I mute everyone because it annoys me when people talk while I'm trying to concentrate.
I agree, but it also depends on how/when/where you play video games. Some people play video games with other people in person (think Smash Bros. and Rock Band).

Quote:
3. Board games tend to be more solid than video games. What I mean by that is that because board game companies don't have as big of a market to sell to, they have to be more careful on what they put out because if the game sucks, they'll eat the cost and it'll hurft them, whereas as video game company can keep putting out crap games year after year and still make money.
Not entirely true. There are more indipendent video game publishers today than ever before. There's still the big companies, but it would be wrong to discount all the indie devs.

Quote:
I definitely want to know your thoughts on the matter and I also want to stress that I love video games and I do avidly play both! This is just a topic that has interest me for awhile!
I think they're both good, but in different ways, for different things, and for different reasons.

Video games are, for the most part, less social, but they're always available if you can't get a group of friends together. So they're more reliable than board games.

I think, at least for the most part, board games have more replayability than video games, because most video games take longer to play than video games, and have a set beginning and end that you often can't finish in one sitting. With board games, oftentimes, you can play multiple all the way through in one sitting, which makes it a lot easier to go back, refine your strategy and do better. I would compare online or local multiplayer (or video games that focus on these aspects) a lot more comparable to board games than the single player modes you often get with video games.

I think there's more variety with board games, but I should be clear that I think there's a lot more variety in indie video games than in mass market video games, and I think the indie video games are a lot more comparable to board games than the mass market ones.

I could probably go on, but my fingers grow weary.

Thanks![/q]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Games don't go out of date.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
There's very little incompatibility issues/bugs, except for maybe when your games table isn't big enough.
I run into this issue a lot. Lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good! The reason why I'm asking these question is to get more viewpoints that just my own. I agree. I think I'll make the more replayability argument more often. That's what I orginally thought but I forgot about it. Lol

Thanks! I could go on as well but I feel like it's an argument not worth having.

I still love video games! Maybe I'm just hurt because Halo 5 was a let down. Lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Board Games don't go out of date.
Neither do video games, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Board Games don't go out of date.
Neither do video games, though.
Unless the OS becomes unsupported
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bourne
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
They're both have qualities and flaws.

For a board game requires co-ordination, set up, dedicated time. While for a video game it can be a spur of the moment game of FIFA (usually a few more). In saying though, board games are great for level footing. While I've got certain friends who will wipe the floor with me in a video game aspect, everyone is equal (to a degree) with a board game.

This is really important when trying to introduce people in the wonderful world of gaming. No one likes losing, but never having a chance is even worse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does one have to be better than the other? While both are forms of entertainment, both are good for different reasons.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I prefer board games over video games is that with the former I can see a direct connection between my decisions and their consequences. With video games too much is hidden from view for my liking.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
The main reason I prefer board games over video games is that with the former I can see a direct connection between my decisions and their consequences. With video games too much is hidden from view for my liking.
That's a good point! I like that!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranerdar wrote:
Why does one have to be better than the other? While both are forms of entertainment, both are good for different reasons.
It doesn't. Lol I just figured it'd be an interesting topic
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Board Games don't go out of date.
Neither do video games, though.
Unless the OS becomes unsupported
I can't think of any video game that can't at least be played through an emulator.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For development, all board games (because I stink at programming after trying to write my own games).

But for just playing, I like both, but am currently biased to board games because they're unplugged and face to face. I do the weekly MMO with old friends but prefer tabletop, it's just cooler. Also the kinds of video games I like (e.g. anything turn-based) are out of vogue now and hard to find outside kickstartrer projects.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
For development, all board games (because I stink at programming after trying to write my own games).

But for just playing, I like both, but am currently biased to board games because they're unplugged and face to face. I do the weekly MMO with old friends but prefer tabletop, it's just cooler. Also the kinds of video games I like (e.g. anything turn-based) are out of vogue now and hard to find outside kickstartrer projects.
I was going to get into programming video games but then found that trying to make a board game is a lot easier! Lol and that's how it is for me as well, I prefer the face-to-face feel of a tabletop game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Board Games don't go out of date.
Neither do video games, though.
Unless the OS becomes unsupported
I can't think of any video game that can't at least be played through an emulator.
That's true. An emulator through a computer that may or may not be able to handle it though. To be able to play older games that way, it could cost a lot of money for a decent console. Granted, I did spend around $1500 on my PC. Haha!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer games are instant gratification, can be extremely addictive and once a session has ended leaves me feeling empty and like I've achieved nothing.

Board games are more social in a different way to voice-only computer games, like a long-distance relationship can't substitute everything. The frame rate is always better. They can be taken anywhere.
I feel energized after meeting others for table games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both are great, and they serve different purposes for different people. For me, I tend to play video games when I'm playing by myself, but board games when I'm with other people. I enjoy both equally.

Personally, I think gaming is gaming and I don't think that we need to set up artificial barriers between different types of gaming, so there's no need to declare one type is better than another.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the setting and my mood. There are some great videos games but there are some great board games as well.

Video games seem to be more accessible so I think they're more common.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to pipe in here and agree with the first response. I am on my tablet right now in a waiting room, so I didn't take the time to scroll through and read all the responses, so I do not know if it was addressed further, I am in a hurry to post my opinion before my name is called.

I too have see plenty of rage quits in board games - that has everything to do with the player and nothing at all with the medium. I have even seen my cheerful, sunshine personality mom have a bad day and walk away in frustration.

I also don't think you are being nearly fair enough to the social aspect of online gaming. It is a huge part of it, and has no less of an impact simply because you are not "in person". I remember when I was away from home for a while and it was my only connection to my friends back home for over 9 months. Those times were just as special as being face to face around a table like I can now that I am back home.

And also, yes, there are great games and crap games in both. Like someone else said, they fulfill different needs for different groups. I overlap both quite heavily, so I am pretty sure I am not biased here.

I love both types of game equally, and it is not fair for one to be considered any better, worse, more sophisticated, etc. than the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Board Games don't go out of date.
Neither do video games, though.
Unless the OS becomes unsupported
In this day and age, there is almost always an emulator or other way to solve that, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |